Why did cats get labelled as "low maintenance" pets?

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been musing on this for awhile. Frankly, cats, (minus the outdoor potty breaks) require the same level of care as a dog. I like the fact that I can keep the litterbox super clean and the cats can handle their own bathroom needs if I have to be out for a few hours, but other than that, their needs are pretty similar.

I found this one article on the internet that talked about "starter pets." It said that all these pets were a good "starter" for your kids so that you could eventually work up to the "ultimate pet"--a dog. 

One of my cats I acquired from a relative who was considering dumping him on the side of the road for not using the litterbox. I adopted him and after a lot of dollars spent on food, litter, Feliway, medicine, etc. we worked through that issue. He's a great cat. 

Do people have cats because they think that they are low maintenance and then when they find out that they aren't, end up neglecting their needs or dumping them? 

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you may be on to something.  I think I found the article you referred to ... and I'm appalled.  If I'm correct about the article, it seems that someone with that sort of attitude would be best suited to sticking with the final option of "pet rock".

I mean, the thing with cats is that, they *seem* easy--right up until you get to the point of actually caring about the cat and realizing that yes, the litterbox *does* need to be cleaned more often than once a week and that cats *do* need entertainment and acceptable scratching spots. Sure, a cat can take care of himself/herself when the people are gone to work/school, but that  doesn't really make them "low maintenance".  And since nearly every cat I have ever known has had very low tolerance for mistreatment, I'm not sure that I would get a cat for a child who could very well end up being scratched rather badly if parents aren't carefully monitoring since the child can't read the "leave me alone" signals that a cat generally gives off before taking action.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I completely agree that a pet rock would be the most suitable pet for many people. 
 And yes, it does sound like you read the same article as me. 

The whole concept of "starter pets" gives the impression that the starter pet isn't as important as other pets. Parents often say that they get a pet to teach their child, "responsibility." Getting a pet and then failing to meet it's needs and having it meet a premature grave as a result is an excellent way to teach a child irresponsibility and disregard for life. I mean, that article that I read made light of fish fighting to the death or hamsters escaping. (it suggested that one might be happy if the hamster escaped) Not cool. 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, a lot of people do seek out a cat because they feel they are lower maintenance and can be left alone for long periods.

I see this a lot with our rescue. Someone that "doesn't have the time to devote to a dog" seeks out a cat. Despite suggesting TWO cats in these situations, many only want one. Our rescue used a foster to adopt process and so far, every cat placed in these types of homes have come back to us, mainly because the adopter deems the cat "too affectionate"...

I always wonder what happens to cats that are from the humane society, etc and go to these types of homes. I'd be very interested to do a "where are they now" a month, 6 months and a tear down the road.

And, don't get me wrong, I'm not judging the shelters/rescues here. Most all have the same goal of putting animals into long-term loving homes. But, I do see others that are simply looking to have a high positive turnover rate.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, a lot of people do seek out a cat because they feel they are lower maintenance and can be left alone for long periods.

I see this a lot with our rescue. Someone that "doesn't have the time to devote to a dog" seeks out a cat. Despite suggesting TWO cats in these situations, many only want one. Our rescue used a foster to adopt process and so far, every cat placed in these types of homes have come back to us, mainly because the adopter deems the cat "too affectionate"...

I always wonder what happens to cats that are from the humane society, etc and go to these types of homes. I'd be very interested to do a "where are they now" a month, 6 months and a tear down the road.

And, don't get me wrong, I'm not judging the shelters/rescues here. Most all have the same goal of putting animals into long-term loving homes. But, I do see others that are simply looking to have a high positive turnover rate.
I can't speak for all of the cats adopted out The Humane Society, but I can speak for one.

I adopted Toothless (then Twila) 4 years ago out of an over crowded Humane Society shelter in a very low income city. The cat was intended as a pet for my then 11 year old daughter. I made the wrong assumption about cats... but living with Toothless opened my eyes. I was always a dog person, but thanks to my sweet shelter girl - I am head over heels in love with cats. She is an overly affectionate cat and I am so grateful that I have earned her love and devotion.

I have to say though, I know pets take work and demand attention. I knew when I adopted Toothless we were in it for the long run. Her life is in my hands and I never intend to fail her.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Please don't think I was making a generalized assumption about those that adopt from Humane Societies. But, I do wonder about cats from humane societies as a whole because there really isn't any follow up (at least in my area) once an animal is adopted.

