Which Cat Breed Is Right For Me? Maine Coon Or Ragdoll??

Which do you think I should buy?

• Maine Coon

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Ragdoll

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
abyeb abyeb has pointed out the pros and cons and I will add, it looks like they typically charge $600 - $800 for a retired breeder. That seems a bit high to me. Typically I've seen retired breeders in the $350 range at 2 to 3 years old but that may not include spay and neuter. I can't remember for sure but probably not. It makes me wonder why such a drastic reduction for a shy cat that doesn't get along well with other cats but, they breed for temperament? Just saying. Did you ask if it got along with their dog? I would definitely want to meet the cat before making a decision. I also didn't see pricing on kittens or how long they have been breeding. They do include a lot with the purchase with microchip and spay and neuter. For some reason it seems like ragdoll breeders include spay and neuter. I've never seen a MC breeder do that.

On their facebook page it appears they are breeding British shorthair and longhairs as well. Could this be a red flag? Maybe abyeb abyeb would chime in here on that. The facebook page isn't that active and they are soliciting reviews. Another red flag? Their kittens are not being reserved immediately from what I see. Most of the MC breeders I'm looking at either have a waiting list if they take deposits or if they don't they post pics and if you don't reserve within 24 to 48 hours...your out of luck. Another red flag? The breeders I'm considering their facebook page is pretty active and people are ewing and ahing over their cats. Does this mean anything? Maybe not! Is it something to consider? I think so, as an overall picture. They do say they are a hobby breeder and maybe they are fairly new at it and just haven't developed a rep and clientele at this point. Everybody has to start somewhere. Their cats do look to be purebred and registered so it looks legit. I'm just giving you ideas of things to look for. I would find out how long they have been breeding.

I can't speak to RD's but my past MC's weren't really high strung kittens. Most people commented on how laid back and docile they were. It was almost 17 yrs ago since I had a kitten but I remember it being fairly easy to raise them. I just set them in the litter box and said. This is where you poop, litter box. OK, litter trained. This is your food and water, set them in front of the bowls. OK, eating good! Set them in front of scratch pad, took their paws and mimicked scratching and said, this is your scratch pad, you don't scratch furniture! Started using the scratch pad and that one really shocked me! My last MC literally used it like 15 mins. later. The only problem I remember was my last MC had a sensitive stomach and I had to switch his food. He had a bad case of diarrhea because of food coloring in the food I was feeding him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She said she is selling her "so cheap" because she doesn't have the typical Ragdoll personality. Ragdoll's are supposed to be sweet, people oriented and loving and this cat hides from people and isn't the friendliest. It's a red flag to me that a breeder would breed an animal that doesn't have the correct personality type, especially if you boast breeding for personality! An unfriendly cat breeds unfriendly kittens. I wouldn't want this cat anyway.. I want a Ragdoll (or MC) because of their amazing personalities, that's what we've talked about this whole forum. I'd rather go through the trials of a kitten then buying an adult cat with some personality issues. Again, this is my first cat.

Pixxelated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my opinion you are right to consider that a massive red flag. I have had a look on their website and it kind of bothers me they offer a “worldwide shipping”. Ok, that is to others breeders and you can argue it diversifies the genepool. But you can bet that’s gonna be one highstrung kitty. Not to mention, why take the risk with your champions?

Dozens of cats die every year on planes due to dehydration and hypothermia... and just in case they mean they ship kittens with breeding rights off worldwide. Yeah no. That’s even worse.

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to ask her how much a pet quality male kitten would cost. I'm 99% sure I would never purchase from this woman, I'm just "playing the field" I suppose and learning the norms. I'll probably talk to several breeders before ever choosing one

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to ask her how much a pet quality male kitten would cost. I'm 99% sure I would never purchase from this woman, I'm just "playing the field" I suppose and learning the norms. I'll probably talk to several breeders before ever choosing one
I’m not a breeder myself, but I know several from cat shows. Usually around $800-$1000 is typical for a pet-quality kitten, but there is some variation depending on breed and the breeder’s credentials, meaning that a cat from a reputable breeder who is just starting out will cost less than from another reputable breeder who is breeding from a long line of regional and national winners.

