What's You Kitty's Story?

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I decided to get a cat for the first time in my life I found a beautiful adult shelter boy I couldn't resist. I brought him home and he was full of love and fit right in. I named him Big Daddy as he was a huge cat. A couple months after that I learned he had injuries in his back that we (multiple vets) could not find a solution to and ultimately I had to let him go because his pain was intense and not improving at all. I assumed this is why he was taken to the shelter in the first place. I was bonded to him in that short time and completely devastated by his condition. My heart was broken. I felt like a failure.

A month later I decided to try again and go look at more cats. There weren't many but there was a litter of tiny black kittens. I opened the door and they all seemed terrified except one. One kitten launched himself onto my shirt and climbed on my shoulder. I was sold. I brought him home and he was not sleeping and constantly meowing and crying. After a week of this I thought about taking him back. The next day we went to the vet for vaccines and a wellness check. He had ear mites, a UTI and several other small ailments that needed repairs. A $35 kitten became a $600 nightmare. I still wanted rid of him as I felt like I couldn't take this on.

Throughout the next weeks he was sleeping on me and in my bed. We played and cuddled. He was constantly showing me his gratitude everyday. In a sense I feel like we saved each other. He surely would have died at that shelter in the shape he was in. He showed me how to let another cat love me and helped me with my grief from Big Daddy. Some people will say "It's just a cat" but they must not be cat owners. I love all three of my cats but share a special bond with Lux that I don't with the other two. Thank you for letting me share. The first photo is Big Daddy, the second is soon after I brought Lux home. Then one of him in all his adultness.

So what's your kitty's story? How did you find each other?

Attachments

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LuxBear LuxBear - Congratulations on finding a way to allow your beautiful Lux into your cor Heart.

I spun the Wheel of Fortune and simply hit the jackpot.

elevennamed.jpg

Eight of my eleven are former ferals, and their stories would be somewhat long and involved, so rather than writing a novel, or enumerating sixty years of cats, I'll just give the short version of the shortest introduction.

I walked into the mud room one morning on the way to get the paper and the mail, and I felt something brush past my leg, and continue on into the house. I turned round to see a young adolescent Snowshoe cat standing on the third stair, at the threshold of the inner door and said, "hello, Snowshoe," or something equally trite, and she stood up on her back legs and began to jiggle the knob. Assuming that she'd escaped from a neighbour, I opened the door, whereupon she simply walked in, went directly to a food bowl, and began to eat.

When I came back with the paper and the mail, she was sitting on the counter, grooming, and looking for all the world as though she owned the place. I was about to go back out to canvass the nearest houses, when my next door neighbour walked in and - seeing the Snowshoe on the counter - said, "oh, never mind; I see it's already here." While I made coffee, she related what had transpired earlier that morning - a young couple from across the river had pulled their Bentley into my drive, unceremoniously tossed the cat out, and driven off. She watched the Snowshoe saunter to the door, stand up, and press the lever which opened the screen door into the mudroom, where the cat clearly laid in wait for me in the same fashion as Telemachus ambushed Proteus (she is, after all, a Seal Point).

I later learned that the couple had only recently Married, and were divorcing, having acquired the cat from a breeder only weeks beforehand. My natural assumption was that the cat had become one of the casualties of war as it were, and that they'd opted to set her free rather than enter into a long harangue over who kept her. Having now known Moo Shu Snowshoe for some time, however, I've disabused myself of so foolish a notion. Snowshoes are never the 'victims' of divorces - they're the cause.

mooshuupsidedown.jpg

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
LuxBear LuxBear That's a heartbreaking story about Big Daddy, and a wonderful one about Lux. They are both beautiful.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine - Amazing story about your Snowshoe ... that's a cat that doesn't take no - or a closed door - for an answer!

Our feisty cuddle bug (and sometime toast crumb collector) Olive was a twice cast-off kitty by people that didn't understand cats (long story here: Olive's Story).

I felt bad for her after our neighbor moved away and left her (she sat around and seemed depressed). But I knew we didn't want a third cat. It was too many cats, right!? But then I picked her up for the first time and she was asleep in my arms in minutes. That's when I knew we would make it work. I started coming to see her in the morning and at night, and she would jump into my lap and purr for hours. She like to lead me to things so she gets what she wants (food, cuddles, toys). Now that she's moved in, she's a totally different cat. Energetic, feisty, tenacious. She's often chased be one of our boys and two seconds later pops back up as if nothing happened. If I could have designed a cat myself I don't think I would have made any changes. :catrub:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge were born in the garden of an abandoned building that belonged to a semi-feral colony of 60+ cats, most of whom have now been rehomed or taken to animal shelters. They were rescued at around a few months old and we got them last December, a week before Christmas. Whilst they were a Christmas gift, I know they are a gift for life, and the best presents I've ever received :)

They were both incredibly shy when we first got them; and only let us stroke them. Now, they're quite the lap cats, and love human attention. They're getting a lot more bold and confident and love exploring (inside and out!). They're such little cute characters.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie was found outside at roughly two months by one of my mother's coworkers. Her house was already full of animals, so she was asking around if anyone wanted a kitten. Mom immediately texted me, and I said yes without hesitation.

