Which Cat Breed Is Right For Me? Maine Coon Or Ragdoll??

Which do you think I should buy?

• Maine Coon

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Ragdoll

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I hope you're all doing well. This is my first time ever posting in a forum, so I don't know what to fully expect. Sorry in advanced if this is absurdly long or if I've posted it under the wrong tab. I'm just looking for some general advice and answers to a few questions. I imagine you guys have tons of knowledge and I'd love to learn! Sooo, I've decided to get a cat! While I have volunteered in shelters my whole life (I'm 22) and have even worked as a cat groomer, I've never owned a cat. I mean, I do own two Shiba Inu's and they're basically cats LOL. But since this is my first feline friend, I would like to buy an older kitten/cat from a reputable cattery- a retired breeder or show cat, perhaps. Though I am not opposed to adopting at all, I'm a huge dog lover (I'm a dog trainer) and have always gotten puppies from private breeders and it's just the route I'm most comfortable taking. After doing some research, I still can't decide the Maine Coon or a Ragdoll. I also had liked the Persian/Himalayan, Birman or a Norwegian Forest Cat.. but those two seem the most favorable for what I'm looking for. Now for my questions!

• Which one would you say is more laid back, cuddly, and dog like/people oriented? Not completely sedentary, but not so energetic/off the wall and getting into trouble. Also, while I want a sweet cat- I don’t want one that’s dependent to the point that it's needy and in your face constantly/can't be left alone
  • Which sheds less and requires less grooming on a weekly basis? I’m cool with doing a brushing two-three times a week, but every day seems excessive for me personally
  • Which breed is easier to find/less expensive to buy from a reputable cattery?
  • Which is healthier/is less prone to health issues down the line?
  • Which eats less? Kind of a silly question, but both are very big and like with a large dog breed, they probably eat a lot and that can add up in price!
  • Which is typically better with dogs/other animals? I know that’s more-so dependent on the individual cat, but figured I’d ask
So, is there one you think I would be a better fit for? I'd love to hear any thoughts. Thank you! :)

Last edited:

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Which one would you say is more laid back, cuddly, and dog like/people oriented? Not completely sedentary, but not so energetic/off the wall and getting into trouble. Also, while I want a sweet cat- I don’t want one that’s dependent to the point that it's needy and in your face constantly/can't be left alone
I've only had Maine Coons but it really depends on the individual cat. My experience with Maine Coons is that they appreciate they're alone time and are content to just be in the same room with you. I think MC's and RD's have a lot of the same characteristics.

Which sheds less and requires less grooming on a weekly basis? I’m cool with doing a brushing two-three times a week, but every day seems excessive for me personally
MC's shed a good bit and grooming 2 or 3 times a week should be fine. I always have my shaved in the early summer and that helps a lot. I think RD's are about the same in this area too.

Which breed is easier to find/less expensive to buy from a reputable cattery?
This may depend on your area. I would think that MC's would be a little higher in price as they are more in demand but again depends on your area. How far your willing to travel and the level of breeder. A breeder that shows and has show winning cats is obviously going to be higher than someone that's maybe just breeding thoroughbred pet quality cats. High level breeders have pet quality cats to though.

Which is healthier/is less prone to health issues down the line?
Your probably not looking at much difference there between MC and RD. Breeder do try and breed health issues out of their cats and more so high level breeders. A good breeder will provide a health guarantee. Usually 2 years for kittens. In the end it's basically a crap shoot.

Which eats less? Kind of a silly question, but both are very big and like with a large dog breed, they probably eat a lot and that can add up in price!
MC's are pigs! :lol: I have a Siberian at 20lbs and he eats like a 3rd of my past MC's. I really can't say about RD's

Which is typically better with dogs/other animals? I know that’s more-so dependent on the individual cat, but figured I’d ask
I think either would be fine. High level breeders do work hard to socialize their cats and in some cases that includes with dogs. Just depends on the breeder. I don't think it would be a problem with either breed. I don't think any cat will tolerate a dog that is spastic and up in their face for long. If you train dogs that shouldn't be an issue.

I will add...It may be hard to find a retired breeder or show cat. They don't come along that often but they are usually much less expensive and very well socialized. I'm researching breeders myself for a MC. The breeder I got my last one from either just stop breeding or passed away, not sure. I've been researching for almost a year. I would google search breeders from your immediate area and see what's available and move out from there. I've researched breeders within a 10 hour drive and may expand that to 15 if needed. I've found 3 I'm interested in so far. Call them and talk to them and question them. A good breeder shouldn't mind answering questions. Visit cattery's if possible. Most breeder will let you come and have a looksee. Above all research, research, research! I can't stress that enough. It's a long term commitment, make sure you get what you want.

I highly recommend a MC but..........I am a bit bias!

