What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You made me look up at my ceiling fans too. :crazy: I do dust those more regularly but I haven't had them on as much this summer. DH has wanted the air cooler than before so I haven't needed them as much. Sometimes I turn the air up and put those on when hes at work though.

We are having a lot of wind today. My sunflowers are starting to bloom and I added supports and more twine just yesterday. When I got up one of my double shepherds hooks was at about a 45 degree angle with 2 heavy pots of calibrachoa on it. We got heavy rain last night. I fixed it and a couple hours later they were leaning again! I had DS just go put my flowers on the patio until they dry out a little. We had a couple small branches come down while I was outside doing work. And one of the suckers on the maple tree almost slapped me in the face while I was cleaning the squirrel feeder. :lol: I was going to tell Dh to trim those already but the bluebirds were nesting and I didn't want to disturb them.

We've been dealing with moths in the garage so I spent some time outside going through a few totes that had birdseed and garden stuff in them. I condensed it down to 2 after tossing anything old or where I could see moths in it. I think we just had too much stuff packed in when we did the fumigation last year so it was hard to see what i really had. It should all be ok now. And we're running 2 kinds of traps. So hopefully they will be gone soon!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The tech at the company should have thought of this.
They reaIIy shouId have! The first thing my techs teII me is, "WeII, Iet's reboot your modem and go from there!"

A rather horrifying discovery this afternoon and a PSA about fans.
I have to osciIIating fans that run pretty much 24/7/365, except for bi-weekIy cIeaning. I'm aIways amazed at how much more air they move! AND, they are so easy to take apart and put back together!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They reaIIy shouId have! The first thing my techs teII me is, "WeII, Iet's reboot your modem and go from there!"

I have to osciIIating fans that run pretty much 24/7/365, except for bi-weekIy cIeaning. I'm aIways amazed at how much more air they move! AND, they are so easy to take apart and put back together!
I have a ceiling fan and the floor fan running - it’s just keeps the cool air circulating better. Now that the floor fan is clean it seems to be doing an even better job. My fan had these bitty screws so it was a little difficult to put back together but it’s still going to get cleaned regularly.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A rather horrifying discovery this afternoon and a PSA about fans. I have a floor fan that I run all summer long and I don’t know exactly how old it is but at least 15. As Willow jumped on the window bench this afternoon I saw some of her always shedding fur fly towards the fan. I guess I assumed any sucked in would blow right through but I thought I would turn the fan off and take a look. Eek, cat hair and lots of it hanging everywhere inside. I am embarrassed to say but in all the years I had this fan I never thought about taking it apart and cleaning it out and oh my, did it need it. Every moving part was caked with hair, dust and crud, truly disgusting. The fire danger and air quality issues! It is now thoroughly cleaned and repeating that every fall when I shut it off for the season is on my permanent to do list.
Not only fans, but computers.
I try to take mine apart (both fans and computers) and at the very least vacuum them out once a month ( I also oil/lube the fans). My ceiling fan I take a cloth and a bucket of hot water and wipe down twice a year.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had already done that 4 times before I called. Once when this happened I had to change the DNS but the tech wouldn't give me one to change it to. I got it another way and have it written down for next time that issue happens.

BTW, this site will not let you edit with a quote. If you don't do it initially, you have to make a new post.
Moderators, why is this?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have aIways done that before caIIing as weII....and they aIways say, "Iet's try it again." Dunno why, except I'm sure that they deaI with a good many idiots who don't know what "reboot the modem" means in the first pIace. But they DO ask, meaning that they have some cIue. I'II settIe for that.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got a kitty shaver on Amazon for $35! The reviews were good and there was a video of a customer shaving their cat that looked just like Maggie with the long hair, and the shaver plowed right through. Says it's washable too. No way was I paying $200!

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles --I tried those oil absorbing sheets you told me about. That was a disaster! I was expecting big sheets like a paper towel. But they were tiny! So I grabbed a bunch of them and was dropping them in the sink. I ended up throwing them away and just using a paper towel to blot a few times a day, like when I stop at mom's place when I'm out shopping.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took just J to the grocery store last night while my husband watched M. I don't think there was a single aisle we went down where I didn't hear "Mommy, I need this."

Mommy, I need cookies.

Mommy, I need cheese.

Mommy, I need stickers.

Husband gets both of them next time I go. :lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After an hour+ I have trapped drain flies,gnats,and/or fruit flies!!!!!!!!!
We just bought a trap thing with a fan and light because we got moths in the garage somehow. DH had to immediately order another set of the sticky part because he was getting so many! I usually do the mugs with vinegar traps for fruit flies but this thing is working well without the smell so I’m happy!

I cleaned out the totes that had my bird seeds and garden things yesterday. So hopefully now the source is gone! I dragged them outside so hopefully just doing that removed a bunch too. We’ve got sticky traps hanging all over too.
I took just J to the grocery store last night while my husband watched M. I don't think there was a single aisle we went down where I didn't hear "Mommy, I need this."

Mommy, I need cookies.

Mommy, I need cheese.

Mommy, I need stickers.

I think I used to tell my kids “it’s not on the list.” It worked before they could read at least. :lol:When they were little (but maybe closer to 4 or 5) someone told me to take pictures of things they asked for in the store so they could add them to their Christmas or birthday lists. It worked amazingly well! They stopped asking for everything and usually forgot what they asked for to begin with. :lol: It was just nice to have a way to respond while making them feel heard. But until that works; its like shopping with a parrot with no mute button. :lol: DS would say the most embarrassing things…loudly!! We did a lot of playing I Spy or finding something that starts with games but gosh id get so tired of speaking! :rolleyes2: (And thats how boobies became known as ankles in our household.:flail:)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Mommy, I need cookies.

Mommy, I need cheese.

Mommy, I need stickers.

DD did the same thing when she was little. In every aisle it was

"I like cookies"
"I like ice cream"
"I like tandy" (not candy. to her it was tandy.)
"I like chips"

and so on... 😂

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I was lucky. I didn't always take my son to the store with me, but when I did he rarely asked for anything. I tried to include him in my shopping decisions with things like "we need this, which one would you choose?" Even at 3 years he responded with full proper sentences. "I would prefer...." and stuff like that. If he did want cookies or something it was always "Mama, would you get those?" and point at what he would like to have.
How can I refuse when he asked like that?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cory was always a very social kid so he was much more interested in talking to every single person in the aisle (and the next aisle over if I didn’t keep ahold of him) than he ever was in what we were shopping for. Every woman got a “Hey, Lady!” or “Hi, Lady”, they they would come over and talk to him a minute so that it seemed to take forever to get through a crowded store”.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cory was always a very social kid so he was much more interested in talking to every single person in the aisle (and the next aisle over if I didn’t keep ahold of him) than he ever was in what we were shopping for. Every woman got a “Hey, Lady!” or “Hi, Lady”, they they would come over and talk to him a minute so that it seemed to take forever to get through a crowded store”.
J pretty much says hi to everyone she sees. She's extremely friendly.

I think she was following my lead with the whole "need" things, because I was saying things aloud as I looked at the list like "okay, next we need paper towels."

I did get her the first thing she "needed" the snack bag of mini oreos next to the animal crackers, and we ended up getting more grapes, raisins, and cheese, which I tend to have on hand at home anyway, but there were a lot of nos.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did get her the first thing she "needed" the snack bag of mini oreos next to the animal crackers, and we ended up getting more grapes, raisins, and cheese, which I tend to have on hand at home anyway, but there were a lot of nos.
Do you let her walk or does she ride? I would have lost my mind if DS was on foot at that age. He was just too excitable and distracted. One of my favorite memories though he must have been 4 and I turned around to find him instead of standing on the rail at the bottom of the cart he was folded over the side like a wet rag!
🥴 :dunno:

Some man saw him at the same time and just bust out laughing. We were both not sure how that didn’t hurt with those metal carts! Whatever he was fiddling with must have been a good enough distraction.

And that was far preferable to the time he managed to cover himself in scented body power when he bumped into a hanging rack with one on it with no lid!:paperbag:

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Work went great,deliveries on time.After work,met up with my son at the salon.He loves his long hair,had a couple permanent hair extensions put in and gave permission to have it done since he is 17.He loved the results.Plus the exchange student I am hosting,she had her hair done,a trim and likes it.I am happy my son and the exchange student I am hosting have a good friendship.

Status
Not open for further replies.