What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This thread is making me hungry this morning! :lol3:

We are having a freezer mystery meal. :lol3: It's either chili or chourico and peppers. I'll know once it thaws a little more.

sammythecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you'll be on masterchef, cooking unique cat dinners soon, meatless monday, tuna tuesday, fishy friday, 

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meat loaf. And I make it with a hardboiled egg in the middle. It's something my mother used to do and Paul loves the egg in the meatloaf.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had left over rotisserie chicken, slaw left from last night and fried corn left from Sunday. I love it when I don't have to cook.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Creamy tomato soup probably. Been sick and I don't really have an appetite.

Hopefully some authentic Philly cheesesteaks tomorrow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know. Rick isn't here this weekend and I've over-indulged all week this week, so I may just let dinner go tonight. Or just have a bowl of SmartPop popcorn for my dinner.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight is the day I planned for us to eat out. I kind of want to go to Buffalo Wild Wings.. I am not sure though how crowded it will be, I don't really like crowded restaurants. I have certain foods I am obsessed with and always crave them- buffalo wings with blue cheese is one of them.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tonight is the day I planned for us to eat out. I kind of want to go to Buffalo Wild Wings.. I am not sure though how crowded it will be, I don't really like crowded restaurants. I have certain foods I am obsessed with and always crave them- buffalo wings with blue cheese is one of them.
Love wings of any kind. Especially with blue cheese.

I took some ground beef out of the freezer last night and will make a big pot of vegetable soup. I'll have some of that for dinner tonight.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love wings of any kind. Especially with blue cheese.

I took some ground beef out of the freezer last night and will make a big pot of vegetable soup. I'll have some of that for dinner tonight.
Hi Pam. Could you share your vegetable soup recipe? I love making soup and need a good veggie one.

I'm making split-pea soup with chorizo sausage today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, really there isn't a recipe. I just throw a little of this and a little of that into the pot. Let me see:

Saute 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef (or turkey or cubes of sirloin steak) with a large, chopped onion and a couple of chopped celery stalks in a skillet. Drain well.

Throw that into a Dutch oven and add one 28-ounce can of chopped tomatoes.

Add an 8-ounce can of tomato sauce.

Throw in some dried basil, oregano, and parsley, one or two bay leaves, along with grated black pepper. You can add salt, too, if you want.....I don't.

Add peeled, chopped potatoes, green beans, sliced carrots, and shredded cabbage to the pan.

Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, until the potatoes are almost done.

Add frozen lima beans, corn, and peas to the mix and continue to simmer for 30 minutes or so.

Put into freezer containers, cool down, label and freeze.

This is really a way to clean my freezer out. I always have a ton of frozen vegetables on hand in the freezer and every so often I make vegetable soup. And then I just grab whatever I have in the freezer. Sometimes I'll add beef broth, too. Sometimes I add a little rice or barley (we love barley). It depends on what I have around. Sometimes I don't use meat, if I want a meatless soup....I'll use the broth, just not any meat (and then I always add pearled barley). Sometimes I throw in a can of tomato juice or V8. I can't give you exact amounts.....if I have 1/2 package of frozen peas, for example, I'll just throw them in.

I know....not much help! But it always tastes good and Rick never complains about it.

I finally got around to making split pea soup for Rick from our Easter ham yesterday; been meaning to do it all week and just never had time. (I ended up throwing the ham in the freezer bc I didn't get around to making the soup right away.) I do have a recipe that I use for split pea soup; it calls for both split peas and whole peas.....and bags of whole dried peas are starting to become more difficult to find around here. I bet yours is just delicious with that chorizo!

Last edited:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, really there isn't a recipe. I just throw a little of this and a little of that into the pot. Let me see:

Saute 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef (or turkey or cubes of sirloin steak) with a large, chopped onion and a couple of chopped celery stalks in a skillet. Drain well.

Throw that into a Dutch oven and add one 28-ounce can of chopped tomatoes.

Add an 8-ounce can of tomato sauce.

Throw in some dried basil, oregano, and parsley, one or two bay leaves, along with grated black pepper. You can add salt, too, if you want.....I don't.

Add peeled, chopped potatoes, green beans, sliced carrots, and shredded cabbage to the pan.

Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, until the potatoes are almost done.

Add frozen lima beans, corn, and peas to the mix and continue to simmer for 30 minutes or so.

Put into freezer containers, cool down, label and freeze.

This is really a way to clean my freezer out. I always have a ton of frozen vegetables on hand in the freezer and every so often I make vegetable soup. And then I just grab whatever I have in the freezer. Sometimes I'll add beef broth, too. Sometimes I add a little rice or barley (we love barley). It depends on what I have around. Sometimes I don't use meat, if I want a meatless soup....I'll use the broth, just not any meat (and then I always add pearled barley). Sometimes I throw in a can of tomato juice or V8. I can't give you exact amounts.....if I have 1/2 package of frozen peas, for example, I'll just throw them in.

I know....not much help! But it always tastes good and Rick never complains about it.

I finally got around to making split pea soup for Rick from our Easter ham yesterday; been meaning to do it all week and just never had time. (I ended up throwing the ham in the freezer bc I didn't get around to making the soup right away.) I do have a recipe that I use for split pea soup; it calls for both split peas and whole peas.....and bags of whole dried peas are starting to become more difficult to find around here. I bet yours is just delicious with that chorizo!
 That sounds delicious. I love those herbs. I like to cook the same way. Unless I'm baking, I like some creative freedom in the kitchen!

I'm definately on a soup kick lately. I made a Weight Watcher's tomato soup and loved it. I love lentil dal soup too. For the split-pea I use Ina Garten's recipe and add sauteed leeks, chorizo and fresh dill and thyme at the end. The peas take so long to cook I usually give them a head start in the crock pot. I add a little tabasco sauce to my bowl.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I made Salmon Florentine with baked cauliflower on the side..It was soo good and pretty light on carbs and calories..

Status
Not open for further replies.