When Is The Right Time To Let My Lovely Norm Outside?

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think everyone needs to remember that there are cultural differences involved here and that some shelters in the UK will not even adopt to people that will not let their cat outside. We have quite a few members from these other countries and everyone needs to keep this in mind. Just as having a spay and a declaw together is still very common in the US, so is letting your cat outside in other countries. All cultures have things that others do not quite understand, but change takes a long time and we need to be tolerant of cultural differences.
If you look at it historically being able to keep a cat "inside" is a pretty recent thing. So is central heating and plumbing. Of course cars and transportation are recent threats also. Medications and testing and x rays are also all new. When you consider how long cats and people have been associated the vast majority of the time the cats came and went as they wanted. In the end, the result has always been the same. Being a live cat is 100% fatal, as there are none of those cats that have survived. In spite of everything we have done and do, that has still not changed. Being alive produces a 100% chance of dying. However as a species they have done quite well considering the vast majority of their history has been that of living outside. Does being outside increase the probability of their dying? No, inside or outside it's still 100%. All we really do is extend the time that they get to be alive. The point of that should be giving them as much joy as they can have for the time that they have. For some, being able to be outside, like all of their ancestors, is what makes them the happiest. If the point of keeping them alive longer is to make them happy then the question answers itself. Do what brings the most joy to the animal.

mystymaine12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Norm has been in my life for about 6 weeks now and I've kept him in so he can adjust to his new surroundings,owner and environment.As some of you may already know Norm is about 5 years old and was a Feral rescued cat from Washington DC,USA for the first four years of his life.He has been an indoor/outdoor cat for just under the year he has been in the U.K. But obviously both I and his new location are totally new to him.Ive just bought a good quality dogflap (he couldn't fit through a cat flap- bless him!) and I would like some advice from those in the know when is a good time to let him outside into the big scary outdoors?
Never!!!!!!! I may sound like a broken record, but I have 2 Maine Coons and they have never ever been outside, besides going to a cat show, but they have NO desire to go out I gave cat trees all over the house and scratching posts as well as many toys. So bottom line is "NO" you don't want another broken Heart.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Never!!!!!!! I may sound like a broken record, but I have 2 Maine Coons and they have never ever been outside, besides going to a cat show, but they have NO desire to go out I gave cat trees all over the house and scratching posts as well as many toys. So bottom line is "NO" you don't want another broken Heart.......
I'm afraid you have joined the "keep them in at all costs" corner a bit too late! Norm has been out and about patrolling the area for a few weeks now.He has chased off and fought any other feline opposition and found himself an elevated position where he can oversee his new territory but at the same time making himself available to old ladies and nice kids to fuss over him

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Norm sounds very happy and in the end you made the decision that is best for your family, Norm included :) If the benefits outweigh the risks it was a good choice.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid you have joined the "keep them in at all costs" corner a bit too late! Norm has been out and about patrolling the area for a few weeks now.He has chased off and fought any other feline opposition and found himself an elevated position where he can oversee his new territory but at the same time making himself available to old ladies and nice kids to fuss over him
Bet not just the old ladies !! There Is a ginger cat who sits on his wall every day and every one pets him when they walk past !! Does he stay close though ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bet not just the old ladies !! There Is a ginger cat who sits on his wall every day and every one pets him when they walk past !! Does he stay close though ?
Yeah - he is always usable and stays clear of car park area - thank god.He seems to like spreading out on front garden lawns mainly?Felt sorry for him today cos temp hit 27' so I soaked an old towel and stuck it in freezer for an hour then put it stone shower cabinet trough - he's still in there 5 hours later!