Where DO we get those silly cat 'endearment' names from?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I was giving Sundar his medicine, and finished with a pat and a 'there you are buzzle-wuzzle'.
And then I thought 'buzzle-wuzzle'?? When did that become a name and where on earth did it come from?

Is it just me, or do others find themselves calling their furries some pretty obscure and silly names that seem to just pop up out of the ether?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 'Yammy' was named because he is the color of a Yam. He is spoiled rotten and is also named 'Chicken Monster' Because he insists on cut-up deli chicken every time we go into the kitchen.
I call my little girl, 'itchy-scratchy' because of her constant scratching which I could never find a reason for or a cure, so I guess any names or sayings I come up with are rooted in something they do, or look like!

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine tend to be variations of their names.
So Circe becomes Circe-Bear or Circenium (like some sort of element). Circe as a bear makes sense because she's cuddly like a teddy bear.
Autumn somehow also became a bear (Autumn Bear), even though she's not cuddly.
Domino -- Domimomo
TV - Teeny Tiny Little Miss TV (she is smaller than everyone else .. she was barely bigger than Leo and Jemmy when I first brought them indoors and they were 6 months old)
Cosette - Cosy Cat (obviously), also Cosy-Wozy (no clue, it just happened)
Leo .. for some reason, he is "Leo Baby" even though he's now approaching his 2nd birthday sometime this spring and is much heavier than Jemmy. He also sometimes is known as my "Leo Bubby" or just "Bubby-Boy"
Jemmy is Jem-Jem or Jem-Boy (I don't know why he is "boy" when Leo is "baby" .. probably because Jemmy is a sleek and slender fellow).

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my names are just variations on their names, like Austin is Aust, Austinator, but I've been known to call him fudge nose for no apparent reason. And also PITA for the reason that he can be one at times.
Cricket is just Crick or Sweetie or Sweetheart. Or occasionally Miss Diva (because she is).

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another with variations on the original name of Luna Moonshadow but some have no similarity to her real name. She's morphed into Googie and that, is what we nearly always call her now and the one she answers to most. It fits her. Others are Lunabee (like a busy bee), Boopboop (because she liked having her nose touched), Boo, Babycat, Batgirl, Bebe, I know there's more but that's enough.

Cocoabean is Bean, Coco, Beanie, Old Lady, Queen (and our vet calls Luna The Princess lol), Good Girl and Smush (because, she is).

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard Sparkle got the nickname Farfle because my husband's niece couldn't pronounce the name properly at the time. That's what we call her 95% of the time and that gets changed to like Farfully, or Farfleton.

Lelia gets variations on her ne like Leelees mostly.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish is already an endearment name, means cute little - baby, child.. . Her nicknames, I make up as children's rhymes. she often appears in them as varieties of burritos. I just wish to wrap her up, squeeze and bite, that's like, sort of, a human's redirected play aggression. :happycat:

I never squeeze her or kiss her. She hates being physically overwhelmed. She's almost 7 and only this year she stays on my lap for a short while. (I put her, she never comes by herself. very specific conditions of temperature, her level of tiredness, my level of inactivity, time of day..)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think, in my case, it's not so much what I do with their actual names.. I do do that too: Sundar-bundar, Nilywilly etc, but names that just come up that don't have anything to do with them. Like 'What do you think you're doing, you little Runchetbum', that I heard myself saying the other day. They don't necessarily become names. They're just nonsense.
But I never do it for humans. :lol:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I think, in my case, it's not so much what I do with their actual names.. I do do that too: Sundar-bundar, Nilywilly etc, but names that just come up that don't have anything to do with them. Like 'What do you think you're doing, you little Runchetbum', that I heard myself saying the other day. They don't necessarily become names. They're just nonsense.
But I never do it for humans. :lol:
I don't usually do that I just have the play on names or things related to their personality ...

Amber is Amber NO :flail: Amberitious, Giggle Girl (one of her voices) Jingle Cat - because the bell on her collar, Ambertini
Snowball - is Snowy, Snowman, The Man...
Cygnus is Cyggy, Trouble cat
Kiki - Pretty, Keeks, Kinky
Ash and Dash are The Twins, Ashy and Dashy

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of the names that I call my boys. Mr. Cat

Bunny Cat, because both cats fur feels like a soft bunny Or a Cashmere Sweater.
Sophie's most common nickname is Bunny. She got all riled up with a catnip toy once and she grabbed it with her front paws and bunny hopped across the living room with it.

Lilith's most common nickname is Little Queen. She's a real diva.