When Is The Right Time To Let My Lovely Norm Outside?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
A tired cat is a happy cat. When he's begging please try a good feather wanding or exciting new box or other mental stimulation before letting him out. I think everyone who says never would love to but the consequences for the cat outweigh that desire to let them have fun.
You might take a look around to see what is catching his interest outside.
There are reasonable alternatives to keeping him in and letting him roam free.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Norm an only cat, or do you have others? Getting him a friend might work. My Demi loves having a sister cat even though she punches him in the face.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As my doctor told me years ago - he said " you can have 80/90 years in the slow lane and in a rocking chair?" - "or you can have 50/60 years foot hard down in the fast lane?".Then he said you have made your choice years ago so don't come in here moaning it's not fair when it's start wearing out or falling off!

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Norm an only cat, or do you have others? Getting him a friend might work. My Demi loves having a sister cat even though she punches him in the face.
Yes - Norm is my only pet and cat.He is a one person one cat sort of chap.He has plenty of previous for attacking any cat or dog he encounters

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was a silly and stupid 17 year old kid I did all if not more stupid acts than most!By far the most insane was to be gullible enough to be talked into smuggling some pills into Jersey on a bank holiday weekend by a pretty girls older brother.Of course we all got caught bang to rights and I put my hands up to the whole thing - even what the Two girls were carrying! The penal system in Jersey is very tough and almost medieval (especially in their outlook towards any drugs).The judge said he was sending a message to other cocky young Londoners who think they can bring dangerous drugs to their beautiful island! He gave me 4 years and Jersey prison isn't colour TV and a holiday camp.I was miserable as hell - especially in the hot summer as you could see everyone enjoying themselves.I swore I would never do anything to end up locked inside and I never have in the 40 years since.I can't lock my Norm up to do a life sentence
You're comparing your home to a prison? Does Norm have a cell? Is there a guard with a shotgun posted at each door?

My cats will NEVER be allowed outside unsupervised. EVER. It is too dangerous out there and they are my responsibility. IMO letting a cat outside unsupervised makes about as much sense as allowing a toddler outside unsupervised. There are too many things out there from predators to cars to cruel people who can cause them harm. Feral cats can become indoor only cats very successfully. What are they really missing? Dodging cars? Getting chased or attacked by dogs/coyotes/wolves/mountain lions, etc depending on where you live? Cruel people putting out dishes of antifreeze because they don't want someone else's cat using their yard as a litter box? Cats have been domesticated for a long time. They are household pets, companions and family members.Most probably do come home every day after their excursions outside- until they don't. It's not worth it. If you really have to let him out, train him to wear a harness and leash and take him for walks. It will also help the two of you to bond even more.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Jimmyjimmy, I understand that you want what is best for Norm and that's awesome! I think that building a catio for Norm or leash training him would give him those opportunities to explore that you want for him, while at the same time keeping him safe. Leash training can be a lot of fun for cats, and it can be great for you and Norm's relationship because you can share adventures together! I'll attach a link to the Facebook page of a leash-trained Abyssinian cat named Racy Mooner: Racy Mooner , there are a bunch of posts about all the adventures Racy and her human go on together thanks to leash training. I know leash training a cat can sound like a daunting task at first, but cats are actually quite trainable. Here's an article to walk you through the basics of leash training: Train your cat to walk on a leash – Adventure Cats

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I understand where JimmyJimmy
You're comparing your home to a prison? Does Norm have a cell? Is there a guard with a shotgun posted at each door?

My cats will NEVER be allowed outside unsupervised. EVER. It is too dangerous out there and they are my responsibility. IMO letting a cat outside unsupervised makes about as much sense as allowing a toddler outside unsupervised. There are too many things out there from predators to cars to cruel people who can cause them harm. Feral cats can become indoor only cats very successfully. What are they really missing? Dodging cars? Getting chased or attacked by dogs/coyotes/wolves/mountain lions, etc depending on where you live? Cruel people putting out dishes of antifreeze because they don't want someone else's cat using their yard as a litter box? Cats have been domesticated for a long time. They are household pets, companions and family members.Most probably do come home every day after their excursions outside- until they don't. It's not worth it. If you really have to let him out, train him to wear a harness and leash and take him for walks. It will also help the two of you to bond even more.

I understand where JimmyJimmy is coming from . We offer them a gilded cage. Cats do adapt very well to not only being indoors but some live in very small spaces. Adding more vertical spaces and walkways might make his life better as well as things like birdfeeders at secure windows. I have smaller cat trees that I can move easily to new locations so I can refresh their screens so to speak.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Whether a cat is allowed unsupervised, supervised/secured or no outdoor access depends very much on where your home is located. Predators aren't such a problem in the UK as they are in North America. Do you live on or near a fairly busy street with through traffic? Is there a rail or bus line close by? Supermarkets or shopping centers? What about new drivers? What's the size of the neighborhood cat (and dog) population, since high cat population density will probably mean cat fights?

The shelter I work at (in Germany) has some general requirements, the main one being that cats are not adopted out as wholly indoor/outdoor cats unless the home is situated at least 150 meters from a busy street or store. Cats to be kept indoors only must have a feline companion (provided they're not extremely aggressive with other felines), with a secured balcony and/or leash training being highly recommended. The ideal compromise is an outdoor enclosure. Cats are to be kept inside for an absolute minimum of 6 - 8 weeks before being allowed outside (10 -12 for semi-ferals).

We live about 65 meters from a main street, and zoning doesn't allow a cat-proof fence. Our last cat had constant access to a balcony secured with cat net and was taken out on a leash (and harness, if course) for approximately 60 minutes a day. Our current cat has the balcony, but isn't walked because some chronic health problems preclude the vaccinations indoor/outdoor cats need. Both cats were/are "singletons" that attack(ed) other cats.

It doesn't have to be "all or nothing at all", and it's not helpful to make hard and fast rules without being familiar with the individual circumstances.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that with such of a nevernever consensus of opinion maybe another cat was an error of judgement on my behalf? Perhaps I should have considered another type of pet that would never need or want to leave the safety of its house? Goldfish?Gerbill,Spider? Anyone out there got a Mexican Red Knee they want to swap for a lovely cat and imprison him?
Maybe some tripical fish ?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you are going let him out it seems . If you live on a quiet street others I know simply open the door and let the cat out others put a track of snacks out or make a track so the cat can sense it's way back ! one of our neighbour's cat is like a celebrity and just sits on their wall all day and let passers by smooth and chat to it. Although when my hubby tried the cat swat him !

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
JimmyJimmy JimmyJimmy I can understand why you are so adverse to the idea of keeping Norm indoors after hearing that you spent some time in prison yourself. However, cats and teenage boys have a very different way of looking at the world. Cats like to have their territory and, if they are neutered, they have no wish to travel outside of their own safety zone. Once Norm has got used to the idea that your home or your home and a catio are his territory he'll be quite content.

My cats have a big enclosure. I have one huge feral born cat who was neutered a bit late and he climbs out of it almost every day. He never goes very far though. I live in the middle of a forest, but all he does is climb over the fence, go to his favourite look-out spot and stare at the rest of the cats from there.

Cats are very much creatures of habit. They don't really want to roam around unless they are hungry or looking for a mate. Even the feral cats I feed stick to their territory of two back yards, a shed and a field.

Also, please don't think of a catio as a prison. With a bit of imagination it can become a lovely tranquil spot for you both to enjoy. Has anyone posted this yet?

Cat Enclosures - Outdoor Cat Runs - Many Cat Enclosure Pictures

Some awesome catios here. The one on page three is like a luxury resort for cats, it's so beautiful.

Get creative, think about what you could do in your own back garden, start making some outdoor shelving and cat trees that match your taste and surroundings, plant loads of cat nip and mint! Making a catio is such a fun project.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just received a letter containing vouchers from a well know pets store chain in the UK. As well as vouchers it contains a whole article on letting your cat outside ! Including hints and tips in how to do this stating : 'lets make it great outdoors for your VIP' (ie cat). Also saying 'there is nothing quite like the great outdoors is there ? The feel of the sun on the back of your fur' . So This is to understand JimmyJimmy JimmyJimmy reasoning as that is still the thought in the UK ! Strangely it's followed by an article on a pet finding service as 1 in 3 go missing !!

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou - that sounds very interesting? It's a very sad fact that so many cats do go missing - but apart from the ones that are tragically found run over I think a great deal just wander off,get lost etc or tempted by a tin of sardines and fresh double cream from a kindly old lady!

