What's the last thing you ate - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Stewball
was it the chocolate itself or the added ingredients of whatever brand you were eating? I make my own chocolate, it's super easy, super tasty, and pretty healthy as well.
It was the chocolate.
since I stopped getting migraines I haven't had to worry but I do try not to pig out on chocolate any more.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many years ago, if over ate chocolate at night I'd have crashing migraine so I'd take a painkiller before I went to bed.
My whole family loved/love chocolate.
I love chocolate mint and chocolate orange.
And it's better to be a chocoholic than say an alcoholic.
We don't hurt anybody.
I've found the opposite, in that sometimes if I have a tension headache over my eyes, if I eat some chocolate it will go away.  The caffeine, I think.

I love chocolate and mint.  But not chocolate and orange flavouring.  And yes, we don't hurt anyone being chocoholics.

@Stewball was it the chocolate itself or the added ingredients of whatever brand you were eating? I make my own chocolate, it's super easy, super tasty, and pretty healthy as well.
How do you make your own chocolate?

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@rubysmama :

1/2 cup cocoa butter

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1/4 cup raw honey

1/2 ts vanilla

flavorings (nuts, crystalized ginger, fruits, anything you want! I make a pistachio bar for my hubby, I love sunflower seeds, i have also drizzled it on blueberries, strawberries and orange slices to make chocolate covered fruit) or none if you just want plain chocolate

1) Melt the cocoa butter in a double boiler (or slowly melt it on low heat in a glass bowl on a pan with water - so long as the water is not touching the bowl you should be fine)

2) Remove from heat. Add in honey and carefully melt and mix

3) add cocoa powder, vanilla and any flavorings

4) slowly stir to make sure all ingredients are smoothly mixed together

5) pour into molds (I have yet to bother buying a mold
I just use shapes made of tin foil. if you want something neater and prettier just buy a chocolate mold. they're pretty cheap, I'm just lazy maybe for christmas this year, I keep thinking little handmade chocolates would be great gifts)

6) let harden. I stick in the fridge so it hardens more quickly

It will keep for about a week in the fridge, I believe ... I have no idea though as the chocolate I make never lasts that long.

You can mix and match and substitute as desired. More cocoa powder will make a darker chocolate, more sweetener will make a sweeter chocolate. Double it if you want more chocolate, etc. That's just the ratio I use. You can also use molasses, agave nectar, etc to sweeten it. It's really up to personal taste - but I can tell you that using agave nectar or molasses is easier to blend smoothly. I like the taste and health benefits of the raw honey, but I know it did take me a few times making it to get the 'trick' of stirring it to make it blend smoothly.

Also - be very very careful not to get water into your mix. Dry all utensils and cookpans etc thoroughly before using them, because water will make it mealy. It's edible, but not tasty.

You can also use coconut oil in place of cocoa butter, but I recommend the expense of the butter. I think it's better tasting, also the coconut oil chocolate will melt at room temperature so it melts in your fingers as you eat it.

It's really pretty easy. I probably put so much info in there to try and be helpful it made it sound scary. But I will often make some up as I am cooking dinner with the intent of having it for dessert. It really is easy and pretty quick.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A 100-calorie Klondike ice cream bar (Rick has some French vanilla ice cream in the freezer. I dearly love French vanilla-anything, so it was calling to me. When we went for groceries on Tuesday night, the Klondikes were on sale, so I bought a box. Problem solved!)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@rubysmama

Apparently one or two squares of bitter chocolate a day is very healthy, like red wine yuk.
I'm not a big fan of dark chocolate, and it seems to bother my tummy, so it's the cheaper and less healthy milk chocolate for me.

@rubysmama :
[recipe/directions snipped]
It's really pretty easy. I probably put so much info in there to try and be helpful it made it sound scary. But I will often make some up as I am cooking dinner with the intent of having it for dessert. It really is easy and pretty quick.
Sounds interesting and not too difficult. I actually have chocolate molds, as we've made chocolates with the wafers on occasion.  The chocolates do make nice gifts, and your truly home-made ones would be even better, I'm sure.  

I will have to try your recipe, however, I do wonder if your healthy chocolates will bother my tummy like store-bought dark chocolate does.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a big container of chunks of the chocolate they make caramilk with and a small chunk left of the chocolate Ferrero rocher is made with. It's so tempting not to just eat it all.

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A big bowl of oatmeal. Here I am with 3 glorious days off and day one- today, first thing had a appointment to get a tooth pulled, so I had 

oatmeal and likely a soft dinner, but not oatmeal. 

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, so far no pain or discomfort, hopefully tomorrow goes as well, I did go get my RX for Vicodin just in case, would

rather have it on hand if needed then to have to run out and get it. Thanks for the kind words.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I will have to try your recipe, however, I do wonder if your healthy chocolates will bother my tummy like store-bought dark chocolate does.
If milk chocolate doesn't b other you, but dark  chocolate does, my guess would be it's not the cocoa itself but something manufacturers are using in the chocolate. I had a sort of similar problem with shredded cheese, and discovered it's the anti-caking substance. But that's my ignorant assumption that barring allergies, added crap is usually to blame for sick rather than pure ingredients.

I know you can add milk and sugar to make actual milk chocolate, but I have never done so myself. I did find this for you though: http://gourmet.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Make_Chocolate_from_Scratch

The last thing I ate was a gluten free fig jammy and some raw yogurt cheese from a local farm. om nom nom

Status
Not open for further replies.