Which bug spray is safe for cats?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all,

I am new to the forum. I am Draco, proud owner of a spoiled 2 year-old tuxedo kitty named Monet.

To stick to my question in topic, I am getting ants in my apartment. I live on second floor of a complex. Monet discovered them first in the bathroom, then I noticed they were traveling over his wet food dish. Monet stopped eating because of the ants.

So I moved the dish to the other end of the room so he could eat. The ants eventually found their way there.

Then I picked up a product called "Hot Shot Natural Home Insect Control" which contains lemongrass oil. It clearly says safe around pets and children. It killed the ants on contact. I sprayed it into every crack around the woodwork. I removed his dishes and place mat and sprayed around his eating area and let it dry before putting his dishes back down.
However, it gives off a strong bengay odor.

But alas, the odor prevented Monet from eating. It's been 3 days and he only ate his kibbles which is in my bedroom, ant free (for now.).

I've also been cleaning his wet food dish and his mat after he eats, and I no longer leave the food out for more than 30 minutes if he doesn't eat it all.

Can anyone suggest a safe way to get rid of these ants? please and thank you

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I spray orange oil on the baseboards and such to keep ants away. You need to find where they're coming from though to really eradicate the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea where they're coming from. its an old apartment, so there's a lot of cracks in the baseboard and flooring. I am finding them mostly around the bathroom area and close to his original food dish location, so I am assuming its in that area.

I'll look into Orange Oil, maybe it'll smell better? Where would I find it?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. Most garden centers will have it as well.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Complain to the landlord, it's their responsibility to take care of this. They can use a barrier spray outside and under the building

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Complain to the landlord, it's their responsibility to take care of this. They can use a barrier spray outside and under the building
I complained last year when I had the ants. A neighbor complained when she found a cockroach. They never did anything. They're currently in process of changing company management, so once that's finalized, I will try again.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck. If you're dealing with carpenter ants (which love getting into food, too) then it's really in their best interests to treat against them since they're as destructive as termites are.

One roach doesn't mean that much. Depending on the time of year they'll accidentally wander inside just like other insects do. Depending on the area right around the apartments, this can happen fairly often (heavily planted against the building, use of mulches). There's only a few species that actually want to be inside your home.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure what kind of ants they are. they're very tiny, almost un-noticable and black

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have used in past years when we had ants too and some spider probs downstairs (which sent Pipsqueak to the emergency hospital for two days when he was bite once) Home Defense (by ortho, I think) Got it at Home Depot. Once it is dry it is safe for pets, just read the label. Make certain that all pet bowls, mats and water bowls are safely put away. Take your cat out of the apartment first, in a carrier, then spray and go somewhere with your cat for at least two hours. After Pipsqueak's spider bite, we spray in the Fall when they come in and have never had any problems with the cats reacting after spraying and following the directions to a T. We live right near a heavily wooded area and seem to get this problem in the Fall. You can just read the labels as far as safety for the cats. The vet might have something for you to use as well, or suggestions.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For many years I've used the plastic ant baits. They take a couple of weeks to work, but they do work really well. If I remember to put them out early enough in the spring, then I don't see any ants at all. I've used various brands, and they all work. I put them under furniture and appliances, between storm/screen doors and main door, in lower kitchen cabinets, in the bathroom, etc. They make these baits for roaches, also, I see.

I've never had cats that chew or eat strange things, and no kittens for many years. So, if you have that problem, these baits won't be for you. Then again, I've used ant baits outside, both the ones made for outside, and the indoor ones. The raccoons sometimes move them, and try to break into them, but they haven't been able to yet.

But I wouldn't risk it if I had a cat that chewed up odd things.

Wet food should not be left out for more than 30-60 minutes, depending on the air temperature. Cats can learn to eat it up in that time. Three meals a day helps with a lot of eating issues.

Robin

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get yourself some Diatomaceous Earth (DE) FOOD GRADE only from a nursery or feed store. You can also get it online. DE is like a fine powder made up of ground diatoms which are a miniscule crustacean. DE (food grade) is completely safe for mammals including the kitties and if they did eat any it would only kill any parasites they have in their system.

But, DE is like sharp shards of glass to insects and will kill them.

I had ants coming into our house a few years ago, sprinkled DE around and within hours they were gone.

