What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying to find a job in my field is getting quite annoying. I keep getting told my work is "impressive" yet they don't hire me because I "lack experience". Most of the entry level positions I've seen want 3 - 5 years right off the bat. I've even seen some asking for as high as 7 years of experience and for not even a senior level position... *sigh*

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying to find a job in my field is getting quite annoying. I keep getting told my work is "impressive" yet they don't hire me because I "lack experience". Most of the entry level positions I've seen want 3 - 5 years right off the bat. I've even seen some asking for as high as 7 years of experience and for not even a senior level position... *sigh*
What line of work is it?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a LOT of fields are like that right after college. It certainly was the case for me too. Can you do internships or anything? Every GOOD job I've had came because I knew someone. So I think figuring out how to meet people in the industry can help. Job searching is frustrating! My mother and I both worked in job training and placement for people with disabilities and yeah; it can be a challenge even when we had contacts with businesses. Hang in there! :hugs:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad; I ran into the same situation 50 years ago. Fresh out of college, after four years as a Hospital Corpsman before that, and all I was offered was a job as a glorified bedpan chaser. When in the service, I could- and had- given shots, started IVs, done minor surgery, stitched up wounds, and , because I was on independent duty, had to do diagnoses and treatments. But, back in the civilian world, I was told "that didn't count" as experience. It didn't help that veterans weren't looked on with favor back then. Eventually though, I did get a job; not in the field I wanted, but what I could get, and spent the next 40 years doing it. I just learned to adapt.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
N NY cat man And that is ABSURD! Spawn 1 was a combat medic in the military. He did six tours in the Middle East at one of the worst possible times. How short-sighted of hospitals to consider being able to function under fire, and save lives, negligible, and "not experience." In fact, it proves that you can survive the WORST that is thrown at you without going to pieces! BOY, did those guys you interviewed with miss the boat!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man And that is ABSURD! Spawn 1 was a combat medic in the military. He did six tours in the Middle East at one of the worst possible times. How short-sighted of hospitals to consider being able to function under fire, and save lives, negligible, and "not experience." In fact, it proves that you can survive the WORST that is thrown at you without going to pieces! BOY, did those guys you interviewed with miss the boat!
After my brief stint as a Navy Hospital Corpsman. I applied to a hospital in Omaha whom was offering a OJT program for Operating Room Tech. Since I hadn't had that prior training on active duty. I was denied admission to the program. Not happy with the Navy job prospects. I chose to switch jobs and employers.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't feel bad; I ran into the same situation 50 years ago. Fresh out of college, after four years as a Hospital Corpsman before that, and all I was offered was a job as a glorified bedpan chaser. When in the service, I could- and had- given shots, started IVs, done minor surgery, stitched up wounds, and , because I was on independent duty, had to do diagnoses and treatments. But, back in the civilian world, I was told "that didn't count" as experience. It didn't help that veterans weren't looked on with favor back then. Eventually though, I did get a job; not in the field I wanted, but what I could get, and spent the next 40 years doing it. I just learned to adapt.
"That doesn't count" is another way of saying "you're more qualified than we are and we don't want to be demoted or lose our jobs." Sad. Their loss IMO.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"That doesn't count" is another way of saying "you're more qualified than we are and we don't want to be demoted or lose our jobs." Sad. Their loss IMO.
It might have been that, or the anti-veteran situation of the times; at this point it no longer matters. I was gainfully employed for more than 40 years, and have been retired for 7, going on 8 years now. I just hope that the later groups of vets have it better than mine did.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH did not have trouble after leaving the military but he isn’t in a field completely related or requiring that kind of training and experience. My stepbrother is a medic but seems to be making a full career out of it as an officer. I believe his degree was completely unrelated. Video journalism or something like that. :dunno:

I never got a job with my degree either come to think of it. :rolleyes2: I did interview for a CAD drafting position with a facto; but I’m kind of glad that didn’t work out. I do wonder if it would have led me to different places though.

My mother got an Associates degree in what they used to call Nursery Education. She did use the degree; but not immediately. It was probably 8-9 years before she became a teachers assistant for a school for the deaf. Then she worked for a few other places serving people with various levels of disabilities before becoming a nanny and working at a daycare before a casual job digitizing records. She called it her semi-retirement job. Now she’s trying to come out of retirement to work. I guess sometimes career paths just aren’t straightforward. And some people can’t sit still. :rolleyes2: (0% surprised. I had to scold her earlier to wait for my stepdad to go investigate their crawl space because she found it open while we were on the phone. My aunt would have been in there before I finished speaking. :crazy::lol:)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After my brief stint as a Navy Hospital Corpsman. I applied to a hospital in Omaha whom was offering a OJT program for Operating Room Tech. Since I hadn't had that prior training on active duty. I was denied admission to the program. Not happy with the Navy job prospects. I chose to switch jobs and employers.
I don't know if you ever had sea duty or not; I did, on a DDG, where the 'medical department' consisted of an E-7 chief......and me. We had a couple attempted suicides, some episodes of guys having 'Nam flashbacks and basically going nuts, a couple of appendicitis cases while at sea, and a bunch of- ahem- social diseases after port calls. I applied to area hospitals after my discharge, but before going to school on the GI Bill, and the one that even responded was for an orderly. The same pattern occurred after graduation; they looked at my experience, they looked at my 3.79 GPA, and offered me jobs as an orderly, or as a coroner's assistant. That is, if they even offered a job at all.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you ever had sea duty or not; I did, on a DDG, where the 'medical department' consisted of an E-7 chief......and me. We had a couple attempted suicides, some episodes of guys having 'Nam flashbacks and basically going nuts, a couple of appendicitis cases while at sea, and a bunch of- ahem- social diseases after port calls. I applied to area hospitals after my discharge, but before going to school on the GI Bill, and the one that even responded was for an orderly. The same pattern occurred after graduation; they looked at my experience, they looked at my 3.79 GPA, and offered me jobs as an orderly, or as a coroner's assistant. That is, if they even offered a job at all.
My active Navy stint was at Naval Hospital Annapolis . There I worked several different jobs. From Ward Corpsman, General Services to Supply. I then spent 11 months as a weekend warrior at a Naval & Marine Corps Reserve Center Omaha. Before jumping ship so to speak and entering the U.S. Coast Guard.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Stories like yours are all to familiar and quite frankly,sickening. Y'all should've had the red carpet treatment and be the first pick for ANY position based on your experience ALONE and if you didn't have the paper credentials then do everything in their power to help you acquire them( programs,grants,continuing Ed etc) encouraging the guys who served to do so- with support