I'm so happy that toothless is apart of your family and has taught you about cats! And, I know there are others like you that care committed to the animals they bring into their lives. But, not everyone is like this and, unfortunately in rescue, you are more exposed to the negatives than typical people are.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please don't think I was making a generalized assumption about those that adopt from Humane Societies. But, I do wonder about cats from humane societies as a whole because there really isn't any follow up (at least in my area) once an animal is adopted.

I'm so happy that toothless is apart of your family and has taught you about cats! And, I know there are others like you that care committed to the animals they bring into their lives. But, not everyone is like this and, unfortunately in rescue, you are more exposed to the negatives than typical people are.
I think your concern about shelter pets is not only warranted, but it's devotion to animals altogether. I thought adopting Toothless was going to be a longer, thorough process. It was $95 and a form. So I too, see exactly why this can be an issue. A cat (or any animal) has no home, gets a home, and then is dumped some where because people took that animal's life lightly. The only one who suffers IS that poor animal who did nothing wrong.

I'd love to buy a purebred something er other, but I won't. The only animals in my house are the ones who really needed the home. I'd like to help maintain the over population of cats, not contribute to it. So my female is spayed. My boys will be neutered next week (and I never allow them out). My heart just breaks when I hear of an animal in need.

I just wanted to share with you one shelter story that has a happy ending.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the reason people think cats are low maintenance is because they "can" be left alone for hours a day and not do any harm to your home. Nobody seems to stop and think, hey, what about that whole process to getting them where they are fine to be on their own for awhile?
In my opinion, NO pet is low maintenance, and no child should ever have a pet all on their own (I do believe growing up with animals is soooooo important) until they're at LEAST eight years old.
I've never had any easy pet, I've had dogs, I've had cats, I've had rabbits, I've had sugar gliders, you name it, I've at least been around one. Every single one of them had their own twenty page novel on how to not only care for them, but to make sure they are happy.

I think maybe that's the key to it all, people view care as the only part of having an animal. Many people completely forget about actually keeping an animal happy and satisfied.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The humane society that I got Mingo from does follow up. Before I got out door, they made me promise to return him to them and no one else if it didn't work out. They called four days later to see how it was going and then, at one month. A year later they sent me an email and gave an address to send pics to if I wanted. They were very concerned about their animals.

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
DreamerRose, it's so good to here that your HS does follow up to make sure the animal is in good hands. And, I know there are others that do as well. Here in the South where I am, this doesn't happen that much...but, we are also VERY behind on many things, such as spay/neutering laws. Not to say other places don't have problems, they do, but most of our state and surrounding states have many rural areas where cats especially multiply and multiply...all this plays into people's views on animals being disposable and the belief that a cat can just be dumped outside and fend for itself.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Toothless came from a shelter in MA, but I'm guessing their thought process was if someone is spending $95 on a cat they won't just dump it somewhere. There was zero follow up with her. They do spay, neuter, and chip every animal that they rescue and adopt out however.

I've since moved to the south and it was a bit of a shock realizing the shelters don't spay automatically.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catpack,you are right of course. Many years ago,we were driving from Atlanta to Charlotte on I-95 and as we came around a curve, there were four black kittens by the roadside. A sheer bluff was behind them; they had no where to go but out into the interstate. As we passed, one looked up with its mouth wide open, crying. They were all fluffy long hairs. One was already dead. My husband asked if I wanted to stop, and I said no, thinking someone else would pick them up. I've never forgiven myself for that and still get chills remembering that crying kitten. After the weekend, we drove back to Atlanta and as we passed the location where the kittens were, I looked over and there were four black lumps in the gravel. I can't forgive myself, but as you say, if there had been a place in Atlanta to take them to, I'm sure I would have asked my husband to stop.

Last edited:

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could be wrong but I don't think that it's very common for chipped animals to get dumped. Most people hopefully know that if they dump a chipped animal somewhere and it gets sent to a shelter, they'll get it back anyway.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a cat outside my husband's workplace.  Someone adopted the cat and took it to the vet.  It was chipped and the owners no longer wanted the cat.  So chipping doesn't keep a cat from being dumped.

I also spoke to a woman at a PetSmart adoption event and someone had moved out of her apartment building and left the cat behind.  It was also chipped, but they didn't update the info or pay the fee to keep it current.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Exactly as handsome kitty handsome kitty has stated. Chipping, unfortunately, doesn't equate a cat staying in a home, though I sooo wish it did! We see cats and dogs here with chips that simply are not registered or kept current.