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a kitty that is at least part Maine Coon, and he seems to have a lot of the traits generally associated with the breed -- intelligent, inquisitive, playful, affectionate, mischievous. He loves attention and tends to need a lot of stimulation, but more in an intellectual and emotional way than just a running-and-jumping way, if that makes sense. He is very good at finding ways to get into trouble, but I love him for it. He is a big suck and loves to cuddle (on his terms) and doesn't like being left alone. He always greets me at the door when I get home, and seems to be giving me heck for having gone away haha. I haven't lived with a RD before, so I can't really comment on them. But if you end up with a MC that is anything like my guy, I'm sure they'll be the light of your life and always keep things interesting. Also, as far as I know, MCs aren't especially prone to health issues compared to other breeds.

I hope this doesn't come across as pushy or judgmental, but I also just wanted to kind of advocate for adoption. There are soooooooooooo many kitties already out there that are in need of a home. Adopting can not only give a home to the kitty you take, but open up a space in a shelter/rescue/foster home/etc. for another kitty who is in need and may not otherwise survive. I frequently see MC-looking cats and kittens at the shelters I visit, so I don't think it would be difficult to find one at whatever age you were hoping to get. Another bonus is that the fee you pay to adopt is helping support an organization that rescues and rehomes cats. If you go through a breeder, not all are as responsible as others, but it sounds like you have experience in that realm and might know what to look for better than I would. I would recommend maybe checking out some local shelters just as an experiment - even if you still decide that a breeder is the option for you, you will still get a nice visit with the shelter kitties at worst :). Again, I hope this doesn't come across as judgmental, and I have no doubt you will give a loving home to a kitty no matter where they come from. I just feel passionately about this issue and so I couldn't help giving my perspective - hopefully it just comes across as another perspective to consider and not someone trying to force their views on you :).

Best of luck with your new cat!

Pixxelated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone here seems pretty universally for a Maine Coone... So let me just pitch for the Ragdoll here.

I’ve got a Ragdoll girl (and a Moggy boy) , our girl is... interesting. She’s a typical Ragdoll. Likes to follow me around, is practically always near me somewhere, likes to flop when she’s on my lap or the floor. I would say she is quite dependable and definitely likes to be involved, she’s pretty laidback now she’s growing up. Was a bit of a terror as a kitten, but then again all kittens are cute and naughty little furballs.

If you do end up getting a people orientated cat, I would advise getting two kittens or two already bonded cats. It makes everything just so much smoother, and you’ll get twice the cuddles!

Maintenance wise our girl is pretty easy. She doesn’t shed that much because Ragdolls don’t have an undercoat, and grooming is a pretty simple and straightforward process. Keeping her (and the other one) out of the shower, when you’re in it is a different affair.

Intelligence wise it kind of depends on the cat. Our Clawdia is pretty clever, in that she quickly figured out how things like doors and such worked.

But yeah, while Ragdolls and Maine Coones make for pretty cats and usually sweet cats, like I said it depends on the cat. Our ragdoll for example, is bonded more to me than my partner and I fet lavished with attention everytime she sees me. My partner does not. And while Clawdia likes to cuddle, she mostly prefers sitting next to me. Whereas my moggy boy (Jamie) loves warm laps and being carried around.

Every time you sit down he comes over and plops down on you. After which you can manoeuvre him any way you want. He’s inquisitive and kind, and he loves being with us just as much as she does. And he’s nowhere near being a pedigree. I understand you said you feel more comfortable going the breeder way. But like someone else said, at least give it some thought. I don’t regret getting either of mine, but I’m glad we went both ways.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would second sabian sabian and ask if you've thought about looking at a shelter. If you're getting a young adult anyway, you will be able to get a very clear reading on size, looks, and especially personality. At least where I live, the shelter staff seem to know all the cats as individuals and can make great recommendations. The nicest, most dog-like cat I know is my neighbor's tabby girl...a shelter cat.

That being said, have you looked into Siberians? I'm going that route because of allergies in my family, otherwise I would go to the shelter too. Siberians are big, lovely cats that seem easy to source because of increasing popularity. From the limited experience I've had with them, they seem really quiet and sweet.

