What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm making a beef stew in 1 Crock-Pot, and beef chili in another (to freeze).  Crock-Pot-luck, anyone?  If we have the stew, I bought a loaf of crusty French bread to go with it; if the chili, I'll make plain quesadillas, and serve it all with sour cream.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just put the pork roast in the crock pot. Carnitas for dinner tonight. First time I've made this. I've decided to try cooking one new thing every week or two. We're in a rut and need to get out of it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting.
My Mom used to make that for us, and it was her traditional birthday cake for us! Yummmm...haven't hadit in years!
My friend's husband's absolute favorite dessert bar none is a chocolate cake with whipped peanut butter frosting, I make this quite a bit for him. This frosting is out of this world yummy! This is my FIL's favorite birthday cake, too, only with a white cake instead of chocolate. (I will also post in the Recipe Exchange.)

Whipped Peanut Butter Frosting

For the Thickener:

1 cup milk

1/4 cup flour

1/8 teaspoon salt

Before you even bake the cake, cook the above ingredients together until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and place plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the mixture, pressing down right onto the mixture. This will prevent the formation of "skin". Let cool. Go ahead and bake the cake of your choice and cool. (For a delicious chocolate cake, I recommend Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake, which can be found on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can.)

For the Frosting:

1 stick butter or margarine

1/2 cup Crisco

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup peanut butter

Blend butter, Crisco, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cooled thickener and the vanilla and beat well. Add the peanut butter and beat until fluffy.

Last edited:

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I made pasta alfredo really quick, with a loaf of Pillsbury bread. Simple dinner.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That frosting sounds delicious!

I think it is going to be kielbasa and sauerkraut tonight.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
An excellent question......

Someone had given me a mix to make tortilla soup, so it may be that.

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I accidently gave my entire family food poisoning once ,from a slow cooked pork roast ,in the electric skillet. It lasted for all of us a full week. That was the sickest we had ever been. Ruined our taste for pork! Hope you will feel better soon.

I

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are having breakfast for dinner tonight.  I am trying a new recipe for Fluffy Coconut Flour Pancakes (these are gluten and grain free), plus scrambled eggs, a veggie, and sugar-free bacon.  I think I'll make up a maple compound butter to use (this way I use just a teense of maple syrup in the butter but get all the flavor).

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to make Dandelion Green/Sundried Tomato pasta tonight! I got fresh dandelion greens as part of my organic order produce box today!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We went out to eat last night and brought home leftovers, so that will be dinner tonight. :)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We are having breakfast for dinner tonight.  I am trying a new recipe for Fluffy Coconut Flour Pancakes (these are gluten and grain free), plus scrambled eggs, a veggie, and sugar-free bacon.  I think I'll make up a maple compound butter to use (this way I use just a teense of maple syrup in the butter but get all the flavor).
I love breakfast for dinner. Those pancakes sound wonderful (Rick wouldn't eat them, though, as he doesn't like coconut. But I do!). How were they?

Rick is making meatloaf tonight. Probably with a large twice-baked sweet potato, split in half so we can share.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love breakfast for dinner. Those pancakes sound wonderful (Rick wouldn't eat them, though, as he doesn't like coconut. But I do!). How were they?

Rick is making meatloaf tonight. Probably with a large twice-baked sweet potato, split in half so we can share.
My husband loved them..I was okay with them but something is not sitting right and it's either the coconut flour or the coconut oil I used on my griddle.  I've noticed an issue in the past with one of the two..maybe it's both.  Sigh!  I *want* to be able to use them both! I can send you a link to the recipe if you'd like it for those times you have dinner alone and want to try them as a breakfast for dinner - for one ;-)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My husband loved them..I was okay with them but something is not sitting right and it's either the coconut flour or the coconut oil I used on my griddle.  I've noticed an issue in the past with one of the two..maybe it's both.  Sigh!  I *want* to be able to use them both! I can send you a link to the recipe if you'd like it for those times you have dinner alone and want to try them as a breakfast for dinner - for one ;-)
Yes, please.....I'd like to have it. Thanks! It's not the taste of coconut he doesn't like, it's the texture.....he says it's like eating grass. He doesn't mind the taste. I do have coconut oil, but not coconut flour.....where did you find it? (I don't think our natural foods store in town even has coconut flour)

Tequila-lime grilled shrimp is on our menu tonight.

ETA: I did a great meatloaf in the pressure cooker last night! We were so hungry for meatloaf, but I didn't feel like dealing with the oven and waiting 1-1/2 hours to eat. Rick was hungry.....now. So we got the PC out and I threw the meatloaf in there. We were eating dinner in 30 minutes from the time I made the meatloaf and put it in the PC (15 minutes on High, then a 10-minute release....it just doesn't get better than that). I had just barely enough time to make the twice-baked sweet potato and we were ready to eat. That thing is just amazing. Love my pressure cooker!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.