Where DO we get those silly cat 'endearment' names from?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When Belle is being stubborn or acting up, she’s my Rotten Kitty.

When I come home I’ll say “Where’s my Belle Belle Pretty Pretty Belle Belle?” And she’ll come out to greet me.

Her super name is Blackfoot Thunderpaws. Not sure if that’s when she’s being a super hero or a super villain. But it’s usually when she has the rips and shakes the whole house as she tears from room to room.

Belle is my Purr Bucket, my Itty Bitty Pretty Kitty, our Fuzzy Faced Quadraped and a Pestilence of Carnivore.

Her full name and title is Lady Silver Belle The Destroyer, Warrior Princess Of Clan Grey Tiger.

However, no matter what I call her, she only answers to Belle.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once made a list of all the nicknames for one of our cats - I can't remember now if it was Abbey or Mamie - and she had fifty. Not just passing endearments, actual nicknames used regularly.

Currently Phoebe has Feebs, Fizzby, FizzBizz (I know where that came from, I pinched it from Fuzz Buzz, one of Norman Lindsay's cats), Fibbles, Fibdib, Little Feebs ... not very imaginative! Oh and Thievy McThieverson, because she is.

Daisy is Daisydins and Miss, and I call them both sweetie or sweetpea, which I picked up from my sister.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gabby
1: Monkey, or Monkey Butt ( her impeccable climbing abilities, like a little monkey..
This turned into the next one
2: Wormey Butt (She had gotten tapeworm three weeks after she was spayed so I'm guessing she got a flea on her while there and ate it (bleh) treated her for them and told her she wasn't Wormey Butt anymore she was Monkey Butt again hahaha
3: Butter Bean (I was talking about her "toe beans" and my husband was asking if I wanted butter on my bread.. ) lol it made sense in my mind haha
4: Momma
5: Baby
6: Little Nugget
7: Gabriella Nutella

Jeez she has so many lol

While I was writing this she was just staring at me lol like, helllloooo pay attention to meee!!! Lol my little lady I love her so much she is my world!

Attachments

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i haven't read this thread so not sure if someone else has said this already but one of the reasons cats are so successful with humans is because they hit that baby instinct with us. so our instinct is to react to them the way we'd react to a human infant. even their meows are simulating baby crying. so we give htem baby talk. lol. mostly nonsense because they don't (or most don't) seem to actually understand words. (I actually have a cat now who I think DOES understand what i'm saying though.. )for the most part they do get some silly nicknames but they tend to come from somewhere

tiberius is never called tiberius though. he's tibby mr tibbs tibbers bobo and lil bitch mostly. lol he answers to tibby and tibbers. he does come when called and reacts appropriately to things we're saying even in normal tones and out of context.

dante doesn't have as many nick names. he tends to be mr dee. and danters. or daunty. I think my husband has a few more names for him. dante is his special cat tibby is mine.

we have two new kittens and they are everybodies special cat. honestly they don't seem to be choosing a human.

drusilla is silly drucy and lil miss

clawed has back legs that are the boss of him. wayyyy to big for his body. so he's clawd t hopper. but we also call him clyde and bozos. clyde is kind of his natural name but i had a cat many years ago who died of a genetic heart issue at 2.. so i can't curse him with that name although he was the sweetest cat ever.

Last edited:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The funny thing with the baby instinct is that human babies don't trigger it at all in me! More like a flight response, lol. Mild polite interest is the most I've ever summoned for any human infant. My enthusiasm is all for cats (with a little left over for some dogs). But yes, neoteny (the retention of childlike features in adults) is an important factor in cats' appeal - the large eyes, small lower face, the playfulness and affection are all part of it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The funny thing with the baby instinct is that human babies don't trigger it at all in me! More like a flight response, lol. Mild polite interest is the most I've ever summoned for any human infant. My enthusiasm is all for cats (with a little left over for some dogs). But yes, neoteny (the retention of childlike features in adults) is an important factor in cats' appeal - the large eyes, small lower face, the playfulness and affection are all part of it.
Me too, catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback (except not for dogs at all). I've never had any maternal instincts, have never wanted kids, have always been painfully aware of adding to overpopulation, and don't think babies are cute at all.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too, catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback (except not for dogs at all). I've never had any maternal instincts, have never wanted kids, have always been painfully aware of adding to overpopulation, and don't think babies are cute at all.
Same here! I didn't like kids much when I was one, and absolutely knew I never wanted any.
Dogs I like on the occasional basis, ie meeting a friendly dog I know when it's out for a walk, but I wouldn't own one.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here! I didn't like kids much when I was one, and absolutely knew I never wanted any.
Dogs I like on the occasional basis, ie meeting a friendly dog I know when it's out for a walk, but I wouldn't own one.
Our beloved cat was 3 when I was born. He was my big brofur. He had quite a few nicknames, including his "real" name, which was babytalk a neighbor reportedly addressed him with when they first met. My dad called him "the little tyrant." Lovingly.
Yeah, I wanted to hang out with the adults and pick their brains and learn. My mom would throw me outside to play ball in the street with the other kids. I thought it was a waste of time, basically, and would rather have been back with the adults and a stack of books, and of course, my big brofur. :redheartpump: