Where Can I Buy Supplies To Microchip My Cats At Home?

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by Blakeney Green, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:30 PM.

1. Blakeney Green

Blakeney Green Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Sep 3, 2017
    Upstate NY
    This seems like a stupid question, but where can you buy supplies to microchip your pets at home? I found microchips on Amazon, but I need to be able to actually implant them and that's the piece I'm missing. Thanks!

2. Shane Kent

Shane Kent Crazy Cat Gentleman Alpha Cat

May 9, 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I have seen you on here and like you but I don't like the way this reads. If you told me you would microchip my cat I would say no ______ way. They already are but even if not I would want a vet to do it. Supposed to go in a specific spot. I can fix electronics and do all sorts of wiring from network to electrical but no way I touch my kitties.

Antonio65 purraised this.
  3. Blakeney Green

Sep 3, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Oh, I know how to microchip cats - it's not complicated. It seems a little silly for me to get paid to microchip shelter cats and then turn around and pay my vet with that money to microchip mine. ;) I just don't know where you can purchase supplies if you're purchasing as an individual rather than as a nonprofit organization.

4. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Blakeney Green purraised this.
  5. Blakeney Green

Sep 3, 2017
    Upstate NY
    That is a great suggestion I never thought of - thanks! :)

6. voyager

voyager TCS Member Young Cat

Nov 12, 2017
    Pahoa, HI
    This brings up a question for me.
    If you microchip your pet, and it is not done by a shelter or a vet, how will your pet be identifiable if lost and by whom?
    How will you get its ID into the system?

7. Columbine

Columbine Slave to the Asha-Cat❤️ & the Trouble Twins❤️ Staff Member Advisor

Feb 27, 2015
    The kitty playground
    All microchips (no matter who does the chipping) need to then be registered on the database (usually by means of a form or telephone call). That is the responsibility of the owner, though some vets will do it for you. Way too many people forget this, sadly, meaning that lost pets can't be reunited with their owners as the necessary contact information doesn't show up when the database is checked :(

LTS3 and jcat purraised this.
  8. jcat

jcat Mo(w)gli's can opener Staff Member Moderator

Feb 13, 2003
    Mo(w)gli Monster's Lair
    You would have to register your pet's microchip with a national pet recovery database like HomeAgain.

Even if the shelter, breeder or your vet did the actual registering, you'd have to update the info if you moved or changed your phone number or email address.

Columbine purraised this.