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've owned both maine coons and ragdolls. Maine coons are stunning but I strongly prefer the ragdoll personality - not to mention they're also quite cute! It's just a matter of what you're looking for.

I've had three purebred maine coons throughout my life and all of them tend to be more aloof, they're not cats you have to worry about leaving alone for a day. They're also *menaces* indoors and have a very high prey drive. If there's no actual prey to chase, be prepared to play with them a lot and expect that they'll get destructive if you don't wear them out.

It was impossible to keep any of our maine coons inside once they were fully matured, they outsmarted us every time. I'm talking about ripping open window screens, figuring out how to open sliding glass doors, etc. We lived in the woods with a large number of birds around and they were just obsessed with getting at them. We ended up relenting and allowing them out during daylight hours under our supervision once they were adults. They still managed to hunt a surprising amount of prey even during off-peak hunting hours.

I'd also add that maine coons have a tendency to be vocal. There's basically a maine coon language. Expect trills, chirps, meows, and howls. Their purring tends to be quite loud as well.

Maine coons also have a tendency to be possessive. Every maine coon I've had has picked a favorite person and stuck to them like glue. They're not the most affectionate cat breed in my experience, but they want to be near their person as often as possible, which sometimes gets territorial. One of our maine coons would chase away all other pets if they came near my mom.

I currently have a ragdoll named Ted. He's SUCH a sweetheart. He's very cuddly and loves to be near me, he follows me around the house and sleeps above me while I work all day. He's not vocal at all unless he's upset and his purr is so quiet you almost can't hear it. He's true to the floppy cat reputation that ragdolls have and doesn't mind being picked up as long as you don't want to carry him around like a baby for too long. He's very social and has accepted my other pets quite well, he was my first pet when I moved away from home.

Ragdolls are *big* - bigger than all but one of the maine coons I've had. Don't bother getting a cat box, get a sturdy plastic tub instead. Even the xxl cat boxes aren't big enough for Ted. Be prepared to scoop dog-sized poops and clumps of pee that can easily weigh somewhere around a pound. I wish I were kidding, I have a medium sized dog and what Ted leaves in the box is sometimes more than what my dog produces.

Ragdolls are prone to separation anxiety, so if you're someone who is going to need to travel often or if you have to spend long stretches of time away from home regularly a ragdoll might not be the best choice for you.

Overall I would definitely recommend either breed but personally I see more ragdolls than maine coons in my future :)

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to chime in to say that cats breeds dictate less about personality, size, and needs than dog breeds do. There are friendly, grounded, dog lovers of every breed and the opposite in every breed. If you want long hair, I would go interact with young adult long haired cats at shelters, rescues, and breeders. You'll find an individual you love and it might end up being a ragdoll, mc, or something else entirely. Don't limit yourself by picking just one breed right now. Go meet cats that fit a look you're going for, the right one will pick you.

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've owned both maine coons and ragdolls. Maine coons are stunning but I strongly prefer the ragdoll personality - not to mention they're also quite cute! It's just a matter of what you're looking for.

I've had three purebred maine coons throughout my life and all of them tend to be more aloof, they're not cats you have to worry about leaving alone for a day. They're also *menaces* indoors and have a very high prey drive. If there's no actual prey to chase, be prepared to play with them a lot and expect that they'll get destructive if you don't wear them out.

It was impossible to keep any of our maine coons inside once they were fully matured, they outsmarted us every time. I'm talking about ripping open window screens, figuring out how to open sliding glass doors, etc. We lived in the woods with a large number of birds around and they were just obsessed with getting at them. We ended up relenting and allowing them out during daylight hours under our supervision once they were adults. They still managed to hunt a surprising amount of prey even during off-peak hunting hours.

I'd also add that maine coons have a tendency to be vocal. There's basically a maine coon language. Expect trills, chirps, meows, and howls. Their purring tends to be quite loud as well.

Maine coons also have a tendency to be possessive. Every maine coon I've had has picked a favorite person and stuck to them like glue. They're not the most affectionate cat breed in my experience, but they want to be near their person as often as possible, which sometimes gets territorial. One of our maine coons would chase away all other pets if they came near my mom.

