when do your kitties talk to you??

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I wonder about is that I've read several times, in various places, that cats don't vocalize with each other - except mothers to kittens and vise versa.

However, my cats do vocalize with each other - not much, and usually it's a complaint - but they do make vocal noises to each other.

What's your experience with that?

Robin

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Bootser lets us know that she wants breakfast.....at 4:00 in the morning. Then Whisper chimes in. Followed by Ms. Pepe, and then BooBoo. None of them talk very much unless they want food or they think they need attention.

Mollipop reminds us a lot of our Rainbow Pumpkin-Boy. That girl is constantly talking. We walk into the kitchen and "Hey! I need a snack here!" Or "Mom! I used the litterbox! I pooped! Clean it, will ya?" She talks to her meeces when she plays with them. When she loses them, I swear she's muttering to herself, "Now what did I do with that meece?" When she's gnawing on her meece, she's muttering the whole time. She likes to play with her meeces down in the basement stairway and she'll meow at her meeces. It's so cute to listen to her.

The kids love to kitty-cuss us, usually under their breath. If they think they need a snack and it's only been an hour or so since they had dinner, we'll tell them that they have to wait awhile. And Whisper, especially, will mutter something as she walks away. I'll say, "Kitty-cussing isn't allowed in the house, you know! If I can't cuss, you can't either! Stop it!" And she'll turn around and look at me, then walk off, muttering the whole time. And I know I'm being kitty-cussed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

One thing I wonder about is that I've read several times, in various places, that cats don't vocalize with each other - except mothers to kittens and vise versa.

However, my cats do vocalize with each other - not much, and usually it's a complaint - but they do make vocal noises to each other.

Robin
I think a lot of people who have multiple cats experience that!! I wouldn't know but I've read on here a lot of people say the same thing...
My theory is that since they live with humans, they think they're humans too and learn to talk like us, but in their own way

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ripley has never been afraid to voice her opinion! She usually has something to say about everything. She has a miaow for greeting us and will also stand in front of the door and shout at me if she thinks I shouldn't be leaving the house. She churbles, chirrups and chatters. She mews for treats and I often wind her up by standing next to the cupboard where they're kept and say 'What is it you want?' while her mews get louder and more insistant and she dances round in circles. She also grumbles a lot, mostly at Newt. She swears at Newt too, her favourite is a short, disgusted 'fuff'. Newt always looks at me as if to say 'Did you hear what she just said!'.

Newt didn't say much at all for a long time but eventually discovered her voice. She makes a 'maow' noise rather than a 'miaow'. She will often make a long yodelling noise while running towards me when she wants a cuddle.
Both of them will shout 'Hurry up' at me when I'm dishing out their food.
They sometimes mew at each other but it's always when they're both ganging up on me for treats or trying to out shout each other for food. They don't seem to feel the need to speak to each other unless it's a growl or a hiss when they've fallen out.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pixie is a very vocal cat, she tells me when her bowl is low, when she wants to be petted, and she is in a room and wants me to talk to her, she even tells me when her litterbox needs to be scooped. My rb kitty Tavia was very vocal as well but they were both only cats. So I think that contributed to the vocalness. My aunt's cat Smokey is a chatty cat too and she is an only cat. My aunt believes that the reason our cats are so chatty is because we talk to them alot. What do you think? I do know my cat is very bonded to me much more so than she was to my sister. She will meow to my daddy sometimes but he talks to her as well when he thinks noone is looking.
She seems to know when I need a meow the most.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another funny one is Penny saying "mao" after she's done napping on my bed. Translation: Bored with human bed-- but trust me, I'll be back. (then she jumps down)

The one I find really hilarious is "cat ventriloquism" - That's when they're stressed (usually if another cat's in the room or visible from the window, etc.) and then growl/whine without moving their mouth

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nero sort of chirps around the house, but very rarely will talk back. He likes actions, not mews

Neko and Hoshi will answer back if you ask them a question more times than not. People think I'm crazy having conversations with them, but are impressed when they meow back.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When do my kitties talk to me?
All talk to me when it is time for their breakfast and snacks. Very noisy bunch!!!
Ni will meow when I am eating like he is asking how my food tastes and he would appreciate it if he had some.

San and Ni keep on reminding me that it is time for a treat.
Joji, Ni, San and Ichi always answer my questions.

Buddy and Ni greet me when they see me.

After reading my post I can conclude that Ni is the talker of the bunch.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

Robin
My cats all talk to one another. The greet each other, and have other discussions too.

I talk to them all the time, so they are used to vocal interaction.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ALLLLLLLL of my kitties are loud mouth back talkers.

Hercules doesnt really meow but trills and chirps when he wants to play or is racing around like a looney toon. He is the quietest of the bunch.

Gigi is the bathroom attendant, you ARE NOT allowed in the bathroom without her there to supervise and she will scream...yes literally scream if you shut her out of the bathroom. She also has what I call her jungle cries. They are usually reserved only for winter time when the Christmas tree is up (hence the reason that I put it up so early) She will climb from the bottom to the top trilling chirping and yelling as loud as possible all while shaking and climbing thru the tree.

Bacon is a triller and chirper, she at this moment is chasing her tail around in circles and chirping like a little tweety bird.

Ramsie is a yeller, at 9 weeks old she has already figured out how to yell at us for something. Im slowly weaning her off wet food and when Im in the kitchen cooking she will sit in front of where she normally gets fed and does this loud raspy MERRROOOOOWWWWW which translate into "FEED ME NOW WOMAN" if that doesnt work she will run over to her daddy and crawl up on his chest and rub purr and lovey all over him while chirping in little dainty tones till he tells me to stop starving the baby and feed her shes hungry.

All the kitties will talk to Franklin too, if he starts doing his growly talky thing when he wants something they will talk back and do their tweety bird sounds at him.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emmy has certainly revealed her talkative side!! When I get home from work she is there to meet me and tell me all about her day!! When I have to pull her out of the bathroom sink so I can wash my face, she always has something to say! I think she's kitty-cursing then.