When Is A Good Time To Start Dental Care On A Kitten?

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all -

My kitten Dillon is about 14 weeks and I was wondering when would be a good time to start dental care. Right now he's still in the process of losing his baby teeth. I'll be honest, with my previous kitty Prim, I never had to do any form of dental care because her teeth and gums were inexplicably very good and healthy according to my vet (from eating only dry food perhaps?) but I am not sure if I will have the same luck with Dillon.

Does anyone have any recommendations on when to start and what to use?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The earlier the better :) Kittens are usually really easy to get used to handling and claw clipping and even toothbrushing.

Use only pet toothpaste. Pet stores sell various brands in various flavors. Chicken or fish flavored toothpastes tend to be popular with cats. I'm not sure if a cat would like malt or vanilla pet toothpastes :think: CET has a poultry flavored toothpaste that many cats love. You might be able to find this at an indepenent pet store. Or just buy it online from pet supply web sites and even Amazon. CET has a mini cat toothbrush that works great. It's only available as part of a dental kit, such as this one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome, thank you! I will look into that set you suggested on Amazon...the website you linked me to is great but shipping to Canada is very expensive :(

I hope I can him used to it...he is already quite the little firecracker, haha!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy has ProDen PlaqueOff Dental Bites Cat Treats. They are treats that contain seaweed which has enzymes in it that clean the cat's teeth. I was going to order them, but I found some reviews online where people say that seaweed is bad for the thyroid and the treats made their cats sick. Anybody know if that is true?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy has ProDen PlaqueOff Dental Bites Cat Treats. They are treats that contain seaweed which has enzymes in it that clean the cat's teeth. I was going to order them, but I found some reviews online where people say that seaweed is bad for the thyroid and the treats made their cats sick. Anybody know if that is true?
I haven't researched this but I did find at least one thread here...
Daily iodine requirement

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link. It sounds like it might have too much iodine in it. Too bad, it sounded like a great idea.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure. When you google seaweed iodine cats, you get all kinds of info. :dunno: