What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I dont understand why he wouldn’t be allowed to raise his bid then? The only reason to raise your bid is to outbid someone else.
:yeah:
Surely if he was the last person to place a bid he would have to pay the amount he bid. How did you know he was raising the bid for no reason A Acatlady1 ?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I have fallen down a rabbit hole of shanty songs

Drunken Sailor
Drunken Scotsman
Wellerman
Blow the Man Down
Black Velvet Band
The Unicorn Song
Spanish Ladies
Skye Boat (couple different versions/lyrics)
Leave Her Johnny (also varied lyrics)

I’ve heard many of these at various festivals over the years, but they were basically background to me.
Now I may end up learning several of them as part of a music/minstrel group.
I have a lot of homework to do 👀

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I have fallen down a rabbit hole of shanty songs

Drunken Sailor
Drunken Scotsman
Wellerman
Blow the Man Down
Black Velvet Band
The Unicorn Song
Spanish Ladies
Skye Boat (couple different versions/lyrics)
Leave Her Johnny (also varied lyrics)

I’ve heard many of these at various festivals over the years, but they were basically background to me.
Now I may end up learning several of them as part of a music/minstrel group.
I have a lot of homework to do 👀
I was thinking a few days ago that all the old songs we all knew and sang have seemed to disappear. Nice to see that some are still around (and stuck on people’s heads).

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking a few days ago that all the old songs we all knew and sang have seemed to disappear. Nice to see that some are still around (and stuck on people’s heads).
There seems to be a plethora of folk and shanty songs on youtube.
I also didn’t realize how many of these have been used in movies and tv.
Most people know the Skye Song used for Outlander, and I was aware that it was an adaptation; but I didn’t know the original lyrics were about the escape of Charles after the Jacobite uprising and the battle of Colladen. It fits the Outlander story even better knowing that (or the story fits the song?)

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today at 10 is the Hunger Games of sign up for Park District classes. I have the ones I want on my wishlist and my alarm set for 9:57 so I can sign into my account and be ready to go straight away.

May the odds be ever in my favor.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Today at 10 is the Hunger Games of sign up for Park District classes. I have the ones I want on my wishlist and my alarm set for 9:57 so I can sign into my account and be ready to go straight away.

May the odds be ever in my favor.
Good luck. I had to read your post twice because at first I thought you were trying to sign up for Hunger Games. Another swallow of coffee and I could both read and comprehend properly. What classes are you signing up for?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck. I had to read your post twice because at first I thought you were trying to sign up for Hunger Games. Another swallow of coffee and I could both read and comprehend properly. What classes are you signing up for?
Gymnastics and both summer sessions of Kid Rock. I got gymnastics and the second music session (waitlisted for the first, third on the wait list).

It is absolutely insane that my local park district classes (at least the more popular ones) literally fill up in less than five minutes.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Gymnastics and both summer sessions of Kid Rock. I got gymnastics and the second music session (waitlisted for the first, third on the wait list).

It is absolutely insane that my local park district classes (at least the more popular ones) literally fill up in less than five minutes.
wow! Yes, that does sound like a challenge but sounds like you did well.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
An interesting cat thing I have learned in the last couple days. After realizing that most of my cats’ blankets are pretty much ratty rags, I used fabric on hand, fleece and flannel, to make them new blankets. Given the choice between the two fabrics, they both seem to prefer flannel. Never really thought much about flannel as a bedding choice but I think that will be what I use from now on.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That’s what I read too. I’ll blame a busy day with less caffeine than usual! :crazy: I’m yawning those yawns that make your eyes water.

I have used some of my kids old receiving blankets for the cats sleeping spots. They wash so easily! I’ll have to ask my bestie if she has flannel scraps. DD just got an old small sewing machine from my stepsister.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Peace and quiet, finally. For about the last three hours I have had a Robin with an apparent mental health issue purposefully flying into my window over and over. The bang sounded like someone slapping the window with their fist about once a minute. I went out at least a dozen time and chased him off but he would come right back. Finally inspiration hit and now this yard ornament is keeping him away.
IMG_1466.jpeg

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Peace and quiet, finally. For about the last three hours I have had a Robin with an apparent mental health issue purposefully flying into my window over and over. The bang sounded like someone slapping the window with their fist about once a minute. I went out at least a dozen time and chased him off but he would come right back. Finally inspiration hit and now this yard ornament is keeping him away.
View attachment 449016
An update - the crazy bird figured out shortly after my post this was a fake bird and has been back to slamming the window every minute or two since then. This is at least five hours now and I don’t know where this creature gets the energy.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
An update - the crazy bird figured out shortly after my post this was a fake bird and has been back to slamming the window every minute or two since then. This is at least five hours now and I don’t know where this creature gets the energy.
It’s “the other Robin.“ This happens a lots w the males, staking out their territory and their dates. He thinks it’s another male robin. Taping white paper on the window helps, or rubbing a line of white soap. Otherwise, wait a couple weeks til the babies have hatched out and fledged.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s “the other Robin.“ This happens a lots w the males, staking out their territory and their dates. He thinks it’s another male robin. Taping white paper on the window helps, or rubbing a line of white soap. Otherwise, wait a couple weeks til the babies have hatched out and fledged.
Yes!, just figured that out and now have white plastic over the window. Not very attractive but better than listening to his thumping. 19 years in this house, same bush, and it never happened before. Fun to learn something new though.

Last edited:

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My life much happier,first date with the new guy in my was last night.He is a good man seeing me like any normal person with pituritary dwarfism.Loves my dreadlocks and childish voice.I love his sense of humor.He likes Frank's Red Hot sauce too and the song Surfin Bird.Plus he like pets,has met my cats and they were friendly to him

Status
Not open for further replies.