Which Song Lyrics Have You Misheard?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always thought when singing along with Creep by Radiohead, he was singing,"I'm a creep, I'm a widow." which I thought was strange. He's actually singing "weirdo", :lol2:. I looked up the lyrics recently when I posted in in another thread. So for 25 years or so I've had it wrong.:doh2:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I didn’t mishear this lyric, but my brain mistranslated it: “Carry On Wayward Son” by Kansas. For years my brain said “sun” rather than “son,” which is ridiculous. I just realized my mistake LAST YEAR, and the song came out in 1976. It was playing on the radio as I was driving, and suddenly I realized it was “son.” :doh:

And when Carly Simon sings “You Belong to Me,” the lyric sounds like “why’d you tell me this, were you looking for my erection.” :lol: I knew that wasn’t right, but it really does sound like that. I thought, though, that it must be “affection.” But then I heard Michael McDonald cover it, and I realized it was “reaction,” which makes much more sense! :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
bbdoll22 bbdoll22 you, too!

When I was a kid and we learned God Bless America I thought that we were asking the deity to "stand beside her, and guide her, though the night with a light from a bulb" vs "a light from above." All my lights came from bulbs then.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another one I just remembered today as I was stuck at a 4 way stoplight reaching a mile in each direction (that gives ya time to think, you know.)
The Cars, "You're all I've got tonight". When it first came out, I thought they were singing "You are like God tonight" :lol:

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Beatles' I Want to Hold Your Hand has the following lyrics:

And when I touch you
I feel happy inside
It's such a feelin' that my love
I can't hide
I can't hide
I can't hide

I and many other people think "I can't hide" sounds more like "I get high." I saw an interview with John and Paul years ago where they were asked about that. They said they were singing "I can't hide" but the look they gave each other right after answering made me wonder.:rolleyes:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And when I touch you
I feel happy inside
I can't hide
I can't hide
I can't hide

I and many other people think "I can't hide" sounds more like "I get high." I saw an interview with John and Paul years ago where they were asked about that. They said they were singing "I can't hide" but the look they gave each other right after answering made me wonder.:rolleyes:
They were probably thinking "aw, man, that's way better" lol. And then they probably started saying it half the time at later performances.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise

And when I touch you
I feel happy inside
I can't hide
I can't hide
I can't hide

Maybe the look they gave each other was for "I can't hide" something naughty ;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was he saying?
"Revved up like a deuce", apparently. Which doesn't sound much better to me, lol. It must be a car term, but that's not what I think of when I hear "deuce" ;).
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded By The Light Lyrics | AZLyrics.com

Also, you can't always believe the lyrics pages, sadly. I always thought they got their lyrics from the record companies or something, but just the other day I realized most of the lyrics pages had some wrong words for The Sound of Silence. Only one had it right. So if it's a particularly sticky lyric, be sure to compare several sites.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I heard "Give me the Beach Boys" when the Doobie Brothers sang "Give me the beat, boys"!

A friend once understood "warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air" as "one paraplegic...." . She's never lived that down.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Revved up like a deuce", apparently. Which doesn't sound much better to me, lol. It must be a car term, but that's not what I think of when I hear "deuce" ;).
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded By The Light Lyrics | AZLyrics.com
"Deuce" means a 1932 Ford Coupe.

In the 1950's, guys used to buy old cars and soup them up. The 1932 Ford was a cheap, old car at the time and became popular car to build a hot rod from.

The Beach Boys song, "Little Deuce Coupe" is about a 1932 Ford.

1932 Ford - Wikipedia

It was actually Bruce Springsteen who wrote the song, "Blinded by the Light." Manfred Mann got it from Springsteen.

Since Springsteen wrote the original lyric, it's easier to understand why he said, "revved up like a deuce." He probably had one.

Although I liked Manfred Mann's version of the song better, the lyric, "revved up like a deuce" sounds out of place without Springsteen's context.