What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH...a VERY kind friend is sending me a wonderful bar stool, with a nice, comfy, wide seat, just the right height for my counter and stove, so I'll be able to cook again in the foreseeable future! :woohoo:
Oh, that's great news! I'm so happy you'll soon be able to eat something better than frozen dinners. 🤗

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, yeah, I wonder if the aide was confused because none of these have chicken broth:
Tomato Soup - WebstaurantStore

It seems like an odd addition to tomato soup! But who knows, maybe their supplier does add chicken broth.
I checked a few recipes for tomato soup on line. Some of them had chicken broth listed as an ingredient. I had their tomato soup twice before and was told both times that there was no chicken broth in the tomato soup. I'm going to ask the dietition next time I see her.
Even the server was surprised that their tomato soup had chicken broth.

Last night all they had on the menu for me to eat was pickled beets and canned peaches. I ordered a side salad and the beets. They just gave me a tiny amout of beets and I mixed them in with the salad. The salad just had lettuce and a tiny amout of shredded cheese.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even the server was surprised that their tomato soup had chicken broth.
I was thinking about that and I wonder if maybe they use chicken broth instead of water to dilute condensed soups, in order to get extra protein/nutrition into the residents. Which sounds ok on paper but certainly doesn't accommodate vegetarians.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to a mom's night out with some Stroller Strides people at this Italian restaurant. Made my own pasta with farfalle, aglio and olio, artichoke and crab meat. Told the waitress I have a dairy allergy. She wrote it down. My dish came absolutely smothered in grated cheese, lol. (They did make me a new one).

I can't wait until I can have dairy again.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
IIRC, the recipe that I used the last time for tomato soup for Dear Richard had chicken broth in it. He said it was really good. I don't like tomato soup at all, so I didn't have any.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 When I fractured my tibia, I cooked using a bar stool. It was only a little uncomfortable at times, basically trying to reach things. But it wasn't too bad. And I was able to zoom around the kitchen with it. Rick said I "drove" my bar stool the same way I drive my car. (He's a snot!)

I cut out a pork roast, flattened the thing out, pounded the heck out of it, spread boiled cider on it, then filled it with apples and onions. Rolled it up, tied it, and brushed more boiled cider. Added some garlic powder, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Poured apple cider (not boiled) into the roasting pan and have been basting the roast with the cider. The house smells heavenly. Some potatoes and butternut squash and we'll have dinner in another 45 minutes or so. Dessert is peach pie with a scoop (or three) of vanilla ice cream.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday they actually had spinach spaghetti with no meat. Last night they had cheese ravioli. I thought I died and went to heaven. Tonight they are having canned peaches and a baked roll for the side dishes. Side dishes is usally all I get to order from.
I'll skip tonights dinner and eat the cheese ravioll I got last night. I did not eat it last night because I ate a side saled and some carrots and could not eat the ravioll.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Last night was a large sweet potato, slices of zucchini with hummus and a honeycrisp apple. That was all I was in the mood for but since I'm planning to go shopping at Trader Joe's today I'm sure I'll get inspired for something better tonight.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday, while looking for teaberries, we bought hoagies at a local Mennonite grocery store. They were originally for a late lunch, but they were quite filling and we didn't want anything for dinner. They were some of the best hoagies we've had for a while; if we lived closer, I could see us doing some shopping at that store.

So tonight will be leftover pork roast with leftover gravy. And I'm going to sauté green beans with Tuscan Seasoning (Penzey) to go with. Nothing exotic, but it will be good.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I can't edit my original post (too much time has gone by), so I'm adding this. Rick is in the garden, digging sweet potatoes. Instead of green beans, we're having fresh sweet potatoes with our pork! Mmmmm!

Status
Not open for further replies.