Which Cat Breed Is Right For Me? Maine Coon Or Ragdoll??

Which do you think I should buy?

• Maine Coon

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Ragdoll

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Typically longhairs shed more because they have a thicker coat, but Ragdolls will probably shed less than other longhairs because they have a minimal woolly undercoat.
What I meant by shedding more is that it's more noticeable. Long coats need to grow long before it can fall out and I'm sure a lot of it gets trapped in it's coat instead of on the floor/on your clothes. At least, that's how dog's coats work.

Not that this matters though, I looked all over the internet (including TICA and CFA) at Scottish Fold breeders and Exotic Shorthairs remotely in my area- there weren't many. They all immediately reeked of red flags or were laughably priced. The cheapest breeder I saw had SF's for $2,000. Everything else went up from there.

Last edited:

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow that's crazy. :eek2: My scottish fold was about $600 with papers! Ragdolls shed, but it's not much compared to other cats. My scottish fold sheds but it's not the type of shedding you find all over the house - it tends to accumulate on his bed and other places he hangs out. The cat that sheds the most in my family is my domestic longhair, the house could burn down and you'd still be finding her hair weeks later! Brushing regularly helps :)

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All cats shed almost exactly the same amount. What is most noticable? White hair. Mine's a calico and most of her body is black and red, but I keep finding just white hair. It stands out against every color, every piece of furniture.

Thankfully I have a faux leather couch but if you have a black/dark couch don't get a white cat. If you have a white or light couch don't get a black cat.

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All cats shed almost exactly the same amount. What is most noticable? White hair. Mine's a calico and most of her body is black and red, but I keep finding just white hair. It stands out against every color, every piece of furniture.

Thankfully I have a faux leather couch but if you have a black/dark couch don't get a white cat. If you have a white or light couch don't get a black cat.

I'm cursed in the fact I like white pets and wear almost exclusively black clothes LOL. I once had a long coated white German Shepherd, she looked like a big white wolf. Man, she was beautiful but my clothes + furniture suffered

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow that's crazy. :eek2: My scottish fold was about $600 with papers! Ragdolls shed, but it's not much compared to other cats. My scottish fold sheds but it's not the type of shedding you find all over the house - it tends to accumulate on his bed and other places he hangs out. The cat that sheds the most in my family is my domestic longhair, the house could burn down and you'd still be finding her hair weeks later! Brushing regularly helps :)
Right! The prices have been crazy. I am in no position to spend thousands of dollars on a kitten.