Lastly, if there is a cattery in your area that your interested in, you could definitely contact them to ask about retiring queens. Most catteries do retire them and "pet them out" around age 4 or so, but they probably won't advertise them with the kittens. Our first cat is a retired breeding queen and, while she does have a breed-specific health problem, she is super nice.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I don't know about different breeds ... but the best cats are the ones you save from a lonely life . My crazy cats are strays or abandoned. They come into your life and soon realize they have it made . Then ... they will adopt you ! `:catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! OP here. First of all, thank you so much for your replies! I really appreciate it. I'd like to answer to a few comments and questions! To address the comments about me adopting, I'm all for adopting and will look into it when the time comes for me to actually get the cat. But for now, I'm still researching breeds. I know breeds do not fully matter as each individual cat is different- but as with dogs.. I've only owned purebreds from breeders and again, it's just what I'm interested in more. I like knowing lineage/bloodlines, where the animal came from, etc. If I did adopt, I would try at the least to find a purebred. As for my location, I live in MA. I do see a lot of MC mixes in shelters here, maybe because I'm in New England where they're from, or maybe just because they're so popular. To the lovely person that asked if I'd consider a Siberian, I did! Beautiful cats! But, I liked the Norwegian Forest Cat more than them after researching, and then I liked the Maine Coon more-so than the N.F.C.. Plus, they seem rare and hard to find; AKA, expensive as hell probably haha. Also to explain more, I'm really only wanting an older kitten/adult is because kittens can be little hellions LOL and I really don't want a cat that's jumping, darting, running around all over the place like a rocket. I like that both the RG and MC are known to be more ground level cats. And kittens have a reputation for changing personalities once they mature, and with an older feline you know the personality you're buying. Oh, someone mentioned to get a bonded pair or a second cat to keep the other company! I'm sorry, but no thank you. I already have two dogs (plus a tarantula), and I'm surrounded by animals all day. I don't want my home turning into a zoo. My two pups can keep a single cat plenty company.. I'm also home quite a bit anyway. All in all, it seems like I would be very happy with either.. but maybe a MC would be better for me, based off the fact that they're not so dependent on human interaction as much as a Ragdoll seems to be. While I would prefer the less shedding feature of a RG, as my Spitz dogs shed enough for 20 animals LOL. I do really love both, especially the looks of a RG. Maybe I'll just have to talk to breeders of both and choose from what they have available that fits what I'm looking for.

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OP again! So, I put up this exact post on one other forum and the one reply I got told me not to get ANY long hair cat because they need daily grooming, no matter what. She said every-other-day brushing would not be good enough, even for a medium coated cat. The only breed I looked into that's said to need daily brushing was the Persian/Himalayan. Also, none of you guys said this either! Thoughts?

Last edited:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously, in my experience, Oliver only needs grooming every couple of weeks but he is ten yrs old so not as active as a younger cat. I've never had a young MC so can't comment on their propensity for matting. I have been surprised how little he needs grooming and I do it more often sometimes only because we both enjoy it and not because it's absolutely needed.
My Siberian, who is under one yrs old, does mat if he isn't groomed regularly.
Personally, I don't believe that grooming would be much of a factor when choosing a breed.

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seriously, in my experience, Oliver only needs grooming every couple of weeks but he is ten yrs old so not as active as a younger cat. I've never had a young MC so can't comment on their propensity for matting. I have been surprised how little he needs grooming and I do it more often sometimes only because we both enjoy it and not because it's absolutely needed.
My Siberian, who is under one yrs old, does mat if he isn't groomed regularly.
Personally, I don't believe that grooming would be much of a factor when choosing a breed.
When you say "groomed regularly" how regularly do you mean? brushing requirements aren't the biggest concern to me, personality matters the most to me. I would just like to know.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chubchub the Siberian needs to be groomed every couple of days due to the difference in the respective coats. Like I said, Oliver every couple of weeks.
The Maine Coon temperament is just brilliant. Gentle, loving, intelligent and somewhat dog like. Let me quote this:

Jacky Edwards, chairman of the Maine Coon Cat Club, says: "They are very friendly cats and very into people. They're loving and attentive, but also very easy going and laid-back so they won't give you any hassle. They are like big gentle giants."

One of the most common compliments owners and breeders will say of the Maine Coon is their ability to get on with everyone - either two-legged or four-legged - and how adaptable they are:
"They can live in any home and get on well with other cats and dogs, so it doesn't have to be another Maine Coon - I have a kitten at the moment who thinks that my miniature Schnauzer is her mum!" laughs Jacky

laurensabino182

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After I expressed surprise in this woman saying I would need to brush my cat every day, she responded with saying twice a day would be best to avoid matting. Everything I've read says to brush most longhair breeds a handful of times a week. I think maybe she's just trying to scare me away from buying a longhair. I don't know why she would, but I can't take her responses too seriously.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Maine Coons will be more energetic than the Ragdoll, but still certainly not hyper, so that could be what you’re looking for in that category. Some Maine Coons even learn to fetch!

I think they will be similar in grooming requirements; they both have thick, long hair. They’ll both eat a lot, they are the giant breeds after all! :)

Both breeds are prone to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, but fortunately there’s a screening test available for that. Maine Coons are also predisposed to spinal muscular atrophy, but that’s less common so not everyone tests for it.

