What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lunch was intended to be a ham and cheese sandwich. I was so excited, I actually broke down and bougjt a highly recommended artisan cheddar cheese! Well...never again. I ended up pulling the cheese out of the sandwich, and tossing the entire block in the trash. It was crumbly, and dry, and tasted "cardboardy." NOT what I was expecting in the least! Dinner will be pizza rolls.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Now, I am craving my mom's potato salad. Mine never comes out as good as hers... sigh
artiemom artiemom Been there. I have tried and tried and tried. My potato salad (and macaroni salad, for that matter) does not taste like my mother's. Hers was just so....dang good. It could be anything: the potatoes, the type of mayo or mustard, the type of pickle relish she used. I haven't a clue. I finally said to myself, "Self? You make a good potato salad. Let it go, for crying out loud!" I did make potato salad a couple times when Mom was here for dinner. She asked me how I made it and said that it was good. And that's as good as it's going to get. I do have her recipe, but it's just not the same.

The turkey breast was really good last night. It was too big for the NFG (almost 8 pounds), so I halved the thing and placed them side-by-side in the NFG. (I also threw together some Amish Potato Stuffing, which is so good even by itself.) Brined it first, then dried it, gave it a couple spritzes of avocado spray, and then use a combo of Montreal Chicken (McCormick) seasoning and Rocky Mountain (Penzey) seasoning to give it a good rub. Butter slathered under the skin and a quartered onion in the cavity. I know you're not supposed to eat the skin, but dang! Good stuff! I sneaked a couple bites while Dear Richard wasn't looking. I took it to 158 degrees, then turned the NFG off and let it rest to 165 (Poultry on my thermometer). The bones, some onion, carrots, and celery made a decent broth for tonight's dinner.

Which will be a turkey pie in the NFG. I have a wee bit of gravy leftover from last night, but will make more from the broth for the pie. Some pickled cabbage to go with. And leftover apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Rick is looking forward to the turkey pie more so than he did the meal last night!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A scorcher again today,so meatloaf sandwiches for dinner it will be.I sliced some cucumber for me and a sliced tomato for him.Had a craving for my oriental soup,so made a pot of it,had a bit for lunch and stuck the rest in the fridge.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday: not feeling all that well, after spending 2 hours outside, in the heat, playing bocce. I was having asthma issues, and heat related issues. I ended up lying down, after a shower, all day. Geoffrey was so sweet. He was cuddling with me, trying to make me feel better---purring.. so sweet.. for a kitty who had chemo the same day, he wanted to be my nurse... sweet boy..

My supper was easy: a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich, with a few peanut M&Ms.... That was it.

Tonight, I have to finish my burger, which I made. I also have broccoli and an ear of corn. We will see, how I feel.
Getting hair cut today.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure where I left off so will just mention dinner tonight -the last of the homemade falafel from the farmer's market with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots for me. DH is having a turkey burger sandwich with swiss cheese and a baked potato. We picked up cappuccino gelato at the store today so that will be dessert.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Plain or peanut? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol: When I was at the store today I was next to the candy in the checkout line. I saw M&M's and was so tempted to buy them.
Peanut is the ONLY M&M's as far as I am concerned.

Today, another scorcher.. meaning another sandwich.. I did pick up some German potato salad. I may have that with it.. a small sandwich... I wanted Cole slaw, but they did not make any. Yes, they make their own salads. It is an Italian Deli/produce store.. An old fashioned kind of "little Italy" type of store. Walking in, you immediately smell the cheese, deli meats.. so good.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Peanut is the ONLY M&M's as far as I am concerned.
artiemom artiemom Yepper!

I am leaning toward mac and cheese done in the NFG, not in the oven. He could eat mac and cheese every day and be a happy camper.

Although lizzie lizzie has me drooling now for fried chicken!

Status
Not open for further replies.