Which bug spray is safe for cats?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I realize that this is a very old thread, but we have been using Ortho Home Max for years in our home and rescue with no bad effects on the cats. This is also the only insect spray I have found that I can safely use that won't trigger an asthma attakh. Raid's similar product, and also another one that looks very similar to the Ortho product, I think it was Andro, both caused me to have severe asthma attacks.

We don't remove the cats from the home or building, but we do remove them from the area temporarily, until the spray dries. Once a month usually works great, we even leave bedding behind, just take up food and water.

For ants though, there is a better way that my Mom used to use and I have used for the past 35 years - cucumber juice.

You can either slice a large cucumber in half and then rub the inside halves over the areas where you have seen ants, or you can juice cucumbers in your juicer, or pulverize a few cucumbers in your food processor then squeeze the puree through a cheesecloth to get the liquid, then put in a spray bottle and spray. Doesn't harm children or animals, but it works. If you have any juice left though, be sure and put it in the fridge, and after two weeks (or sooner if it discolors or molds) discard.
Welcome to TCS!  

This is VERY interesting to me!  I live on a very sandy piece of land and we have SO many ants in the yard outside.  We spray around the outside of the house once or twice a year and that has done enough to keep much from coming in.  At our old house it felt like we had a plague of ants in the spring and summer!  I wish I'd known this back then!  We used windex to kill the ones that were inside; but stopping them would have been preferable!  I always have cucumbers that get too big on the vine. Those would finally have a good use!! 

Last edited:

buddy keeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
May sound strange, but I used to lived in Florida.Famous for bugs of tremendous size. I used to use flea spray. The kind you use on cats. Safe. And bugs are bugs. A

buddy keeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As to ants. Follow the trail. Wipe it down with vinegar. This erases the scent trail that ants follow. If the entrance spot is out of cat area, put down a bit of sugar mixed with borax. Ants on food..set food bowl in shallow dish of water with a few drops of dish detergent. Detergent eliminates surface tension and ants cannot walk across. Good luck. Hope this helps.