To find a good breeder, it’s best to go to a cat show. You can be sure that the breeders there are the reputable ones because they’re the ones who put the money and time into going to the shows. At a cat show, you’ll be able to get to know each breed better, and ask the breeders some of your questions. I’ll attach a link to the CFA and TICA show calendars.

Show Calendar

TICA Show Calendar

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OP again! So, I put up this exact post on one other forum and the one reply I got told me not to get ANY long hair cat because they need daily grooming, no matter what. She said every-other-day brushing would not be good enough, even for a medium coated cat. The only breed I looked into that's said to need daily brushing was the Persian/Himalayan. Also, none of you guys said this either! Thoughts?
Neither the Maine Coon or the Ragdoll need daily grooming. As said the ragdolls don't shed much do to lack of undercoat, which limits matting, and Maine Coon's are naturally oily which helps prevent matting. 6 of my cats are long hairs, a Maine Coon , 4 Maine Coon mixes (the Maine Coon's daughters), and what I believe is a Ragamuffin or a Ragdoll mix. The only time I need to really brush them more then a couple times a month is in the spring when they are shedding out their winter coats, it gets very cold here and most are indoor/outdoor cats so they get thick winter coats. Even then a few times a week is enough to keep them mat free. They do get the occasional small mat here or there, normally around their head from scratching or rubbing on something.

I do agree that Persians and Himalayans need daily grooming, both have very fine fur that is prone to matting. I've never had a Persian, but my next door neighbors growing up had a Himalayan, beautiful cat but he would get so matted since they let him outside and didn't brush him often (he had a temper) so they would shave him regularly.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with abyeb abyeb amethyst amethyst and mightyboosh mightyboosh on all counts. Except that mightyboosh isn't biased! :lol: You don't have to brush them everyday. I hardly ever brushed my Maine Coon and I've had 2 I raised from kittens and itchin for another one. I do get my cats shaved in the summer months though. Usually around the end of June. They aren't bad as kittens either. Mined trained easily and didn't tear things up and bonded almost instantly but I am biased. Just sayin! :lol:

To auntie auntie statement about Siberian's. I have a rescue now that I think to be mostly if not all Siberian. I'll let you know when I get the DNA test back but, He's awesome! He has some trust issue only because he was abused as a kitten but he's making progress in leaps and bounds. He reminds me a lot of a MC in temperament and behavior. He was a yr and half when I got him and I have no issues at all. I would recommend a Siberian as well. He's a furry rascal too. I only brush him once or twice a week. He eats like a 3rd of what my MC's did. To be honest. I think you would be happy with any of the four big cats from what I know and have read. I'm getting a MC though! :lol: Pic of Manny my Siberian lookalike below. His mane is about twice as long now.

IMG_4785.JPG

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Have you considered a pure black cat ? I have some ( far too many ) real beauties !
:purr:

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow.........alot of great info here.

Perhaps I can add some useful thoughts.

-regarding whether to adopt of get from a breeder........obviously the cat from a breeder will be going to a good home anyway..the cat from a rescue or shelter may live a miserable existence without your help. Adopted cats can also look like purebreds (and expensive). Greg and arnold who we adopted from Kijiji, (pictured in my avatar to the left) are usually mistaken for purebreds by neighbours and passerbys who see them outside. Im often asked what breed they are. As far as I know they are a mix....but others dont seem to think that.

-As for which breed, ragdoll, MC, siberian/norwegian forest cat..........I suspect much of the personality depends on the particuliar cat. If you buy a certain breed expecting a specific personality, you might be dissapointed. I would try to find a the personality first....then if the breed is what you want, then move ahead.

For instance Arnold and Greg (who ive been told are predominatly a norwegian forest cats), are fraternal brothers, yet have quite different personalites.

-regarding brushing............together greg and arnold weigh 40 lbs and they are medium to long hair, with fluffy britches and manes.....after more than 2 years of looking after them, I think I can safely say.....brushing a cat is no big sufferance. I take them outside almost daily and they are always brushed for about 1 or 2 minutes each when I bring them back in. The cats actually enjoy it, for the most part, and its part of our bonding time. Poeple often say "they must require alot of brushing".....but that is not the case. I would say several minutes at a time and 3 times a week would be enough. But it must be done, or at least my guys, will develop knots and matts which will be uncomfortable and eventually require to be shaven.

Longer hair cats do shed, regardless of the breed. And there can be a problem of keeping the fur around their butts clean as sometimes kitty litter and poop can cling to the fur...but that can be an issue with any loner haired cat. A quick, careful clip with scissors and the problem is gone.

I do admit that I have become used to the bulk, heft, muscles, longer fur and cuddliness of my guys. But you can find that in any of the breeds you are considering.

And yes..........I do think there may be some truth in the opinion that an adopted cat "knows" how lucky it is. I have never in my 50 plus years had a cat so loving as my adopted Arnold. (greg has bonded with my wife)