White Kitten Is Stained Dark Yellow. Help!

Pumpkinbar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I got an all white Persian from a "breeder" that is closing up shop. Probably shouldnt have spent money on him, but I couldnt leave him.

Anywho.. hes in good health (had him checked today by a professional) but his fur is stained HORRIBLY on his paws, belly and face. It's like he stood in pee colored mud. It's also very thin, we think it might be from the over use of powder flea treatment on him.

Any tips or tricks on how to get the stains out? Hes also only about 6 weeks (she claims she thought he was 8 weeks).

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs might have some suggestions.

You can try a bath with blue Dawn Original dish soap. Use as little soap as possible (no suds) and rinse thoroughly. Dry with a towel and keep the kitten out of drafts until completely dry. Wet kittens easily get chilled. Don't use a hair dryer or anything like that because it's too easy to burn a kitten even if you think you're holding the thing far away.

Stained fur is annoying to look at but won't interfere with the kitten's health. When the kitten is older and the fur starts to grow out some, a groomer can gently clip the stained parts off.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he's been sick and drooling, the saliva has enzymes that will discolor the fur. I don't know of anything that will remove the stain safely, but the fur will eventually grow out and be replaced. It could be his natural coloring and the breeder lied about him being all white.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the fur is stained there are 2 ways to deal with it- first I do not recommend and that is using a bleaching shampoo. That will make his coat more likely to stain again, setting up a viscous cycle. I don’t even know the names of a safe shampoo either. The best thing is to just wait. The staining will grow out eventually. For the eye stains showing in the photo, you can try Eye Envy, available on line.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs Have you ever used Eye Envy? I am skeptical about the colloidal silver, though I have read that it does have antibiotic properties but I don’t know whether it works for the specific bacteria responsible for tear stains. So many people use it as a cure-all.

I don’t mind tear stains on my animals enough to treat them with anything, just curious.

Thanks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
External use of colloidal silver is fine, and beneficial. Just don't take it/give it internally.

I agree with just letting his fur grow out (though he may still need a bath if he's smelly or dirty). He was probably kept in dirty conditions and now that he's in clean conditions it should grow out nicely.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Eye Envy as well. Both the liquid, followed by the powder. I haven't tried making my own but I only have one cat so it's not cost prohibitive. At any rate, it's the best commercially available stuff that I've used to help keep the fur around my Himi's eyes clean. That said, he still has minor staining between his eyes and nose. He's got a pretty extreme face so he is going to experience tearing. Perhaps if I used it daily, it would eventually remove the stains completely but I'm lazy and he hates his eye area cleaned. The eye envy allows me to clean every 4 or 5 days which keeps up with it pretty well.

Probably not very helpful. Just my experience with the stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pumpkinbar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the help! Hes been getting regular baths, and even though hes still quite yellow, his fur is growing back in, his skin is healing and his eyes arent as goopy. Hes eating great, head gained some weight, and hes the most spunky little guy ever.