Whole husk psyllium and flaxseed for constipated stubborn cat

dustylylac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

So Motchee's new thing is to pooh every 3 days now, we took him to the vet the other day and she recommended Metamucil psyllium, I don't like sugars and additives, so I grabbed Organic Whole Husk Psyllium; we'll see how that goes. 

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a constipated cat, he stays fairly hydrated these days but he's strictly wet food cat now due to his previous case of Struvite. So the vet says his diet basically consists of fried chicken w/ no fiber. 

Also, anyone try flaxseeds, whole or ground?  Is that safe for a cat? He east two cans of Weruva with added water every day sprinkled with C/D dry food to control his Struvite. 

Thank you 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Constipation is very individual in terms of what works. It's a matter of being hydrated and of retaining water in the stool. Sometimes fiber is beneficial, but the type of fiber matters (soluble vs. insoluble). Sometimes fiber makes things worse. It's very much trial and error. There are two sites I would recommend reading.

http://www.felineconstipation.org/

http://www.catinfo.org/#Some_Final_Thoughts

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope your vet warned you about the need for a LOT of water when using psyllium husk? There was a member here who added it to the food (with extra water), but it made the constipation worse, because it wasn't nearly enough water. It's very difficult to use psyllium husk in the right amount and to get enough water.

Many members use pumpkin if you think fiber will help; others use miralax, if what is needed is a stool softener to help kitty pass a build-up of stool.

I highly recommend reading the link provided by vball91, felineconstipation.org

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Psyllium husk made my Boo's constipation worse. Psyllium husk is considered a bulking fiber, which means it adds volume. His stools got so big, he had trouble passing them, and it was painful for him. Boo's stools were hard and compacted, so what he needed was moisture. I've increased wet food in his diet and I add extra water to it. I bought two water fountains that I clean every other day and add fresh water. He loves drinking from those. I also have him on Miralax, which works by drawing water to the colon. The only problem with Miralax is that the body does get accustomed, so the dose has to be increased over time if on it long-term.

Boo has been doing really well. The last time he got backed up was when I was away for a weekend, and he only had dry food. I really cannot skip wet food or the Miralax.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know many kidney kitty owners who use slippery elm bark.  Have you tried that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustylylac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your advices! So good news, Motchee absolutely LOVES pumpkin apparently?! I did notice after reading some of your posts and researching more, that the Husk was turning into a thick paste when mixed with his wet food; Motchee doesn't have a problem with bulk, he needs movement, so I'm a little weary of the Husk now.  Couldn't find Elm Bark over here in HK sadly. 

http://www.felineconstipation.org/  this site is amazing, so informative especially for a dumby like me :) I had no idea his little intestine was so twirly!

So today I boiled up some pumpkin, through about 2tbs into some tuna and water and he ate it like it was a Big Mac. I also got him to pee 3 times yesterday by increasing the water in his food. Hopefully a soft happy pooh will visit tonight and not an angry hard monster in 2 days time lol

Thank you again everyone! I really appreciate it. A