What's the last thing you ate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you make asparagus. I've never cooked them.
It's really easy.  First I cut them into bite sized pieces.  Then I heat up some olive oil in a skillet.  Salt and pepper the asparagus, then toss into the pan.  They cook in just a few minutes; they turn a brighter shade of green.  I added some Sherry when cooking them too.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really easy.  First I cut them into bite sized pieces.  Then I heat up some olive oil in a skillet.  Salt and pepper the asparagus, then toss into the pan.  They cook in just a few minutes; they turn a brighter shade of green.  I added some Sherry when cooking them too.
Can I use butter and I don't have any booze.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! I have sherry for cooking. I bought it to make trifle but I've used it for sauces ect. I'm going to try it with asparagus. Thanks for the tip Peaches.
Last thing I ate was macadamia nuts.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! I have sherry for cooking. I bought it to make trifle but I've used it for sauces ect. I'm going to try it with asparagus. Thanks for the tip Peaches.
Last thing I ate was macadamia nuts.
I use it on sauteed onions too.  Actually, I make a quick and dirty French onion soup that way.  I use other cooking wines for this and that too, but I always keep cooking sherry around.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why can't you take blood pressure pills with grapefruit? :-[
How about orange juice.
Grapefruit interacts with certain pills, the blood pressure ones I was on are one of them. I can't remember the exact reason why, but I remember watching a show on it last year.

I ate a cheddar english muffin with cream cheese.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
MMMMMMMMmmmMMMM

this sounds good. :) soo soo good.

i hope you're feeling much better now, and not so sick 

i had a weird breakfast: honey roasted peanuts and a Monterrey jack cheese stick. not out of choice : / haven't had time/money for some decent groceries this week!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grapefruit interacts with certain pills, the
blood pressure ones I was on are one of them. I can't remember the exact reason why, but I remember watching a show on it last year.
I know you can't have grapefruit juice with vitamins and antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A toasted cheese sandwich for breakfast this morning. I'm starving today. I kept the sandwich down. Still can't keep coffee down. I would kill for a cup of coffee. 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Grapefruit interacts with certain pills, the blood pressure ones I was on are one of them. I can't remember the exact reason why, but I remember watching a show on it last year.

Grapefruit and grapefruit juice affect the absorption rate of many blood pressure medications.  Aggravating as it was, good on you for listening to sound advice.  How is your blood pressure now?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A toasted cheese sandwich for breakfast this morning. I'm starving today. I kept the sandwich down. Still can't keep coffee down. I would kill for a cup of coffee. 
Sorry you've been so under the weather!  Maybe you can try a little coffee with food?  Or is it still coming back up even then?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It's even coming up with food. I think it's the acid. I'm off work yet tomorrow, so I'm going to try it again in the morning. I can't live without coffee.

I read that about grapefruit and the juice. I have high blood pressure, too, and I have to be careful. Something about an enzyme in the fruit that counteracts the effects of the meds. I know you can't add fresh grapefruit to gelatin; it won't gel. Canned yes, fresh no. And I'm really careful about grapefruit. Hope you're doing much better now.

If you take calcium pills (I do), you shouldn't drink orange juice with the pills because there's something in orange juice that hinders the absorption of calcium. Sometimes you just can't win.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's even coming up with food. I think it's the acid. I'm off work yet tomorrow, so I'm going to try it again in the morning. I can't live without coffee.

I read that about grapefruit and the juice. I have high blood pressure, too, and I have to be careful. Something about an enzyme in the fruit that counteracts the effects of the meds. I know you can't add fresh grapefruit to gelatin; it won't gel. Canned yes, fresh no. And I'm really careful about grapefruit. Hope you're doing much better now.

If you take calcium pills (I do), you shouldn't drink orange juice with the pills because there's something in orange juice that hinders the absorption of calcium. Sometimes you just can't win.
I remember hearing the Vitamin C (orange juice) and calcium interaction years ago, but for the life of me I cannot find any info on it now.  You'll find some OJ's with calcium added, actually.

The grapefruit problem has to do with specific liver enzymes needed to break the drug down for excretion from the body.  Grapefruit blocks that enzyme, allowing for increased and dangerous levels of the metabolite in the blood.

Coffee is acidic.  I'm sorry it's bothering you.  I wish I knew other advice besides "give it time" but it's all I got. Hope you get better soon!

Last edited:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Grapefruit and grapefruit juice affect the absorption rate of many blood pressure medications.  Aggravating as it was, good on you for listening to sound advice.  How is your blood pressure now?
Thanks, I knew it was something like that. My blood pressure is about the same as it was while on meds. My doctor told me early pregnancy lowers your BP. It's usually around 132/83 now which I am happy with. I check it once or twice a day (usually morning and night). 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would be starving you poor thing. It sound like you're improving though. These things seem to knock the energy out of us for a while. Hang in there. It will all be over soon :)
I'm about to have toast with peanutbutter. Then I'm going to make cupcakes for my kids and try not to sample them.

Status
Not open for further replies.