Wheezing cat. Is it a hairball? Coughing?

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all, I have an appointment with the vet for Thursday at 11am. That's the earliest they could get me in.

I adopted Liam a few months ago (I know he's chubby. He's on a diet.) and I've recently noticed he does this wheezing thing that kind of sounds like a hairball but nothing comes up. I sent the video to my vet and he said it sounds like coughing to him. He is suggesting x-rays which I think makes sense. No discharge from eyes or nose. Does this noise sound familiar to anyone? Benjamin has made a similar sound a few times over the years, but again, I figured it was a hairball that won't come up. I put some hairball remedy on Liam's nose and paw yesterday, but nothing yet.

Here is the video. (hope I did that right and it works.)

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This looks like coughing to me and he could possibly have asthma. This is what my cat does when she is having an asthma attack. We now have her on an inhaler twice per day and it seems to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This looks like coughing to me and he could possibly have asthma. This is what my cat does when she is having an asthma attack. We now have her on an inhaler twice per day and it seems to help.
Is it difficult to use the inhaler? He is so weird and likes to play in clean litter. I changed litter in one box today and I found him lying in it. I'm going to keep an eye on that and see if that's triggering these episodes. It's lucky that I work from home so I can notice these things. If I were in the office, I'd probably miss it.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all, I have an appointment with the vet for Thursday at 11am. That's the earliest they could get me in.

I adopted Liam a few months ago (I know he's chubby. He's on a diet.) and I've recently noticed he does this wheezing thing that kind of sounds like a hairball but nothing comes up. I sent the video to my vet and he said it sounds like coughing to him. He is suggesting x-rays which I think makes sense. No discharge from eyes or nose. Does this noise sound familiar to anyone? Benjamin has made a similar sound a few times over the years, but again, I figured it was a hairball that won't come up. I put some hairball remedy on Liam's nose and paw yesterday, but nothing yet.

Here is the video. (hope I did that right and it works.)
My Simba does this sometimes and he is diagnosed with asthma. X rays should reveal that. It’s definitively more of a coughing though.

Simba has a mild asthma so he doesn’t require inhaler every day but that might be the case. He only needs his inhaler like twice a month when he has his coughing, it helps with his asthma attack right away. We will need to use the inhaler every day with different medication if his asthma becomes worse. But it’s under total control right now.

Sending all the good vibes! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Simba does this sometimes and he is diagnosed with asthma. X rays should reveal that. It’s definitively more of a coughing though.

Sending all the good vibes! :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Interesting that an x ray will tell you that!! I didn't know! That makes me feel better that we could get something definitive. He said he would do x rays so hopefully we'll get answers. Thanks for the good vibes!

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting that an x ray will tell you that!! I didn't know! That makes me feel better that we could get something definitive. He said he would do x rays so hopefully we'll get answers. Thanks for the good vibes!
Redacted my previous answer a bit ;)

Yes, X rays will show chronic inflammation in his bronchial tubes or they will have more definite pattern. This will tell your vet about the asthma, especially with his attacks that look like classic asthma attacks in cats. I needed to see a few vets before Simba was diagnosed, not all vets are great in reading X rays, hopefully yours is.

I’m sure you’ll get a diagnosis for your fur son! Great thing you filmed that, it’s really helpful

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it difficult to use the inhaler? He is so weird and likes to play in clean litter. I changed litter in one box today and I found him lying in it. I'm going to keep an eye on that and see if that's triggering these episodes. It's lucky that I work from home so I can notice these things. If I were in the office, I'd probably miss it.
Well, she doesn't exactly love it. Sometimes she is more cooperative than other times. It would probably help if I asked my husband to help me, but he is often not home during the times that I need to give it to her. I use this to give her the inhaler and give her treats afterwards that I only give her after she uses the inhaler. There is a little flap inside that moves when she breathes in so that I can tell when she has taken a deep breath. I usually aim to have her do 6 deep breaths, but sometimes she doesn't cooperate and I just have to settle for what I can get. Here is a video I came across the other day that shows you how to train them to use it.