I currently have a ragdoll named Ted. He's SUCH a sweetheart. He's very cuddly and loves to be near me, he follows me around the house and sleeps above me while I work all day. He's not vocal at all unless he's upset and his purr is so quiet you almost can't hear it. He's true to the floppy cat reputation that ragdolls have and doesn't mind being picked up as long as you don't want to carry him around like a baby for too long. He's very social and has accepted my other pets quite well, he was my first pet when I moved away from home.

Ragdolls are *big* - bigger than all but one of the maine coons I've had. Don't bother getting a cat box, get a sturdy plastic tub instead. Even the xxl cat boxes aren't big enough for Ted. Be prepared to scoop dog-sized poops and clumps of pee that can easily weigh somewhere around a pound. I wish I were kidding, I have a medium sized dog and what Ted leaves in the box is sometimes more than what my dog produces.

Ragdolls are prone to separation anxiety, so if you're someone who is going to need to travel often or if you have to spend long stretches of time away from home regularly a ragdoll might not be the best choice for you.

Overall I would definitely recommend either breed but personally I see more ragdolls than maine coons in my future :)
When you say "long stretches" from home, how do you mean? I'm a major homebody and like to stay home, and my pets are my favorite things in the world... but I am still human and leave the house LOL. I don't have a job where I'm on a strict schedule, gone 8 hours a day though. For traveling, I don't often but for example I'm going to Australia + New Zealand for 3 weeks next April and Portugal for at least 1 week, maybe 2 in August. But, the cat would have the company of dogs as well.

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to chime in to say that cats breeds dictate less about personality, size, and needs than dog breeds do. There are friendly, grounded, dog lovers of every breed and the opposite in every breed. If you want long hair, I would go interact with young adult long haired cats at shelters, rescues, and breeders. You'll find an individual you love and it might end up being a ragdoll, mc, or something else entirely. Don't limit yourself by picking just one breed right now. Go meet cats that fit a look you're going for, the right one will pick you.
When it comes time to actually going out and getting the cat/kitten, I will look in my local shelters. I've volunteered in most of them! But I'm not there yet and just researching different parts about owning a cat, including breeds. But again, I'm more keen on going to a reputable cattery. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you guys think about Scottish Folds? They're the only short coated breed I find particularly attractive (you can thank Taylor Swift for that LOL). Do you think their personality is something that would fit with mine? Are they very athletic and energetic?

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not a breeder myself, but I know several from cat shows. Usually around $800-$1000 is typical for a pet-quality kitten, but there is some variation depending on breed and the breeder’s credentials, meaning that a cat from a reputable breeder who is just starting out will cost less than from another reputable breeder who is breeding from a long line of regional and national winners.
My eyes just went SO big! Her pet quality kittens are $1800. OH MY GOD.... no thank you LOL.

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you say "long stretches" from home, how do you mean? I'm a major homebody and like to stay home, and my pets are my favorite things in the world... but I am still human and leave the house LOL. I don't have a job where I'm on a strict schedule, gone 8 hours a day though. For traveling, I don't often but for example I'm going to Australia + New Zealand for 3 weeks next April and Portugal for at least 1 week, maybe 2 in August. But, the cat would have the company of dogs as well.
By long stretches I meant if you had a demanding job that required you to be out of the house regularly for 9+ hours. Having the company of other pets does mitigate that a bit, but in my experience ragdolls are real people person and not a great choice for people who don't plan to devote a significant amount of time to them. It sounds like your lifestyle would be a perfect match for a ragdoll though! I travel multiple times a year and while my ragdoll definitely misses me he's adjusted and when I'm home, I'm home the majority of the day as I work remotely.

Also saw that you're looking for input from people who own scottish folds - I have one of those too! (haha I swear I'm not a hoarder, I have 3 cats :p ) He's actually a 'scottish straight' but everything's the same except for the folded ears - in most scottish fold litters a few will have straight ears.

Scotties are absolutely adorable and incredibly sweet cats. My cat isn't a lap cat but he's not super independent either. He frequently comes to visit me throughout the day - he stops by my workspace for a few minutes of petting and then he's off again. He's also very loving towards the other cats - I think he may even prefer the company of cats to people, haha!

