When Should I Stop Looking For My Cat?

krc90x6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat for a little over a year ago. I adopted her from a cat foster organization and she is missing. She loves being outside and only spends a day at most being outside before coming home. She has been missing for over two weeks. I am so worried as this is out of character for her. I have called every organization, ASPCA, shelter and knocked on ever door in my area. She is nowhere to be seen. I have searched my area thoroughly. No luck. I made flyers, posted online about her and nothing. At this point I think someone took her in. She is not chipped since the previous owner thought it to be expensive and I was unaware of this when I adopted her.

I have put litter and food out all around the neighborhood and in front of my home. I am only attracting other cats at this point. I have done everything I can think of and I am not sure if I should continue looking or moving on. I know two weeks is not much but to me it is because she always comes home when it gets dark and only stays in the neighborhood. My neighborhood is not huge either. On another note, my neighbors cat is missing too! No one has seen him either. We live near a wooded area and I have looked back their too. I did find a kitten but when I tried to come near him, he ran away. I'm finding all these cats but mine. I am so worried for her!

UsagiToast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:heartshape:I lost a dog once and gave up looking for him after a year. In all honestly if you tried every possible way to look for her then you just have to wait. Cats can leave for many reasons as well. But hopefully you find her!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have proof that is has died then you can give up hoping that it will be back. Otherwise there is no sure way to know. Anything could have happened and with cats anything is a big list. Only a few of the things on that list involve not ever being able to return. Cats have a very good navigation ability. They don't really get lost as much as just really distracted, sometimes for a long time.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
TCS is full of stories of cats that returned after a very long time, so don't give up hope.

You sound as though you have done a lot already, but there might be something in this article to help:
Help! My Cat Is Lost!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Some of my cats were missing for over six weeks. One of them was found by someone who saw one of my lost cat posters. The other managed to find her way back home again.

If you still have flyers write Still Missing on them and send them out again. Someone may have spotted her in the meantime.

Good luck, I hope you find her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get on one of those free radio shows that buy and sell. It covers a large area and is listened to by many. I have had good luck with them. I take it she is spayed, cats often leave home for weeks if they are not. I have had cats disappear for a month and show back up, they were usually injured and wanted the alone time to heal. Don't give up, walk those woods and look in neighboring sheds, etc. after asking the owners.Please keep us posted, I know how horrible this 'not knowing' is. I'll definitely keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.