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
JimmyJimmy JimmyJimmy I can understand why you are so adverse to the idea of keeping Norm indoors after hearing that you spent some time in prison yourself. However, cats and teenage boys have a very different way of looking at the world. Cats like to have their territory and, if they are neutered, they have no wish to travel outside of their own safety zone. Once Norm has got used to the idea that your home or your home and a catio are his territory he'll be quite content.

My cats have a big enclosure. I have one huge feral born cat who was neutered a bit late and he climbs out of it almost every day. He never goes very far though. I live in the middle of a forest, but all he does is climb over the fence, go to his favourite look-out spot and stare at the rest of the cats from there.

Cats are very much creatures of habit. They don't really want to roam around unless they are hungry or looking for a mate. Even the feral cats I feed stick to their territory of two back yards, a shed and a field.

Also, please don't think of a catio as a prison. With a bit of imagination it can become a lovely tranquil spot for you both to enjoy. Has anyone posted this yet?

Cat Enclosures - Outdoor Cat Runs - Many Cat Enclosure Pictures

Some awesome catios here. The one on page three is like a luxury resort for cats, it's so beautiful.

Get creative, think about what you could do in your own back garden, start making some outdoor shelving and cat trees that match your taste and surroundings, plant loads of cat nip and mint! Making a catio is such a fun project.
Although I take on board what you are saying - the part about a cat not wanting to wander confuses me? I recently watched a interesting programme which no doubt most if not all of you watched?They fitted cat cams and movement trackers to all the outdoor cats and although a few stayed close to their home base the majority of the cats tracked covered vast areas and patrolled the same borders nightly and sometimes daily.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou - that sounds very interesting? It's a very sad fact that so many cats do go missing - but apart from the ones that are tragically found run over I think a great deal just wander off,get lost etc or tempted by a tin of sardines and fresh double cream from a kindly old lady!
Yes i do struggle and feel guilty. I mean the rspca themselves say keep cats indoors if disabled or have a reason. I live in a highway so that's a reason however hubby already saying when we move to a nice area she can go out , my friend said her cat comes indoors for food and sleep only. She lives in Essex . It's cultural that cats are let outside here and me keeping mine indoors is unusual it seems

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I let Oliver out I just know he'd get run over or stolen. Amongst all the other risks, Norm is spectacular enough to be stolen I fear. As well as the malicious thieves, there are some who would loosely convince themselves that he may not have a home and 'innocently' take him.

If we had an ideal, safe world then I'm sure most on here would let them romp in the meadow so to speak.

I can't take the risk with Oliver, he's too innocent for the big bad world. The previous owner also said that in his add.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
There was a dead cat on the road coming in. Pretty sure it belonged to my crap SIL or at least until it got older and she heaved it out the door. When nice people let their cats out they continue to enable irresponsible pet owners like my SIL to engage in this practice. BTW you cat owners that like to let your cat roam be advised she does not vaccinate her pets the way outside cats should be. If you cat comes in contact you have no idea what funk your cat will come home with.
If you're lucky and have a well fenced yard were you can supervise. Or a harness or a catio or cat safe fencing or one of those rare places where there is no danger or a cat that comes when called letting your pet roam is playing Russian roulette.
Personally I don't tolerate loose dogs and there are plenty of laws to back this up sadly when it comes to cats animal control laws are often lax to nonexistent. This would be a short discussion if someone said they wanted to know when it was safe to let their dog outside to roam.

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I let Oliver out I just know he'd get run over or stolen. Amongst all the other risks, Norm is spectacular enough to be stolen I fear. As well as the malicious thieves, there are some who would loosely convince themselves that he may not have a home and 'innocently' take him.

If we had an ideal, safe world then I'm sure most on here would let them romp in the meadow so to speak.

I can't take the risk with Oliver, he's too innocent for the big bad world. The previous owner also said that in his add.
One person alone would struggle to lift my Norm! - And I'm not joking - plus he doesn't like or allow people to pick him up as he's not that sort of cat

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've managed to cross the first hurdle- he has now been wearing his very smart bright purple cat collar with shiny brass id tag! He stopped fighting it after 3/4 days!Cat flap - actually a doggy flap is being fitted tomorrow afternoon by a good carpenter mate of mine so I will let you all know how his outdoor adventure pans out?