Our rescue chips our cats, one reason being that if they are turned out by owners, they can helpfully be brought back to us. This has happened for one of our cats. He was adopted out at 8 weeks old and was picked up by animal control (in a completely different city than his home as we knew it) 4 years later. If it weren't for his chip he would have likely been euthanized as AC had stated he had reverted back to being feral.

This kitty is NOT feral, though does have some issues (which he needs meds to help with). But, can be loving around people he chooses. He's just a particular cat.

kikilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Didn't read the whole thread (stealing time at work) but I encourage you (if you didn't already) to email the author/periodical of any article you come across which suggests such a thing.  Cat's are REAL pets.  Not flippin goldfish (no offense to the goldfish).  But now that you mention it, I don't even think there should be such a thing as a "starter" pet.  ANY creature that a person decides to begin caring for... be it a gecko from the local reptile store or a lil piglet... you can't just abandon it fend for itself when you get bored/financially strapped, etc.  I you don't want the responsibility of lovingly caring for another life, don't take on the job.  It's not required and just leads to a horrible end for the dear little life.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so right. Pets are a lifetime commitment, not something you can pass off if you move or they get sick.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree, pretty much no such thing as a starter pet. 

Even goldfish require rather detailed care to live their full lifespan. For example, many people don't know that goldfish need extremely large tanks. Yes, they can "grow to the size of their tank," but it will kill them much sooner. Goldfish can live for 20 years. Yet they get a reputation for having a "short lifespan" because most people don't take care of them very well and they die prematurely.

I have two goldfish in a 29 gallon aquarium and they badly need an upgrade. We'll be saving money to buy a much larger tank for them. Goldfish also require proper water PH and filtration, as well as correct cleaning. When they are switched to the new tank, the tank should be allowed to cycle before transferring them over. 

I got my 2 goldfish almost 3 years ago and they're huge now, compared to the tiny babies that they were when we got them. 

Last edited:

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've only ever had cats but I haven't found them to be THAT much work.  I do find having two easier than one in that they keep each other company and they take out "the sillies" on each other.  The first few weeks with my current cats was tough as since they were barn cats they had zero litterbox experience and no experience with small children.  So the training and socialization took some patience.  Now the biggest work is Pepper likes to pee on my son's clothes when they are left on the floor.  I can't get him to stop (he knows how to use the litter box and it's clean and with his preferred litter) so am trying to teach my son to put his clothes away but he doesn't believe me (or understand...he is special needs) that the cat WILL pee on his clothes when on the floor.

They are definitely real pets though!  I think their smaller size and not-quite-so "yippy" personalities make them less intimidating.  We are getting a dog soon so I guess I'll find out how the maintenance levels compare!

cuddlemum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we got a cat because we rent and in the sense of renting they are " low maintence" in the sense you don't have to get up in the middle of the night to take the cat out for a wee like you do a dog. I grew up with dogs so I know about 2am wake ups for the loo lol.
Also to me cats don't make as much noise either so neighbours can't complain about the cat barking lol. We have a indoor cat only as he had the cat flu long before we got him. I have seen here in Australia I think it's easier if you have a cat when renting and get approval cos they don't do as much damage to a property like a dog can. Dogs can dig holes and can bark and howl etc , don't get me wrong I love dogs, always have but here in Australia I think you get more dogs surrendered then cats because of that reason. I hope to buy a dog in the future as we live in the country know and hope to buy a property one day.
Renting can be hard with pets as some owners don't like pets, but we have been lucky, I said to my husband that if we apply for a place and get it but say no to the pets I don't want to live there. I am not giving up my pets up for anything.
But cats are high maintence in the sense that they can be rather picky about food and the litter boxes and so on. Cats are harder to train too. But to me cats are far more entertaining , they do the funniest things and you can really have a good laugh with them when they jump around chasing a toy. In the end they are still a pet and they need to have a safe home with food shelter and water to thrive. But they become part of the family.

We have had a guniea pig, fish and a budgie since I have been married. and grew up with dogs ( my parents even had budgies, chickens and a rabbit when I was very young, but I don't remember ) and they are all different but all still have the same basic needs.
Pets I think give life enrichment, and it's always nice at the end of the day to come home to a pet that needs you and misses you when you not there. I think animals are nicer than some people sometimes, they don't judge you and love you for being you :rbheart: