Where To Get Fresh Meat

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I am trying to prepare raw food for my kitten, but I do not know where to get fresh meat. A lot of people say that we should avoid big chain store meat, but is the organic fresh chicken thighs from Jewel Osco Okay? It looks good to me. I am attaching some pictures I took from the store below.

The green one is in the special "fresh" section of Jewel Osco, and it is $2.99/pound.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I buy from the grocery store, my local specialty butcher shop, Trader Joe’s, and Costco. In addition to the expiration date, I also check sodium content which should be less than 100 mg. per serving. If the sodium content isn’t on it, I don’t buy it. And finally, I make sure it doesn’t have any added saline or other preservatives. That can be hard to spot sometimes, too.

When I get it home, if I’m not going to make food within a couple of days, I freeze it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And finally, I make sure it doesn’t have any added saline or other preservatives. That can be hard to spot sometimes, too.
Yes, and unfortunately, many grocery store employees don't know much about the meat, either! And then they think it's really weird that you want to buy meat for humans to feed your cat. Unless, that is, you're shopping at Whole Foods, in which case the meat counter employees know all about the meat and ask all about the cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, and unfortunately, many grocery store employees don't know much about the meat, either! And then they think it's really weird that you want to buy meat for humans to feed your cat. Unless, that is, you're shopping at Whole Foods, in which case the meat counter employees know all about the meat and ask all about the cats!
May I ask what is the difference between the meat sold at the counter and the meat packed in the freezer at Whole Foods? Do they have chicken liver and heart at Whole Foods?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm going to make a guess that there is a little less exposure to the machines/processing by buying from the counter employees, but hopefully one of these good folks comes back in...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm going to make a guess that there is a little less exposure to the machines/processing by buying from the counter employees, but hopefully one of these good folks comes back in...
haha, thank you very much and the websites you gave are very helpful!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
May I ask what is the difference between the meat sold at the counter and the meat packed in the freezer at Whole Foods? Do they have chicken liver and heart at Whole Foods?
I can’t speak to Whole Foods as there isn’t one where I live, but I avoid meat at the counter at the places where I shop because I don’t know the sodium content or if it’s had something added like a saline solution or other preservative. Generally, the folks behind the counter don’t know what I’m talking about when I ask. The only way I know for certain is to see the label. I also don’t know how long the meat has been in the case, and that worries me, too.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I am trying to prepare raw food for my kitten, but I do not know where to get fresh meat. A lot of people say that we should avoid big chain store meat, but is the organic fresh chicken thighs from Jewel Osco Okay? It looks good to me. I am attaching some pictures I took from the store below.

The green one is in the special "fresh" section of Jewel Osco, and it is $2.99/pound.
Truthfully, I would never feed my cats raw meat from a butchers section of a grocery store. You never know how long it has been thawed.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Truthfully, I would never feed my cats raw meat from a butchers section of a grocery store. You never know how long it has been thawed for. Yes, you can get organ meat from whole foods, and some other grocers. Just ask about it at the counter. If they don't have it at that time, they can tell you when they will, or, order it for you.
May I ask what is the difference between the meat sold at the counter and the meat packed in the freezer at Whole Foods? Do they have chicken liver and heart at Whole Foods

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The value packs of thighs in your second photo are a staple in my cats' diet. They sell for $1/lb year round here. I stock up breasts, pork butts and loins, and beef briskets and roasts when they run sale prices. Grocery store meat which is fresh enough for you to eat should be fine for your cats' diet. Do make sure the meat is not brined, injected, or enhanced.

The main thing I look for is the furthest expiration date, the coldest packages (sometimes the ones in the back still feel a little frosty), and "dry" meat. If the meat has sat in the case too long or perhaps gotten too warm, it will be sitting in a pool of water...and I'll take a pass.

If grass-fed and pasture-raised meats are in your budget, all the better. They're financially out of my reach (especially feeding 3 cats and a dog...and myself), but I believe a fresh raw diet even with factory-farmed meats is still superior to processed cat foods.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
When you say "per serving" are you referring to per serving of cat food?
Sorry for being unclear! No, a standard serving size for meat in the US is 4 ounces. I look for the nutrition panel on the packaging. Sometimes there isn’t one. I don’t know why but it may be because it’s in-store packaging.
A9C5D365-7339-48E8-A473-D6CE0A0E21AE.jpeg

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they are only required to put nutritional data on enhanced meats, and labelling natural/fresh meat with no additional ingredients is optional (unless that's changed recently).

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I think they are only required to put nutritional data on enhanced meats, and labelling natural/fresh meat with no additional ingredients is optional (unless that's changed recently).
It seems like I find it—or rather don’t find it—on the less expensive, larger packages of meat which causes me enough concern not to buy them. So unfortunately, I pay more. I think the least expensive chicken thighs I buy are $1.99/lb.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up current rules for nutrition labels on single-ingredient (just meat, no additives) USDA/FDA. The package does not need to be labelled, but the store must have nutrition data available. So...if there is no label, you can be assured that it is fresh meat.

I think when they add salt or any other "enhancement", then the meat moves from being a "single-ingredient" to a "food product" (more than one ingredient) which would require a label and disclosure listing of ingredients.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks, orange&white orange&white ! That’s helpful! It doesn’t address the question, though, of the naturally occurring sodium content in the meat. I don’t want to buy anything that has more than 100 mg./4 oz. serving.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fresh meats (beef, pork, lamb, poultry) will have 40-65mg of naturally occurring sodium per 3oz according to the American Heart Association.