I love it because it is so safe. Some folks actually eat some of it themselves and others regularly give some to their animals for internal parasites.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Once it is dry it is safe for pets, just read the label.
FYI: Pets means dogs and almost never cats. Pyrethroids and natural pyrethrins are always toxic to cats no matter what a labels claims. This is the reason why some OTC flea topicals can be deadly to cats.
The "once dry" doesn't work for cats either. The residue remains to kill the insects and cats are always licking their paws.

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Get yourself some Diatomaceous Earth (DE) FOOD GRADE only from a nursery or feed store. You can also get it online. DE is like a fine powder made up of ground diatoms which are a miniscule crustacean. DE (food grade) is completely safe for mammals including the kitties and if they did eat any it would only kill any parasites they have in their system.

But, DE is like sharp shards of glass to insects and will kill them.

I had ants coming into our house a few years ago, sprinkled DE around and within hours they were gone.

I love it because it is so safe. Some folks actually eat some of it themselves and others regularly give some to their animals for internal parasites.
I've also had success with DE. We sprinkle it in the yard, and around the house. Works great against ants.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
While you're trying to get rid of the ants - the food issue is a big problem.

When I had the feral born cats and stray outside - I never used bug spray around the cats.

Instead, of spray, (I did use Windex to kill the ants, though.) I used a shallow dish as a mote. A flower pot saucer works nice. On the bottom and edges of the dish I put gobs of vaseline. I was careful not to get the vaseline where the cats would be touching as I didn't want the cats digesting the product or getting it on their fur and then digest it.

Then, inside the mote, I put a bowl with the food - this bowl also had some vaseline around the base, and depending on the bowl - on the sides of the bowl.

In the heat of the summer, I also found that ice not only helped keep the canned food cooler, but kept the ants out of the food.

Thankfully all our cats are completely inside now, and I have a pest service coming once a month - we no longer have the ants inside, for which I am so grateful.

I feel your "pain" - and I hope you get a resolution soon!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
wow, thanks for the advice, everyone! I didn't expect such a response!

Lots of good ideas and suggestions here. I will have to access and try them

babysit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
buy cinnamon sticks at the market. Put them around the area where you are sure the ants are coming in. they hate the smell of cinnamon and will go away.

lawoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
DE doesnt work. It's messy. You have to put lines of whit powder all over the place and all bugs just walk right through it, or find a way around it. Ant traps have been unsuccessful as well as the ants just walk around them. I have a huge ant problem in an old building. The landlord won't do anything about it at all, so that's a lost cause. She told me to get my own exterminator if I wanted to. I live in Los Angeles, and during the hot summer there are lots of bugs coming in from spiders, termites, ants, beetles, sometimes huge roaches, crickets. I'm very clean, so that's not the issue. This year I've got to do something about it, and am trying to find a solution for me and my 2 cats.

nutsforcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not sure about orange oil, but any oil with phenol in it has the potential to be toxic to cats. Even the ones that say they are animal friendly are not, and you have to read the instructions very very carefully, e.g., they warn about using too much. Whatever you buy, please check for phenols and nothing like peppermint or lemongrass.  http://cats.about.com/od/housekeeping/a/aromatherapy.htm

If someone else know of a product (with its brand) that really is safe, I would like to know about it, too.

carolinadancer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize that this is a very old thread, but we have been using Ortho Home Max for years in our home and rescue with no bad effects on the cats. This is also the only insect spray I have found that I can safely use that won't trigger an asthma attakh. Raid's similar product, and also another one that looks very similar to the Ortho product, I think it was Andro, both caused me to have severe asthma attacks.

We don't remove the cats from the home or building, but we do remove them from the area temporarily, until the spray dries. Once a month usually works great, we even leave bedding behind, just take up food and water.

For ants though, there is a better way that my Mom used to use and I have used for the past 35 years - cucumber juice.

You can either slice a large cucumber in half and then rub the inside halves over the areas where you have seen ants, or you can juice cucumbers in your juicer, or pulverize a few cucumbers in your food processor then squeeze the puree through a cheesecloth to get the liquid, then put in a spray bottle and spray. Doesn't harm children or animals, but it works. If you have any juice left though, be sure and put it in the fridge, and after two weeks (or sooner if it discolors or molds) discard.