Why do cats stop eating their regular diet ?

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have been doing great . Eating wet food twice a day and a bit of kibble at night .  Then Sunday night  and Monday morning  neither cat  would eat anything I offered . They had several brands of wet food they were eating and the Purina kibble . The only thing I changed was going from Purina One kibble to Purina Pro Plan kibble .  Could that be the problem ?  It really scares me when they refuse to eat so  I   always keep a

3 pound bag of Friskies 7 for emergencies such as this .

My cats would sell their tiny little souls to the devil for a taste of Friskies 7 .  I gave each one  a rounded 1/4 cup and they cleaned the dish .  Usually after they finish the 3 pound bag they will go back to their regular diet . 

Should I go back to the Purina One kibble then or something better  ?  My cats really hate change even minor ones apparently ..

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like they definitely don't like the new food.  BUT, did you try to transition slowly?  Doesn't sound like it.  For kibble, you really should transition slowly.  Try mixing 1/4 of the new with 3/4 of the old and give that to them for a few days.  If they eat it ok and have no issues, then up the new food to half and half and serve that for a few more days.  If no issues, then up the new again to maybe 3/4 new and 1/4 old.  No issues?  Then you're good to go with all new food and hopefully by then they'll like it. 

But as you already know just by their reaction to the Friskies 7, some foods just taste better than others.  Apparently some foods also taste worse

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds like they definitely don't like the new food.  BUT, did you try to transition slowly?  Doesn't sound like it.  For kibble, you really should transition slowly.  Try mixing 1/4 of the new with 3/4 of the old and give that to them for a few days.  If they eat it ok and have no issues, then up the new food to half and half and serve that for a few more days.  If no issues, then up the new again to maybe 3/4 new and 1/4 old.  No issues?  Then you're good to go with all new food and hopefully by then they'll like it. 

But as you already know just by their reaction to the Friskies 7, some foods just taste better than others.  Apparently some foods also taste worse
Thank you for your reply .  Yeah , I did mix  the two kibbles for a few days . Since they liked the Purina One so much I figured they would like the Pro Plan as well since they are similar ingredients .  I guess I was wrong .  Thankfully due to my emergency stash of Friskies 7 they are eating really good  so after the 3 lb bag is gone I will go  try their usual wet foods again as well as the Purina One .. 

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my! So strange your cats stopped eating again! I know the ingredients are virtually identical, but could the supplier be different from region to region? Could it be the different water at the plants? There has to be something obvious we are missing. Keep posting updates. Maybe one day someone here can crack the mystery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! So strange your cats stopped eating again! I know the ingredients are virtually identical, but could the supplier be different from region to region? Could it be the different water at the plants? There has to be something obvious we are missing. Keep posting updates. Maybe one day someone here can crack the mystery.
Thank you so much .  Well they are doing fine , they are eating good just not the previous diet .  That is why I always keep a bag of Friskies for emergencies like this ..  They love it and will always eat it .. 

I think their must be a slight change in taste between the Purina One  and the Pro Plan and that is what upset them .. 

For now I will let them eat the Friskies kibble then I will add in the Friskies Classic Pate .  I do want them to eat wet food too.