White kitten with grey stripes/spots on head..

oddeyedkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I'm new to the forum - found my way by trying to figure out a breed of cat - I have noticed several white kittens in rescues, shelters, & I'm now fostering one... but they are solid white and have 2 or 3 grey stripes on their head. The one I am fostering now is a VERY long haired kitty. I have noticed the other ones are short haired. I'm just curious to what gene or breed is this most common in.. She also has a green eye and a blue eye.

Here is a picture:
http://groups.msn.com/AlabamaandGeor..._Message=33803

We just picked her up at the shelter and that was the picture that was on the website.

Thanks!
Tina

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by oddeyedkitty

Hi,
I'm new to the forum - found my way by trying to figure out a breed of cat - I have noticed several white kittens in rescues, shelters, & I'm now fostering one... but they are solid white and have 2 or 3 grey stripes on their head. The one I am fostering now is a VERY long haired kitty. I have noticed the other ones are short haired. I'm just curious to what gene or breed is this most common in.. She also has a green eye and a blue eye.

Here is a picture:
http://groups.msn.com/AlabamaandGeor..._Message=33803

We just picked her up at the shelter and that was the picture that was on the website.

Thanks!
Tina
Welcome to TCS...she's a Domestic Medium Haired White Tabby with Gray. Very pretty. BTW...without knowing her parents...it would be difficult to say whether there was any purebred in her.

Katie

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Editing my post to say that she is an Odd Eyed White Domestic Longhair

(My previous post said Van, but now I realise she is a kitten - anyone else actually seen a van with a white tail?)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katie, Turkish Van is a breed and Van is a colour.

The "Van" pattern is of course colour on head and tail - but there are some exceptions to this and sometimes Vans can have an all white tail

BUT silly me I just realised since she is a kitten, that's probably just her genetic spot and the colour on her head will fade and she will be an all white kitten

If she was an adult and had just that colour on her head, it would be a fault to have an all white tail.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you mean blue not black? You can get all sorts of different coloured Vans. Blue, black, red, cream, red tabby, smoke etc

Actually you can get a Van with a white tail - but that is a fault as I pointed out.

I breed Persian & Exotic Bicolours, working towards Vans.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, you posted as I was posting so I went back to edit. I'm saying blue becuase it's grey, which is usually called blue if that makes sense.
Also her spot/stripe may not fade, Missy's looks the same now at 1.5 years as she did as a kitten.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Katie, Turkish Van is a breed and Van is a colour.

The "Van" pattern is of course colour on head and tail - but there are some exceptions to this and sometimes Vans can have an all white tail

BUT silly me I just realised since she is a kitten, that's probably just her genetic spot and the colour on her head will fade and she will be an all white kitten

If she was an adult and had just that colour on her head, it would be a fault to have an all white tail.
Without knowing the parents..wouldn't it be a mistake to refer to this kitten as anything but Domestic Medium Haired or Domestic Long Haired? Because I've heard over and over again how much breeders hate the misrepresentation of cats as a certain breed without any papers.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She IS a cutie - lovely longhair odd-eye white (with really good eye color too). Most times the little bit of color on the head of a white kitten will fade with time. It may be due to the fact that the kitten is carrying that color genetically. I'm not sure why they show up, but most times it will disappear when they are grown.

If it doesn't its a good "conversation" starter - and something a bit unique if you show in the HHP class.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oddeyedkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!
I'm sure she's just a mixed breed of sorts - DLH with some flair but just wondering what causes the whole solid white cat w/ grey stripes on the head.. they aren't tabby stripes, just solid grey streaks like someone took a greasy rag and smudged her.

Thanks again, as I'm learning.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Without knowing the parents..wouldn't it be a mistake to refer to this kitten as anything but Domestic Medium Haired or Domestic Long Haired? Because I've heard over and over again how much breeders hate the misrepresentation of cats as a certain breed without any papers.

Katie
Katie,

I am referring to her as Domestic Longhair. I've come to the conclusion she is an odd eyed white Domestic Longhair - I realise after seeing the picture a few times that she is indeed a kitten.

Yes as you probably know I'm one of those breeders that hates misintepretation like that. But I never said she was a certain breed, just colour possibilities. Reread my first post in this thread.

(editing this to say - as I just edited my first post instead of looking back to that, look back to your first quoted post of mine)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joecool

Sam is right. Those spots will probably fade, and she will be a beautiful all white cat with odd eyes.

Sam, here is a question for a breeder. Are those spots indicative of the white/blue eyed deaf gene or the white gene unrelated to hearing?
Hi Joe,

No those spots indicate what colour the cat masks. For example if a cat has red spots - then they are masking red. Etc etc

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

lol, you posted as I was posting so I went back to edit. I'm saying blue becuase it's grey, which is usually called blue if that makes sense.
Also her spot/stripe may not fade, Missy's looks the same now at 1.5 years as she did as a kitten.
That's right!
and in that case she would be a Van (still a Domestic, Katie
) with a white tail.

Does Missy have a white or coloured tail??

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oddeyedkitty

Thanks!
I'm sure she's just a mixed breed of sorts - DLH with some flair but just wondering what causes the whole solid white cat w/ grey stripes on the head.. they aren't tabby stripes, just solid grey streaks like someone took a greasy rag and smudged her.

Thanks again, as I'm learning.
Glad we could help out!

If you would be so kind as to stick around the site and let us know in a few months what happens to her streaks?

I'm actually leaning towards they will stay - they look quite big for genetic spots.

Gorgeous kitten BTW. You're very lucky!

joecool

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someplace so boring i am slowly but surely losing
sorry sam, my meanypants sis decided to close my reply before i could send it earlier.

I meant, that there are two different genes for white and two different genes for blue eyes. Are the spots indicative of either set of genes? One white gene and one blue eyed gene creat deafess. Is it this gene that is the dominant, potentially deafening white gene, or is it the other?

Hope this made sense.
Joecool

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

That's right!
and in that case she would be a Van (still a Domestic, Katie
) with a white tail.

Does Missy have a white or coloured tail??
she has a white tail with grey on the underside(green/yellow eyes). Baker has a red stripe (light brown eyes) and red at the tail base, Betsy (blue eyes) has half grey half red head stripe all white tail (2 of her kittens)

Thanks for your info, I've been calling her a faux turkish van
Missys mother (a stray)has a black stripe and full black tail as a turkish van would no idea on father I have seen a DMH all white cat around but don't know the sex.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oddeyedkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish I could keep my little Leia but she's a foster for the local rescue group and will be adopted out next month after she is spayed. I'll miss her because she is quite the spoiled little kitten who expects you to carry her everywhere you go and watch her eat. She sleeps in the bed with me and is a PERFECT lap cat.

However, as sad as I will be to see her go, the rescue puts prospective adoptive homes through a very intense application process so I know she will have an excellent home. Also, if I keep all the kittens I foster, I won't have room to save more...

In fact, I just started fostering a tortoiseshell kitten who is about 2 weeks older than Leia. She was a few days from death but has the biggest purr box despite her snotty nose and runny eyes. I've named her Turtle.