I believe your vet can take an x-ray and that can sometimes give a clue on if it is asthma or not. I honestly can't remember if they were definitive with her diagnosis or not. It's possible that they said "It's probably asthma, try an inhaler." When she actually cooperates, her attacks are much fewer and even non-existent. But if I skip a dose or she's not cooperating, they come back. So, it likely is asthma. The inhalers are CRAZY expensive in the US, so my vet sends the prescription to Canada Pharmacy. They are still not cheap, but they are about $450 less than if I buy them in the US? I paid $140 (plus $10 shipping) to get a 4 month supply last time I ordered. I think one inhaler is like $450-550 in the US.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, she doesn't exactly love it. Sometimes she is more cooperative than other times. It would probably help if I asked my husband to help me, but he is often not home during the times that I need to give it to her. I use this to give her the inhaler and give her treats afterwards that I only give her after she uses the inhaler. There is a little flap inside that moves when she breathes in so that I can tell when she has taken a deep breath. I usually aim to have her do 6 deep breaths, but sometimes she doesn't cooperate and I just have to settle for what I can get. Here is a video I came across the other day that shows you how to train them to use it.

I believe your vet can take an x-ray and that can sometimes give a clue on if it is asthma or not. I honestly can't remember if they were definitive with her diagnosis or not. It's possible that they said "It's probably asthma, try an inhaler." When she actually cooperates, her attacks are much fewer and even non-existent. But if I skip a dose or she's not cooperating, they come back. So, it likely is asthma. The inhalers are CRAZY expensive in the US, so my vet sends the prescription to Canada Pharmacy. They are still not cheap, but they are about $450 less than if I buy them in the US? I paid $140 (plus $10 shipping) to get a 4 month supply last time I ordered. I think one inhaler is like $450-550 in the US.
That's crazy!!!!!! Man.....

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's crazy!!!!!! Man.....
There may be other options available (like pills or another kind of inhaler?), but I have not discussed other options with our vet. I would see what your vet suggests and go from there.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There may be other options available (like pills or another kind of inhaler?), but I have not discussed other options with our vet. I would see what your vet suggests and go from there.
Well if the prices are what you say, I'm bookmarking that Canada Pharmacy!

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well if the prices are what you say, I'm bookmarking that Canada Pharmacy!
I never looked into the actual cost in the US, but that is what my vet told me they were if we ordered from the US. So, I just chose to believe her and go with the less expensive option. It works out to be about $38 a month. She gets 1 puff twice a day (12 hours apart). So, when you do the math that way, it isn't terrible.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Went to vet today and had xrays. He definitely has asthma. He said cats "rebel" against inhalers, so he wants to try Prednisone. Twice a day for seven days. If the wheezing goes away, move to once a day. Any other asthma tips? He said no covered litter boxes, which I don't have. I should probably dust more often. I wonder if I should try to change litters to one that is less dusty. I use Tidy Cat clump.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Went to vet today and had xrays. He definitely has asthma. He said cats "rebel" against inhalers, so he wants to try Prednisone. Twice a day for seven days. If the wheezing goes away, move to once a day. Any other asthma tips? He said no covered litter boxes, which I don't have. I should probably dust more often. I wonder if I should try to change litters to one that is less dusty. I use Tidy Cat clump.
Don’t settle for prednisone. Steroids in injections or pills do tend to have a better and faster effect but they also can damage liver and kidneys among other not pleasant side effects. There are a lot of them. Try inhalers. At least it’s safe and steroids in form of inhalers only affect lungs in a way they should. No other consequences for a whole organism. I hate vets who right away prescribe things that can and will harm your cat. No need to. Yes, inhalers can be quite tricky but you will get there, it just takes time and effort. I’m sure you’re willing to do so for your cat. Long term use of steroids in injections or even pills (it’s the same honestly, injections just work faster) can be really dangerous. I wouldn’t do that. Especially injections.

