Why did cats get labelled as "low maintenance" pets?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From someone that has had both cats and dogs. I say dogs take A LOT more work. Especially if you actually care about your pet. A dog if easy if you stick it in a room or cage for the day and just walk it at night. I see my neices two dogs stuck in a garage all day, and they fight and pee everywhere.

If you actually put time into it, dogs need to be trained, they need to regularly go outside for exercise. if you dont have a yard, you need to go with them, and spend time walking them.

my cat is pretty easy going. she asks me for attention a couple of times a day. i pet her, or play with a cat toy. i give her food 3x a day. Clean out her litter box twice a week (litter robot).

It really doesnt compare to me anyway. It might be different for someone else. 

Also, like Cuddlemum says, cats are quiet, dogs bark. I live with a family member with an american bulldog. He barks incessanrtly, its the most annoying thing in the world. He sees a child outside our gate and he goes to bark at the poor child. He hears any noise, he barks. Someone in the family visits, and he barks. Its a loud incessant bark that hurts your ears. he is a sweet dog, but not easy to deal with (i help with his care). He spends all day wanting to go outside to pee all the time, we constantly have to take him out and bring him in. When he is done, he will stand at the door barking until you let him in. Then awhile later he wants out again.

During most of this show, my cat will be sleeping like an angel on her cat tree.

Last edited:

kikilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HA!  Nice!

I tell you... since I started working at a shelter, I've become both more impressed by humans and deeply disappointed as well.  I'm so impressed by how much love, passion and kindness shelter workers and volunteers have for the animals in their care.  The WORK that goes into saving lives has blown me away.  I volunteer at Cat Town in Oakland, whose mission is to take the difficult to adopt cats from the Oakland shelter, give them lots of time, attention and a beautiful cage-free environment... and sometimes intense veterinary care (broken bones, damaged eyes, flea infestation, you know....).  In the two years its been operating, the euthanasia rate at the Oakland shelter has gone from an horrific 47% to like, 12%... and dropping.  I'm so proud to be a part of this partnership.  The disappointment has been in regard to the number of cats that are surrendered because, quite simply, their people didn't want to deal with them anymore; there are a number of justifications that they use, but quite frankly, every time we get a cat that iss being abandoned to the shelter after 8 years or so of being a part of a family (so it thought)... I just want to punch someone.  Pets are not a temporary situation, and if your life changes then it's your responsibility to find and new, loving home for that animal.  I'm sure there are people in tough situations; death of a care giver, etc.  But the majority just seem to be "new boyfriend doesn't like cats" or "we had a baby."  wtheck?!?!  I'm preaching to the congregation here, I know.  But I'm in an ornery mood today.