What's Your Experience With Acana Brand And Fromm Brand? I Want To Switch.

Which do you prefer?

• Acana Brand

• Fromm Brand

• Blue Buffalo Brand

• Orijen Brand

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

derpymcturdy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! I love this forum.
Anyways, I'd like to switch my beautiful little purebred Brit cat off of her current brand to one of these "premium" brands.
My cat has always had Blue Buffalo Dry Food and Wet Food her entire 1.5 year life.
However, I don't like the fact that the Dry Food has Carrageenan in it and the wet food has Guar Gum.
So, while I was looking at Fromm Brand and Acana Brand, I noticed something a bit odd: Acana Dry Food starts around $44 for a 12LB bag, while Fromm Dry Food starts around $41 for a 15 LB Bag. I don't understand why one brand gives more food for a lesser price.
I can't figure it out, anyone have any ideas? Aren't both brand top-notch?
I don't really want to move all the way up to Orijen Brand because these two seem perfectly fine to me.
So, do you have any thoughts on which one I should go for? My cat is 100% healthy and has NO dietary restrictions at all.
Thanks! (pic below is her!)
20160208_102702.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Depending where you live i cannot in good faith recommend Acana or Orijen manufactured by Champion. I was feeding Acana with great results when it was made in Canada. However, Champion built a production facility in Kentucky thus the formula changed and not for the better. The US can no longer get the Canadian manufactured product anymore. :( I transitioned to Fromm and our cat has done extremely well on it. I feed Fromm Hasen Duckenpfeffer in the morning and freeze dried raw food in the evening. You can refer to this TCS link for more information:
Last bag of Orijen (Canada) looking for new dry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

derpymcturdy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Depending where you live i cannot in good faith recommend Acana or Orijen manufactured by Champion. I was feeding Acana with great results when it was made in Canada. However, Champion built a production facility in Kentucky thus the formula changed and not for the better. The US can no longer get the Canadian manufactured product anymore. :( I transitioned to Fromm and our cat has done extremely well on it. I feed Fromm Hasen Duckenpfeffer in the morning and freeze dried raw food in the evening. You can refer to this TCS link for more information:
Last bag of Orijen (Canada) looking for new dry
wait Champion? You mean that company that used to make sweatshirts and hoodies and, like tennis shirts? so is Orijen the only one left that's made in Canada? So you're saying Fromm Brand is better?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fromm is a family owned brand with a good reputation. Orijen and Acana switched factories for US clients and has gone downhill. I personally dislike Blue Buffalo for a variety fo reasons.

When it comes to dry food you want high protein and low carbs. I have one with food sensitivities and what I look for (outside of no chicken) is no cranberries, no fish, no grains and I prefer peas over potatos (tapioca better). Ideally you want 40% protein and 10% carbs but that is really really hard to find in dry. Because of my situation and chicken being a no go we ended up on Only Nautral Pets PowerFood which isn't ideal but compromise given situation.

If I could have chicken inclusive food I would be on Young Again Zero with mine. Although the Only Natural Pet PowerFood Poultry looks good too. Some of the price difference you noted is quality of products, some is just profit and some is the difference between and smaller and larger company being avle to negotiate supply costs. Higher price doesn't necessarily mean better quality.

Do remember to switch very very slowly. Not only because food changes should be gradual in general but going from a lower to significantly high protein food can be hard on tummies. Mine were in Natures Variety before so they were alreaay at the 40% protein level.

Another suggestion would be one of the complete diet dehyrdated food like Primal. They are like pucks of food you rehydrate to feed. Minimal fillers and more natural nutrition. I can't because the cost but with one cat it would be manageable.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats have both liked various flavours of Fromm kibble, and I can get them now and then at a good sale price.