How often does your cat have asthma attacks? How severe are they?

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with @ lwndlnd lwndlnd about not starting with Prednisolone. It also lowers their immune system, which can create other problems. I have a cat on it for a different reason (possible IBD/possible small cell lymphoma) and the only reason he is on it is because our options are very limited and without it he barely eats. I've recently starting giving it to him every other day to try to limit the damage and help his immune system.

Is your guy food motivated? You could probably train him to use the inhaler spacer fairly easily, if so. The inhaler is also a steroid, but my understanding is that it's a little safer. You can also add trying a humidifier to wherever he is hanging out if he's having a hard time. I don't know if it works, but I did use one for my cat during the summer when we were having drier days and we were still trying to get her use to the inhaler. It did seem to help, but you know how hard it is to tell when they can't just flat out tell you. The inhaler our vet prescribed is Fluticasone, which is the generic equivalent of the Flovent inhaler.

It's probably a good idea to move to a less dusty cat litter, if possible. You probably also want to limit using any chemicals like bleach cleaners and the like around him and probably things like air fresheners/scented candles, etc.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with @ lwndlnd lwndlnd about not starting with Prednisolone. It also lowers their immune system, which can create other problems. I have a cat on it for a different reason (possible IBD/possible small cell lymphoma) and the only reason he is on it is because our options are very limited and without it he barely eats. I've recently starting giving it to him every other day to try to limit the damage and help his immune system.

Is your guy food motivated? You could probably train him to use the inhaler spacer fairly easily, if so. The inhaler is also a steroid, but my understanding is that it's a little safer. You can also add trying a humidifier to wherever he is hanging out if he's having a hard time. I don't know if it works, but I did use one for my cat during the summer when we were having drier days and we were still trying to get her use to the inhaler. It did seem to help, but you know how hard it is to tell when they can't just flat out tell you. The inhaler our vet prescribed is Fluticasone, which is the generic equivalent of the Flovent inhaler.

It's probably a good idea to move to a less dusty cat litter, if possible. You probably also want to limit using any chemicals like bleach cleaners and the like around him and probably things like air fresheners/scented candles, etc.
Yes, inhalers are also steroids but they are way more safe. They only affect lungs, they are not absorbed in the blood so no side effects on the whole body at all.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don’t settle for prednisone. Steroids in injections or pills do tend to have a better and faster effect but they also can damage liver and kidneys among other not pleasant side effects. There are a lot of them. Try inhalers. At least it’s safe and steroids in form of inhalers only affect lungs in a way they should. No other consequences for a whole organism. I hate vets who right away prescribe things that can and will harm your cat. No need to. Yes, inhalers can be quite tricky but you will get there, it just takes time and effort. I’m sure you’re willing to do so for your cat. Long term use of steroids in injections or even pills (it’s the same honestly, injections just work faster) can be really dangerous. I wouldn’t do that. Especially injections.

How often does your cat have asthma attacks? How severe are they?
Daily

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat also get daily attacks, sometimes multiple. She isn't perfect with the inhaler, but shes pretty good. It took practice and treats.
He also needs to lose weight. I would imagine that has to help. I’ll call the vet tomorrow and I just emailed my old vet that left the practice.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems like you will need to use an inhaler twice a way. Once again, it might take time and effort but it’s worth it. It wasn’t that hard to teach my cat to tolerate it. Each time it’s like 20 seconds, so it’s not long.

About what else you can do to help your cat. Changing the litter to a less dusty one is a great idea. Air humidifiers are great as well, make sure it’s just a humidifier, not an air freshener.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heard from my old vet. Reaching out to current to let them know I want to try inhaler after this 2 weeks is up. From vet:

“Hi, so the general protocol for asthma in cats is 2 weeks of oral steroids to build up steady state in their system while getting them started on the inhaler within the second week and inhaler longterm. A short course of steroids usually doesn’t have serious negative effects, in some rare cases it can push cats to become transient diabetics.”