He's goofy and loves to play. He's very observant as well and a lot of our bonding time happens when I'm working on a project like cooking or cleaning, because he absolutely loves to watch everything I do. I don't have extensive experience with scotties though, this is my first and I couldn't make generalized statements about them the way I could about ragdolls and maine coons. I would definitely get another one in the future though, he has the most adorable face ever.

I'm a bit biased, but if you were in the market for more than one cat I would say get a scottish fold and a ragdoll, mine are BFFs :D

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
What do you guys think about Scottish Folds? They're the only short coated breed I find particularly attractive (you can thank Taylor Swift for that LOL). Do you think their personality is something that would fit with mine? Are they very athletic and energetic?
Scottish Folds are one of the most relaxed breeds, in line with the Ragdoll activity-level wise. They do come in both short- and longhaired varieties.

It’s important to note that not all Scottish Folds have folded ears. The gene responsible for the folded ear mutation is the dominant SF, meaning that a cat needs only one copy of the gene to have folded ears. A problem, however, arises when a Scottish Fold has two copies of the SF gene. You see, the reason for the cat having folded ears in the first place is due to a cartilage defect. The result of this is that cats who are homozygous for SF develop osteochondrodysplasia, a crippling arthritis developed early in life. This problem can only be avoided if a cat heterozygous SF/n is bred to a cat who has NO SF alleles, meaning that they’re homozygous recessive for the non-folded ear (n/n). In other words, a folded-ear cat must be bred to a Scottish Fold with straight ears. Statistically, then, only 50% of a litter will have folded ears.

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By long stretches I meant if you had a demanding job that required you to be out of the house regularly for 9+ hours. Having the company of other pets does mitigate that a bit, but in my experience ragdolls are real people person and not a great choice for people who don't plan to devote a significant amount of time to them. It sounds like your lifestyle would be a perfect match for a ragdoll though! I travel multiple times a year and while my ragdoll definitely misses me he's adjusted and when I'm home, I'm home the majority of the day as I work remotely.

Also saw that you're looking for input from people who own scottish folds - I have one of those too! (haha I swear I'm not a hoarder, I have 3 cats :p ) He's actually a 'scottish straight' but everything's the same except for the folded ears - in most scottish fold litters a few will have straight ears.

Scotties are absolutely adorable and incredibly sweet cats. My cat isn't a lap cat but he's not super independent either. He frequently comes to visit me throughout the day - he stops by my workspace for a few minutes of petting and then he's off again. He's also very loving towards the other cats - I think he may even prefer the company of cats to people, haha!

He's goofy and loves to play. He's very observant as well and a lot of our bonding time happens when I'm working on a project like cooking or cleaning, because he absolutely loves to watch everything I do. I don't have extensive experience with scotties though, this is my first and I couldn't make generalized statements about them the way I could about ragdolls and maine coons. I would definitely get another one in the future though, he has the most adorable face ever.

I'm a bit biased, but if you were in the market for more than one cat I would say get a scottish fold and a ragdoll, mine are BFFs :D
I'll have to look into them more! They're darling to just look at! Someone I know also suggested the Exotic Shorthair. Does the Scottish have respiratory problems? They seem to have a bit of a smushed face. And obviously shorthaired cats are much easier to care for, grooming wise, but do they shed more than a longhair would? More specifically, a RG.

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Scottish Folds are one of the most relaxed breeds, in line with the Ragdoll activity-level wise. They do come in both short- and longhaired varieties.

It’s important to note that not all Scottish Folds have folded ears. The gene responsible for the folded ear mutation is the dominant SF, meaning that a cat needs only one copy of the gene to have folded ears. A problem, however, arises when a Scottish Fold has two copies of the SF gene. You see, the reason for the cat having folded ears in the first place is due to a cartilage defect. The result of this is that cats who are homozygous for SF develop osteochondrodysplasia, a crippling arthritis developed early in life. This problem can only be avoided if a cat heterozygous SF/n is bred to a cat who has NO SF alleles, meaning that they’re homozygous recessive for the non-folded ear (n/n). In other words, a folded-ear cat must be bred to a Scottish Fold with straight ears. Statistically, then, only 50% of a litter will have folded ears.
That's something that does concern me. As it does with certain dog breeds, let's say an English Bulldog for example.. I feel like it would be wrong of me to buy/support a breed of animal that is unhealthy/genetically mutated like that. Does that make any sense? Where does the line stop where looks is more important than the animal's health and prosperity? To be my own devil's advocate though, gosh are they beautiful

