What's Up With This Stray?

MyCatSqueaks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been feeding a stray for a while - she let's me pet her, and has even acclimated to my dog (they interact when we go out). I tried introducing her to my cat but it didn't go well, so I haven't made her a part of the family yet.Squeaks gets a FLUTD flare up every time he's stressed, and being hissed and clawed at by a cat he doesn't know is pretty stressful.

Anyway, tonight I took the dog and a bowl of cat food out for our usual routine, and after she ate she casually strolled up behind me, squatted, and peed right in my shoe.

Not cool, kitty.

How should I interpret this?!?

NT8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, she ain't going anywhere, you've officially been adopted! Persevere with the introductions to your other cat if you can, but it will take time and Squeaks may never take to her but might accept her around. I have two that HATE each other, never fight just completely ignore each other. But that's rare, with time and patience most cats will adapt, I hope all goes well!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, she's marking you as her territory. I know it's hard to see this as a compliment, but that's what it is.

Persevere with the introductions. It can take ages, but it's best to go slowly so the cats get used to each other. Some articles here that might help.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Has the outdoor cat been spayed? Introduction will be much easier if she has. Cats are more likely to spray their territory if they're on heat, so now might be a good time to get her fixed if she hasn't been done already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyCatSqueaks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh boy...maybe next time she's feeling lovey she could just bring me a dead mouse instead?!?

Thanks for all the tips. I think she's probably going to be mine one way or the other, she's too nice (unprovoked shoe attacks notwithstanding) to not belong somewhere.

As for being fixed, I'm not sure. Her ear is clipped so I suspect she's been tnr'd at some point. I want her to see the vet before I try bringing her in again - my fiance's mom is lending me a plastic carrier that's easier to clean so I can take her next payday.