What's for dinner? - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
i had hot dogs and beans last night..

Tonight, I am not sure. Maybe a Greek Salad (feta and pita pocket bread) 

It is grocery shopping after a doctors appointment. I usually do not feel like cooking after driving into Boston and then going grocery shopping at the local store. This store  is always mobbed. Then I have to pick up a new prescription at the pharmacy, a different store in a different part of the city.

I can pick up a Greek Salad on the way home. Have not had that for a while. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I saw, I scrounged, and I heated up. 
 There was a quart of chili in the freezer. I heated that in the microwave and then wrapped a couple of those sourdough rolls from the freezer in paper towels and heated them as well. Rick loved it....he's a big chili-hound.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pot roasted haunch of venison braised with parsnips, carrots, little pearl onions, and hash brown potatoes on the side. Chocolate chip cookie for dessert.

Mr Poe and Domino came running when I was trimming a little silverside off the venison before browning it - they both are avid, eager eaters for venison.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, I had a bagel instead of the Greek salad. I decided to take a trip to a bakery which is over 100 years old. it was the first one in this area to make bagels! That was all it made for many, many years. Now they have branched out and make a few other things, depending on what the current owner feels like. It is a family owned business, and is in the original building. Fresh bagels daily. 

They are know to be the originators of Pizza Bagels. They cut a bit of the top of a plain bagel off and add tomato sauce, cheese. It is so good. Also place a hot dog and wrapped the bagel dough around it. So good! 

They also make; babka (cinnamon bread), sometimes eclairs, whoopee pies, tiny apple pies, bagel chips for teething babies. They have the best cream cheese! 

I had to splurge and get 6 bagels and a small cream cheese. I got 2 onion, 2 cinnamon raisin, 2 egg bagels. The pizza bagels and rest of stuff were sold out by the time I got there at 1:30pm.

My dad used to always go there for bagels. They were the only ones he would eat. If he went in when the tiny store was closed, he just walked into the bakery area and asked for bagels. They always accommodated people. You could see them being made!  It is a family recipe handed down from Europe, generations ago. 

I always have a few in the freezer, but nothing like warm, fresh bagels right out of the oven. I was a pig and had 2 of them!! If let so bloated and overly full after..

I think it is the Greek Salad for tonight. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Pot roasted haunch of venison braised with parsnips, carrots, little pearl onions, and hash brown potatoes on the side. Chocolate chip cookie for dessert.

Mr Poe and Domino came running when I was trimming a little silverside off the venison before browning it - they both are avid, eager eaters for venison.
Yum 
 I like venison, too.

I took a boneless, skinless chicken breast out of the freezer last night, but haven't decided what I'm going to make with it yet. It's big enough for both of us. With whatever I'm doing with the chicken, we will have fresh cauliflower.....as soon as I figure out what I want to make with that. It's already one of those days. 

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will either have spaghetti and meatballs or ham and scalloped potatoes. Depending on what I feel like making. Probably spaghetti because I like cheese in my scalloped potatoes and I ran out of cheese.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are two versions of goulash, at least around here. One is Hungarian Goulash, with beef chunks, lots of paprika, tomatoes (with some recipes, but not all) and sour cream, Here, we usually have it over noodles and I usually throw some sliced mushrooms and red wine into the mix, too. I like to really crust the beef chunks with my seasoning before browning them.

The other version is made with ground beef, elbow macaroni, tomatoes, cheese, and seasonings (sauteed onions, green peppers, basil, oregano, etc.). My sister makes a mean ground beef goulash; it's delicious.

What's in goulash? My dad made something when I was a kid that he called goulash but I don't think it actually was.

I would love some turkey soup. I make it with veggies, rice and tomato juice. Yum! Too bad I can't eat anything turkey (not even stuffing or gravy) while nursing Hudson. :(
We have a different version. Goulash is delicious. We use elbow macaroni, tomato sauce, ketchup, corn, brown sugar, black pepper, chili powder...ends up this sweet and spicy, hot, delicious dish.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see a trip to Taco Bell on the horizon. 

DD is coming home for the weekend so I'm going to pick her up after work. She doesn't get out of class until around 8:45. I have to go the gas station on the way home and then go feed the kids and walk the dog. 
We have a different version. Goulash is delicious. We use elbow macaroni, tomato sauce, ketchup, corn, brown sugar, black pepper, chili powder...ends up this sweet and spicy, hot, delicious dish.
I think that the version you are referring to (and the non Hungarian one @Winchester  mentioned) is called American Goulash. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_goulash

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I see a trip to Taco Bell on the horizon. 

DD is coming home for the weekend so I'm going to pick her up after work. She doesn't get out of class until around 8:45. I have to go the gas station on the way home and then go feed the kids and walk the dog. 
I think that the version you are referring to (and the non Hungarian one @Winchester
 mentioned) is called American Goulash. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_goulash
Nope...ours is straight from Germany!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Made One Pot Chicken and Brown Rice on Monday
It was in an Every Day Food cookbook I had checked out of the library. I later found the same recipe on the Martha Stewart Living web site. Looks like all the recipes in the book were pulled right off the MSL web site
Anyways, I made a few changes to the recipe based on what I had on hand. A very long 1 hr 15 minutes later I had a yummy dinner
I used 5 chicken thighs so that's dinner for the entire week
I'm a "cook once and either eat it all week or freeze the extras" type of person.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I decided on a chicken stir-fry using my chicken breast. I used a sauce (allrecipes.com) that was for a recipe for Sweet, Sticky and Spicy Chicken and then added onions, peppers, and broccoli to the mix. I used sriracha in the sauce instead of the hot sauce. And served the whole thing over some brown rice. It was quite good. Fairly quick, too, other than waiting on the brown rice to cook.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baked herbed chicken leg quarters with mashed taters mixed with mashed butternut squash, garlic green beans and rolls.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, I had a bagel instead of the Greek salad. I decided to take a trip to a bakery which is over 100 years old. it was the first one in this area to make bagels! That was all it made for many, many years. Now they have branched out and make a few other things, depending on what the current owner feels like. It is a family owned business, and is in the original building. Fresh bagels daily. 

They are know to be the originators of Pizza Bagels. They cut a bit of the top of a plain bagel off and add tomato sauce, cheese. It is so good. Also place a hot dog and wrapped the bagel dough around it. So good! 

They also make; babka (cinnamon bread), sometimes eclairs, whoopee pies, tiny apple pies, bagel chips for teething babies. They have the best cream cheese! 

I had to splurge and get 6 bagels and a small cream cheese. I got 2 onion, 2 cinnamon raisin, 2 egg bagels. The pizza bagels and rest of stuff were sold out by the time I got there at 1:30pm.

My dad used to always go there for bagels. They were the only ones he would eat. If he went in when the tiny store was closed, he just walked into the bakery area and asked for bagels. They always accommodated people. You could see them being made!  It is a family recipe handed down from Europe, generations ago. 

I always have a few in the freezer, but nothing like warm, fresh bagels right out of the oven. I was a pig and had 2 of them!! If let so bloated and overly full after..

I think it is the Greek Salad for tonight. 
Is it a Jewish shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.