What's The Best Non Dust Cat Litter

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looking for your opinions, not articles.
This is for my cat's respiratory health as well as my own. I've developed allergies and I am wondering if her cat litter dust is causing me problems.
I've had cats all my life, and when the clumping litters came out that was great. I've used many brands and it seems like ones claim "low dust" or even no dust, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I used Dr. Elsleys for years and stopped because I found that the Target store brand was actually even lower dust at lower cost. Now they seem to have changed their formula and it's garbage and barely clumps. I am currently using the Tidy cat light weight and it seems OK but wondered what you all were using.
I've read Arm & Hammer is good but I can't find unscented. I only use non-scented. I scoop twice a day so odor control is not really a big issue with me.
My cat is an older cat and I don't want to switch her to something...strange.
Thanks!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve seen Tidy Cats litter at houses I’ve cat-sat for (I’m hesitant to try to change Charlie’s litter from the generic clay that he’s used to), but I liked the Tidy Cats. It’s easy to scoop, clumps well, and isn’t dusty.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Currently trying out Frisco (Chewy's brand) and it is less dusty that what we were using. We use scented but the unscented reviews are positive and seem to match our experience.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched to grass litter for my cat with respiratory disease and it is indeed the least dusty that I have ever had, and we used a lot of different kinds (all so called natural). The one I’m currently using is Petco sophresh unscented. It’s the same as Smart Cat but cheaper. They are pricey unfortunately. And not sure how grass litter would affect your allergy, but if it is dust that causes it, i found grass litters to be the best.
I was thinking about switching to clay litter which I was always reluctant to use but heard this is not good for cats with asthma so haven’t tried that yet.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't find a clay litter that is not so dusty so I'm using it in the living room. The bedrooms have yesterdays news and pine pellets both are easier on us breathing wise but if you have more serious allergies (whereas we just have irritation) than the pine might be too much.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We use "Yesterdays News" paper litter...very little dust IMO. But we remove the poop as soon as Andy goes. Some people leave the poop in there for quite a while and I'm not certain this product is for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your responses.
I just got a box of the light weight Arm & Hammer clump and seal and I completely dumped out her old litter and put this in. There was absolutely no dust. It looks weird though. Dark color. I hope she goes in it! I got it for the both of us. I normally gradually incorporate new stuff but the dust was just bad. I'm also wondering if this is why she always scratches around the box and not in the box, because she stirs up dust and she doesn't like it.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Scratching around the box means that she might not like something about the box and is very common if the cat feels the box is too small or too stinky. She might need a bigger box or something unscented.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any dust since switching to pine pellets.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any dust since switching to pine pellets.
I agree. What I like about the pine pellets and the yesterdays news is that they are non dusty. The particles break down but they are heavy particles that don't get into the air or cover nearby furniture with dust. The particles are easy to sweep up or vacuum if they get out of the litter box by tracking or kicking whereas clay litters (all of them imo) create a thin layer of dust over everything nearby- simply adding new litter to a box creates a cloud of dust.

I'd be using the recycled newspaper and pine in all my boxes if I didn't have one picky cat. I've also found that with multiple cats the paper litter can get stinky very fast so it becomes a daily full dumping situation. But for just one room in a box that only gets used by one cat or by cats only periodically it's fantastic.

GingerBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a fan of Chewy's Frisco litter, unscented. It doesn't seem dusty to me. IMO, it clumps better than Tidy Cat, and I rarely smell anything from it, so I can go a bit longer between full change outs. My 12 year old didn't have any issues with the switch.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be careful with pine litter if allergy is involved as pine is a strong allergen so it might not be a good idea in your situation. But then, what isn’t an allergen these days....

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Tidy Cats lightweight, the one that is 50% lighter than before. It’s clumping and I don’t see a lot of dust.

maxmeezu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am HUGE FAN of the Cat-illac litter box because it uses pellets (I use dried beans from the grocery store) with a tank reservoir for the liquid waste. It's super low maintenance, great for multiple cats, and I don't have to deal with litter tracking - which I can't stand. At worst I have to pick up the occasional bean they've scooted around. I think it's a really great option to eliminate allergies. Pair with the litter genie for your ultimate convenience.

It's low cost for upkeep as well, since you don't go through the substrate (dried beans or corn, or pellets) quickly, and it doesn't rely on disposable pads. Worth the investment.

If your cat has diarrhea, it doesn't work so well - otherwise it's perfect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Tidy Cats lightweight, the one that is 50% lighter than before. It’s clumping and I don’t see a lot of dust.
Thanks. That was our alternative and I'm going to have to go back to it because she HATES the Arm & Hammer stuff.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm using a combination of a clumping litter (I was using a&h but it sticks to his feet) of dr elseys, and littermaids walnut (at amazon and Walmart). The walnut absorbs the dust, and the elseys clumps so he's happy as am I :)