When can the kittens start to roam?

azaria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had kittens almost a month ago (on the 17th).
They are 'outside' cats -- we live on an acreage and they have a kitty door into the heated garage where they live and eat (we also snuggle and play with them every day out there).
Anyway
The kittens were born in a large box - the walls are about 2 feet high so the only world they've seen is the box.
When can we put them in a smaller box where they can get out and roam (and also eat food and drink water)?

Also - if I can ask another question on this thread - there is a runt that I am bottle feeding. When can I start feeding her regular food? i'm thinking maybe some wet food might fatten her up

Thanks =)

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A month old kitten surly can roam, provided the area is extremely kitten proofed.

I would most certainly not let them outdoors unsupervised. All sorts of horrible things come to mind...other cats, hawks, cars, stupid people, getting stuck or falling into something.

Can you bring them in the house for supervised visits? They do need to get out of the box, but please check, re check and check again the area you are letting them out into. And, at night I would still confine them.

They are so fragile, but do need to toughen up by running and exploring. No antifreeze, deep water, deep holes (like wells). They love to climb. If there is a car in this garage, that would not be good. Kittens love get into engines.

The house, IMO, is the safest place for these babies.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Azaria

My cat had kittens almost a month ago (on the 17th).
They are 'outside' cats -- we live on an acreage and they have a kitty door into the heated garage where they live and eat (we also snuggle and play with them every day out there).
Anyway
The kittens were born in a large box - the walls are about 2 feet high so the only world they've seen is the box.
When can we put them in a smaller box where they can get out and roam (and also eat food and drink water)?

Also - if I can ask another question on this thread - there is a runt that I am bottle feeding. When can I start feeding her regular food? i'm thinking maybe some wet food might fatten her up

Thanks =)
What I usually do with my guys at this age is I make a sort of "play pen" for them with cardboard thats about 5 feet around, just so they can get around, but not so much that bad things can happen.
They should be learning to start on solid food around now, and also litter boxes(NON-clumping litter). Try putting a little KMR into the food to soften in, or just use wet food.
Good luck!

tigersdad70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kittens that are just turning 6 weeks. Their "nest" is 3 by 2 "large rabbit cage" and I got a 2' high by 6 sq foot folding exercise kennel to wrap around the nest. The kittens are inside in what "used to be" my art studio... now it's a kitten nursery. Both enclosures were purchased at Petsmart and were under $100 for both.

Just now, they're starting to spend some time "out of the nest". For awhile, they'd only leave the "nest" if I came into the room. But now, at almost 6 weeks, they spend an hour or so in the play area before returning to the "nest". They seem to do this two or three times a day. After feedings, they are staying out and playing before lying down in the "nest".

I couldn't imagine letting mine outside right now, they aren't 100% on their feet yet, still wobbly. And, when mine get more than four or five feet away from me, they get nervous. They tend to explore forward for just a minute, then run back to me, then go off in a different direction and return.