What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess things have changed since I was young. My parents didn't bother with a transition from pureed baby food to solid food. Or maybe it was a cultural thing. We'd just get a spoonful of solid food stuffed into our mouths to gum on and hopefully not choke on. Rice, bits of meat and veggies, and ethnic foods were common. Nothing bland or kid-friendly either. My parents cooked with lots of salt and strong spices and herbs and sauces. If we didn't like the taste of whatever was stuffed into our mouths, well, too bad. That was all we got to eat.

Leftovers for dinner tonight. Not sure about tomorrow. Maybe a grilled cheese sandwich.
Oh, I'm skipping purées! She's only had breastmilk so far. That's what BLW is - only solids, no purées. It sounds a lot like what your parents did, except for the stuffing in the mouth part. You're just supposed to put it down and the baby can decide how much they want. It's supposed to help teach them not to overeat and know when they're full. I'd planned to do multiple foods and will probably add spices soon, but since we know she's had a few intolerances through my milk, I'm starting out a bit slow.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight we had pulled pork sandwiches on toasted ciabatta rolls, with thin sliced red onion for crunch, and corn on the cob. "Foreign" corn, probably from Georgia or something. Butter and sugar (yellow and white kernels.) Nice, but I'm still eager for local. I had mint chocolate chip ice cream (not very minty) and Himself had a chocolate chip cookies. Lovely meal.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Electric stoves take longer to come up to heat AND they cycle off and on in their attempts to control the heat. If I could afford it, I would dearly love to have a dual-fuel range. Gas stove with an electric oven. Out of my price range, unfortunately. But maybe someday.....although I'm not holding my breath.

Rick made amazing omelets last night. Ham, peppers, and cheese. Light and fluffy and so good. Guess who's making the omelets from here on out? *grin* Yeah, they were good.

Probably call for take out pizza tonight. Or a frozen pizza.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made this salad.

Someone was offered avocado, but only touched it a bit and I don't think got any in her mouth. Maybe I should have left the skin on so it was easier to hold, but I'll offer it again at lunch tomorrow and see if she wants to explore a bit more.
View attachment 386352
:lol:she hasnt discovered how much fun things will be once food is squeezed in her lil hands to squish out between her lil fingers:flail:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken, zucchini, mashed potatoes, salad, cantaloupe.

We tried avocado with baby J again and she played with it and got it on her fingers and actually tasted it! I think she liked it, but she was a little unsure and made some great expressions.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight it was tuna salad wraps - canned tuna, diced celery, diced red pepper, sliced black olives. Coleslaw dressing instead of mayonnaise to bind everything together. Heated burrito size tortillas in dry cast iron frying pan, piled on tuna salad and some shredded iceberg lettuce, and rolled it up. And that was dinner.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
food is squeezed in her lil hands to squish out between her lil fingers
Ewww! I wonder what kind of mom I would have been? Use your spoon please! :lol:

actually tasted it! I think she liked it, but she was a little unsure and made some great expressions.
That sounds so exciting! I can just picture the scene in my mind. :)

I did that once when Walmart gave me a free snack pack in a little packet. It was yummy. :yummy: I love those little gift bags.

I was thinking of having some mac & cheese tonight with a bag of mixed veggies. Probably the peas, carrots, green beans, corn mix.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewww! I wonder what kind of mom I would have been? Use your spoon please! :lol:
Part of the idea of what I'm doing is that new foods are supposed to be less scary when a baby has a chance to explore/play with them instead of it just being spooned into their mouths and will hopefully lead to J being less picky than I was/am. A little mess along the way will be worth it and she'll eventually want to hold/use utensils.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I could afford it, I would dearly love to have a dual-fuel range. Gas stove with an electric oven. Out of my price range, unfortunately. I'd love dual ranges.
Oh, me, too! But what I really want is a gas stove top with dual built-in electric ovens that don't require me to either bend too low OR tippy-toe! I'm sick of doing the Hot Oven Shuffle every holiday! Be nice to get everything in at the proper temps and ready at the same time!

Ummm....I think that ship has sailed. Cat Mom only. :lol:
Having done both, I highly recommend cats. Don't get me wrong...I would not take all the money in the world for either of my sons, nor would I give you a squashed penny for another just like either one of them. I am not, nor have I ever been, an overly-maternal person, and was pretty much bullied into the two I have by my mom and my ex. That they have turned into wonderful, talented, honorable, gentle men is a testament to them, not to me.

Supper tonight will be, of course, one of my Healthy Choice meals. Something beef, since I had chicken last night. It wasn't bad. Sweet and sour...the breading was kinda limp, but that's what happens in the microwave. The flavor was certainly acceptable.

I've been a bit anxious about the amount of sodium in my frozen meals, and consulted my primary care doctor. Told him I was getting between 1450-1750 mgs a day, and he said that is towards the lower end of the maximum recommended amount (1500-2000 mg per day), and is fine while I'm still unable to manage prep work for actual cooking, so that's good!

Lunch today will be one of my open-faced hot sandwiches, ham and Swiss on a piece of DKB Whole Grain bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.