Later on, I felt Charlie and I both needed a friend, so I sat in the cat room of my local shelter for a while, watching how they all interacted with each other. A grey tabby kitten named Slate was clearly trying to divide her time between me and the other kittens. I finally picked her up, and not only did she not resist, she put her head on my shoulder, closed her eyes, and started purring. Slate is now Selene.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine: What a wonderful wheel and some very luck cats to have found their way to you. MooShu is gorgeous!

KarenKat: I read Olive's story. She's a doll. I'm happy you decided to let her stick around (as if she was going to go anywhere else.)

aliceneko: Such cute little kits, adorable names! I love gingers.

My second addition after Lux was a jump into the deep end and I just didn't know it yet. I work 12+ hr days and felt Lux needed a companion for the alone time. I had recently fell in love with Toygers and decided I would find a breeder and get one for us. I made the six hour drive, got stuck in a snowstorm, had to stay an extra day then finally got home. Lux hated him from the start but eventually warmed up to him...a little. Sometimes I don't blame him I guess. Bug is a horrible pet. He's been a behavioral nightmare since I got him. Meowing all night, spraying on things, chewing everything, counter surfing, separation anxiety, you name it. His heart is full of nothing but love though and through a ton (and I mean a TON) of patience, positive reinforcement and understanding I have corrected a lot of his issues. That cat sure can melt your heart with his snuggles and I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.
IMG_4957.JPG

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bug is beautiful!

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's cat stories. Its sort of a chicken soup read to make you feel good and warm your heart!

I've told my story of me and Gypsy somewhere so I'll give a short version here.

I had just lost the last of my 5 cats and was devastated. It was sad watching them go one by one and Cookiepuss was the last of the 5. She passed on a Sunday afternoon at home in her favorite bed with a full belly so I feel blessed that she was surrounded by familiar things and smells.

I buried her the next morning but was so lonely without a cat I thought I would just drop by the shelter to see what they had. I was still grieving for Cookiepuss but I had not been without a cat for so long I couldn't stand not having one in the house.

I looked at all the cats in the shelter but nothing clicked. I was thinking I was crazy after all and then I asked if these were all the cats? I was told no, there was a room for new cats so I asked to take a look at them. I was watching a couple of Toms that were very sweet and outgoing. Then I saw this very shy small calico cat trying its best to hide in its cage. I have a thing for shy cats so I asked to see her. When they put her in my arms she sort of burrowed in like she was home. My heart melted right there and I said "I want this one!" So I took her home.

It took her about a week before she would come out of hiding but once she started coming out I found I had adopted the sweetest most affectionate velcro cat I ever had. That was exactly what I was hoping for so I got my wish!

Here is one of the few pics I have of her. She has these amazing green eyes!

*Cat Whispurrer*

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I grew up with parents who were dog lovers and I am not saying that dogs are bad because I like them, but secretly I thought cats were cuter inside but my dad was allergic to cats and not dogs. So once I was on my own I lived in an apartment and wouldn't you know it they didn't allow pets. Then I met my boyfriend and we moved in together and we finally got Charlotte from the Humane Society and she has been wonderful.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'd always wanted a cat, but kept putting it off once I finally moved out of my parents' house because I wasn't sure I was financially stable enough and just too timid to make the leap. Then I met the bf and fell in love with his cat and wanted one of my own and finally decided to take the plunge after our trip last year.

I wanted a kitten and I checked out the website for the local animal care league, but there was only one or two kittens and neither of them jumped out at me.

I knew my mom's friend volunteered for this TNR, so I decided to look at their website and decided to do a search for calico since that's always been my favorite pattern. There was exactly one 4 month old calico, who was written up as shy and looking for a quiet home and a patient caregiver. Teaching preschool, I love my quiet time and know patience so it seemed like a perfect fit and on my bf's urging filled out the application right away before she was snatched up.

Two or three days later I went to her foster home to meet her, ran out to the nearest pet store to get supplies, because silly me, I came woefully unprepared, and took her home.

And 9ish months later she's a spoiled housecat who has forgotten her humble feral roots. And I love her so much.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was driving in downtown San Francisco when i got a call. Being a good driver (most of the time), i pulled over to take it. When i hung up i looked up, i was parked by an alley and a vacant lot that was fenced in, and i noticed a black thing moving. I looked closer and realized it was a cat. I was instantly torn, bc people dont let their cats roam in downtown sf. The outer part yeah but not downtown, so i knew she was a stray. A little part of me said " its not my problem, cld be someones cat anyway... but really i knew i couldnt leave her. I got out and walked up to the fence, she was kind of friendly but wary, so i walked to the gas station and got some beef jerky. I came back and tossed it to her to get her closer. She meowed and came closer, and i could see her fur was a little scroungey looking and she looked thin. I got her to come through a gap in the gate and she let me pick her up, i got her in my van, and tried to drive away but she got scared and started leaping around the van. It was a cool day so i crscked the windows, locked the van, and ubered to Target (10 mins away) to get a cat carrier-and they didnt have one! Im like NOW what-how am i going to get this kitty home? So i bought a duffel bag and came back, got in the van, and put her in it. She didnt like it but she never hissed or growled or got aggressive. I made sure she had air and told her the whole way home that she was going to be ok.