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When it comes time to actually going out and getting the cat/kitten, I will look in my local shelters. I've volunteered in most of them! But I'm not there yet and just researching different parts about owning a cat, including breeds. But again, I'm more keen on going to a reputable cattery. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
My point is not to tell you not to go to a breeder, but rather not to decide on just a RD or just a MC right now. Why not go visit breeders of both? and interact with both? If you can find breeders of some of the other cats you mentioned you liked the look of--go visit them too. Breed characteristics are not as distinct as you might think among cats and the right cat for you and your dogs might not end up being the exact breed you decide on beforehand. This is not to say you shouldn't narrow down the type of breeds you like. Just advising to go interact with cats of BOTH breeds when you're ready. Esp since you're planning on getting an older kitten or a cat, you'll probably be able to go meet and interact with the cat and get a good sense if it's the right one for you.

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My point is not to tell you not to go to a breeder, but rather not to decide on just a RD or just a MC right now. Why not go visit breeders of both? and interact with both? If you can find breeders of some of the other cats you mentioned you liked the look of--go visit them too. Breed characteristics are not as distinct as you might think among cats and the right cat for you and your dogs might not end up being the exact breed you decide on beforehand. This is not to say you shouldn't narrow down the type of breeds you like. Just advising to go interact with cats of BOTH breeds when you're ready. Esp since you're planning on getting an older kitten or a cat, you'll probably be able to go meet and interact with the cat and get a good sense if it's the right one for you.
Oh, of course! Thank you for clarifying what you meant :). I even plan on talking with Spyhnx breeders! I've ALWAYS wanted one, but upon research found out that their personality is the polar opposite of what I'd like- especially in my first cat. But individual animals will differ from typecast personalities, so there just might be a hairless baby out there just lazy enough to hang with me on a friday night watching Netflix LOL. Weird how I love the hairless cats and the extra fluffy ones.

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Scottish folds are brachycephalic, but not to the degree that persians or exotic shorthairs are. Comparing my scottish fold's face to his domestic longhair sister, the difference isn't drastic at all. He doesn't snore, pant or have any kind of respiratory issues, respiratory issues also aren't a common issue in the breed. According to wikipedia, the scottish fold's lifespan is an average of 15 years and their most common health problems are "Polycystic kidney disease (PKD)[12] and cardiomyopathy.[13] Scottish folds are also prone to degenerative joint disease, most commonly affecting the tail, ankles, and knees which can result in reduced range of motion.[5]" - a reputable breeder will happily provide health tests for the parents and I wouldn't even consider them if they didn't pass with flying colors. I'd also strongly recommend insurance for any cat regardless of breed, my domestic longhair cat has asthma which didn't develop until she was about a year old and insurance has been a lifesaver!

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Scottish folds are brachycephalic, but not to the degree that persians or exotic shorthairs are. Comparing my scottish fold's face to his domestic longhair sister, the difference isn't drastic at all. He doesn't snore, pant or have any kind of respiratory issues, respiratory issues also aren't a common issue in the breed. According to wikipedia, the scottish fold's lifespan is an average of 15 years and their most common health problems are "Polycystic kidney disease (PKD)[12] and cardiomyopathy.[13] Scottish folds are also prone to degenerative joint disease, most commonly affecting the tail, ankles, and knees which can result in reduced range of motion.[5]" - a reputable breeder will happily provide health tests for the parents and I wouldn't even consider them if they didn't pass with flying colors. I'd also strongly recommend insurance for any cat regardless of breed, my domestic longhair cat has asthma which didn't develop until she was about a year old and insurance has been a lifesaver!
How is the shedding with them? I imagine short haired breeds shed a ton more compared to long hairs

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How is the shedding with them? I imagine short haired breeds shed a ton more compared to long hairs
Typically longhairs shed more because they have a thicker coat, but Ragdolls will probably shed less than other longhairs because they have a minimal woolly undercoat.