How sad a story it is,in my eyes......I would've loved an opportunity to GIVE back to those who have given so much to help so many..... what is wrong with people?

I met a guy a million years ago who was an army medic who served in Nam,he had issues for sure and suffered " socially"but boy did he love animals and wanted to work horses-I hired him at the horse ranch and we all helped him to get a grant to go to school( Vet tech) -do you know he got a job assisting one of the top Equine Vets at Aquaduct race track?I can't tell you how good he was at what he did,especially in emergencies- but I know exactly how it was back then,those guys were not treated well at all,no one wanted to hire the dear man,not even to muck out stalls!He knew more about medicine and first aid than anyone on hand.. people are so unkind,unfair and ungrateful

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stories like yours are all to familiar and quite frankly,sickening. Y'all should've had the red carpet treatment and be the first pick for ANY position based on your experience ALONE and if you didn't have the paper credentials then do everything in their power to help you acquire them( programs,grants,continuing Ed etc) encouraging the guys who served to do so- with support

How sad a story it is,in my eyes......I would've loved an opportunity to GIVE back to those who have given so much to help so many..... what is wrong with people?

I met a guy a million years ago who was an army medic who served in Nam,he had issues for sure and suffered " socially"but boy did he love animals and wanted to work horses-I hired him at the horse ranch and we all helped him to get a grant to go to school( Vet tech) -do you know he got a job assisting one of the top Equine Vets at Aquaduct race track?I can't tell you how good he was at what he did,especially in emergencies- but I know exactly how it was back then,those guys were not treated well at all,no one wanted to hire the dear man,not even to muck out stalls!He knew more about medicine and first aid than anyone on hand.. people are so unkind,unfair and ungrateful
Different times; different times.We came back- at least most of us- and made a life for ourselves- again, most of us did. Michele's brother, a year my junior, never really came all the way back, and had to deal with exposure to Agent Orange, to boot. Still, he made a life for himself, complete with wife and kids, and he is retired as well. You cope and survive, or you don't. I coped, so don't feel sorry for me, because I don't feel sorry for myself.

Last edited:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I look at life a little differently now then back when when I made the decision to leave the Navy behind. Had I extended my active duty as a Navy Hospital Corpsman would I have had the same opportunities on seeing the World ? Who can say? Life throws many curve balls. Some we can dodge others we can't. Making the best of the situation at hand is all we can do.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone ever found lawn services for the elderly? I know I've heard of such a thing but besides googling i'm not sure where to look or if people are finding it a good experience..

My FIL is in his mid 80s and SIL is trying to find someone. It sounds like he is in a bit of denial about needing help. Apparently he told her that when DH and I come visit for vacation this year DH is going to help him cut down some trees. That's news to us! :oops:

From things I've heard; they have reduced the benefits of staying active duty. Most of our friends from DH's active duty days are no longer enlisted and/or went ahead and retired at 20. One friend said it wasn't worth it anymore. And she's a military brat like I am. We met on a base school. It could depend on the career field too though. I'm not completely sure what all of them are doing post-military. One is working in some kind of veteran employment service near his hometown; which makes me think there is still a need to make sure veterans are transitioning into things ok.

My cousin's ex may still be active. It was a good opportunity for him; an inner city foster kid. He got on his feet (and so did she; even though they didn't go the distance). Last I knew has a new wife and several kids hes awfully proud of. :redheartpump: But it does sound like when you finish it isn't as easy for everyone. I think it just depends. But then a plenty of people are looking for better jobs all around; so that will also affect things.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my best doctors was a medic in Vietnam. He had seen a lot, been through H... and actually knew what he was talking about and how to treat it. He retired a few years back and man do I miss him.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never served but my father did, my grandfather did as did all my uncles. All off you deserve a lot more than you have been given. Every day I thank you in my heart for what you have done. I get to live free, make my own choices because of people like you. Thank-you hardly seems enough. But, thankyou for your service!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never served but my father did, my grandfather did as did all my uncles. All off you deserve a lot more than you have been given. Every day I thank you in my heart for what you have done. I get to live free, make my own choices because of people like you. Thank-you hardly seems enough. But, thankyou for your service!
My sentiments exactly and you're 100%right- " thank you" hardly seems enough

From the bottom of our hearts" thank you and God Bless you "to all who have served