Got her home, gave her some food, and was thinking maybe id take her to the aspca.. but i knew i wouldnt. I was already attached. I was not planning to get a kitty-i love animals and especially csts, but im moving soon, things are up in the air.. a cat was not in my plans. But she was such a nice kitty, id always wanted a black cat, it wasnt that big a deal, i could afford it.. i talked myself into it :)

Took her to the vet, got meds for infection, flea med, spayed.. and now shes me little princess :) ive had her 7 months now. Shes laying against my leg right now sleeping as i write this and i have no regrets. =^..^=

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Then:

I took out my phone & filmed a little when i found her, just on the off chance i decided to keep her... oh who am i kidding, i knew i was keeping her the minute i saw her =^..^

And now, sleeping on my electronics as usual, being supercute :)
20180529_053219.jpg

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A bit of C'est Moi's story:

The lady whom I adopted C'est Moi from had several kittens available at the time. I looked at them all and interacted with them all, but there was something special about C'est Moi. I was wearing a hoodie sweatshirt with strings and little C'est Moi(actually she was known as Athena at the time...that's what the lady who had her was calling her) was playing with the strings, and when I picked her up she started climbing all over me. It was like there was an instant bond. That is also how she got her unusual name "C'est Moi". It was like she was telling me it's me...C'est Moi is French for "it's me".
SAM_7428.JPG

jeannecarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dingtoes was a factory kitten my father brought home from work one day; she became my mother's shadow. People were rather lax about spaying back in those days (and nobody heard of neutering, you'd think), and she had a litter; Kitchy was the one daughter out of 4, and she survived all of them by many years and lived to be 15; she was indubitably MY cat!

Mici came from my downstairs neighbors in my first apartment; she had belonged to the man's parents, who had to give her up because his father had developed emphysema. But the family couldn't deal with her either, because they had 4 children and a dog and cat in their 5-room apartment, and she was freaking out and hiding in the basement. So they gave her to me. With me, she eventually got used to visitors and became a lap cat; to me she was a mink stole! I had her for almost 13 years.

Oreo was born to the cat of a family we're friends with; their cat they were hoping to breed back to certain stock from their home area, but meanwhile she got out and ended up with a litter of 3, of which only one survived: Oreo. When he was old enough they offered him to us, and we had him for a full 16 years, the longest either one of us ever had a pet. He died 2 years ago, when we had him put down due to severe kidney issues that were only getting worse.

10 years ago we were at a Halloween party held by a friend from church, and his teenage daughter was eager to show off the kittens from the litter they were fostering along with their mom from a local humane society. I came, I saw, I fell in love with this one particular kitten (out of the 5). They were announcing the kittens at church anyway, and I told them that if someone else wanted him, OK, but if he was still available when they were going to return them to the society we would take him, and that's what happened. That's our Mackie. He'll be 11 in September. (In the end, they only returned one kitten and the mother, and within the month both were individually adopted from the society. I sometimes tell Mackie that I hope his littermates are as spoiled as he is.)

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna was perhaps a bit of an impulse decision. I really just wanted a playmate for my dog and I knew he liked cats and got along well with them. I wanted a kitten so it could be raised with Bosco. There were no kittens at the shelters, so I went to Facebook and looked for a black kitten. I met the person at a gas station in another town, it was storming so bad, and she just handed her off to me in the parking lot. I think I had a cardboard box in my backseat to put her in. Then I drove to PetSmart to buy a proper carrier, food, toys, bowls, litter, all the works. I didn't have a chance to get to the store before then, and this was the only black female cat that I could find.

I took her home and set her up in my office and she had worms and diarrhea so bad. I was cleaning up poop all over the place. She was also super hyper. I almost wanted rid of her because of how crazy she was. But she made a good playmate for Bosco. They would wrestle, sleep together, chase each other.

After having Luna for a year, I wanted another cat because now I like cats I guess. So I went searching for a male all white cat and found him being given away on Facebook. I met this person at a gas station in another town and had a proper carrier, which he barely fit it. I was shocked at how big he was. Luna is so small compared to him. I had to go buy a bigger carrier and a bigger litterbox. The lady I got him from had a kid in the car who was making a fuss. I think he didn't want to give up the cat. I don't think the lady really wanted to give him away either. The gist I got from it was that she was ill and she and her kids had to move back in with her mom (grandma) and she couldn't care for the cat anymore because she was sick- sounded like something serious, but I didn't really ask. Artemis and Luna are like best friends now and poor Bosco doesn't have a playmate anymore because now the cats have each other.