What Would You do with This Cat? Help???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it's a Ragdoll thing. My mom also has a Ragdoll who was de-clawed by a former owner and won't use a litterbox. So far she's just cleaning it up all the time but I think she'll get sick of it eventually. Maybe a Ragdoll rescue would have some idea? If it's common in Ragdolls (perhaps because Ragdolls are already somewhat passive, maybe if they get de-clawed they become extra anxious?) maybe they've dealt with it before.

Anyway, yes, try the other anti-anxiety meds. Sometimes you have to try a few to find one that works.

Nope not a Ragdoll thing in my opinion. I've had 8 Ragdolls and only 1 (him) have done this. I'll ask a rescue to see what they say. :)

Last edited:

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it's a Ragdoll thing. My mom also has a Ragdoll who was de-clawed by a former owner and won't use a litterbox. So far she's just cleaning it up all the time but I think she'll get sick of it eventually. Maybe a Ragdoll rescue would have some idea? If it's common in Ragdolls (perhaps because Ragdolls are already somewhat passive, maybe if they get de-clawed they become extra anxious?) maybe they've dealt with it before.

Anyway, yes, try the other anti-anxiety meds. Sometimes you have to try a few to find one that works.
You mention Valium and calming medications, but has he been put on any pain medications? Buprenex and/or Gabapentin? Honestly, it sounds like he might benefit from both. One is a true pain medication, the other is for nerve pain.

I know Swheat Scoop litter has been suggested and used with good results. It's I wif the softest litters around. HOWEVER, my thoughts are that the behavior is a result of pain and, without proper pain management, the behavior will continue.

He would need to be on pain meds for a good 3-7 days before introducing a new litter. Otherwise, the pain will still be there and he will again associate the litter/box with pain.

Thanks!! No, he's never been on pain medication except after his neuter and declaw. I'll ask my vet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope not a Ragdoll thing in my opinion. I've had 8 Ragdolls and only 1 (him) have done this. I'll ask a rescue to see what they say. :)
Yeah but were they de-clawed too? I think the combination (Ragdoll/de-claw) may be a particularly bad one. I mean, yeah, the 2 de-clawed cats (regular moggies) I have are also kind of sketchy on litterbox use but at least they use the puppy pads. I've never seen a cat quite so determined not to go where the humans want her to go as my mom's Ragdoll :lol3:.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's been doing this since he was 2 years old, because of this he has always been confined, but I am in there a lot and he's lying by my feet as I type this.

Nope...never tried to take him for walks. I have done that with my previous cats and they loved it.
Maybe try walks then.

Has he been peeing the whole time you've had him?

Last edited:

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah but were they de-clawed too? I think the combination (Ragdoll/de-claw) may be a particularly bad one. I mean, yeah, the 2 de-clawed cats (regular moggies) I have are also kind of sketchy on litterbox use but at least they use the puppy pads. I've never seen a cat quite so determined not to go where the humans want her to go as my mom's Ragdoll :lol3:.

Yes and no. 3 out of 8 were declawed. Him and my female are (they're not related) female has always been a perfect litter box user. I use to own her brother, but he's dead now :( He was a good user too. So yeah, just Baloo. :(

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very cool. Is that one you built???
No, it's just picture.  I have screened in back porch about the same size. One cat and all his stuff (including litterbox) is on that porch.  He stays there when we are at work or gone.  Gets to come in the house when we are home if he wants.  He will go to the door if he needs to use his litterbox.   He doesn't mind being out there, and knows that porch is his.  Your cat may not run to the door wanting out, but, after a few days out there he won't mind. 

I have built an enclosure though.  It was about twice that size, to re-hab a bobcat kitten.  Total cost was $350.  And it was very well built, looked nice (still does). 
Considering what you've spent, $350 to solve the problem for good seems like a bargain to me.
Your cat won't mind. Might even prefer it.  And, you can bring him in for supervised visits any time you want. 
And/or make a little patio area in it, add a hanging swing, etc....you can relax/enjoy the outdoors and your cat will be there too.

Last edited:

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, it's just picture.  I have screened in back porch about the same size. One cat and all his stuff (including litterbox) is on that porch.  He stays there when we are at work or gone.  Gets to come in the house when we are home if he wants.  He will go to the door if he needs to use his litterbox.   He doesn't mind being out there, and knows that porch is his.  Your cat may not run to the door wanting out, but, after a few days out there he won't mind. 

I have built an enclosure though.  It was about twice that size, to re-hab a bobcat kitten.  Total cost was $350.  And it was very well built, looked nice (still does). 

Considering what you've spent, $350 to solve the problem for good seems like a bargain to me.

Your cat won't mind. Might even prefer it.  And, you can bring him in for supervised visits any time you want. 

And/or make a little patio area in it, add a hanging swing, etc....you can relax/enjoy the outdoors and your cat will be there too.

Unfortunately, I don't have $350 right now for him. :( Maybe when I have more money I'll build him something. Thank you for the suggestion though.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you lived anywhere near here, I'd be glad to take her and see if I could cure her like I did the last one that came with that problem.  I've sent you a PM about that in more detail.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you lived anywhere near here, I'd be glad to take her and see if I could cure her like I did the last one that came with that problem.  I've sent you a PM about that in more detail.

I live in Florida. I really don't want to give him up. I love him so much :( . But I am open to any and all suggestions. Thank you. I'll read your PM.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
several people here have had good luck with prozac.

but you also might try a different vet. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did you decide to do about your boy? I saw in another thread that you were talking about 5 girls.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I came home one night late from work and I saw him lying in a weird position on the floor, looking closer I found blood all over his tail and hind legs. I rushed him to my vet and paid for all types of medical care. He (my vet) said he endured a urinary blockage while I was at work earlier that day. The vet was going to preform a surgery to remove the stones that he could not pass, but the vet said at this point it would only have a 30% success rate and he'd need to be on drugs that are likely to cause liver failure later on. Surgery estimate was $4,300. I could not afford that right then, especially with only a 30% success. After much consideration and weighing my two options and (unfortunately) my money's worth too, I had Baloo put to sleep. I understand that this may not of been what others have done, but when your cat is so sick and you can not afford $4,300 start up cost. There is a limit to everything and sadly I was too financially.

Baloo is no longer suffering and is at peace. I had him privately cremated and I have his ashes on my bookcase with Nico and Renato (past Ragdolls, that were put to sleep because of genetic heart problems). He has a name plaque of his name (Baloo) in a pretty wood polished urn box.

I miss Baloo. Rest in peace. :(

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
@oldgloryrags88   I am so very sorry for your loss.  Poor feller may have been having those issues all along.  Bless him, may he RIP.

I do understand having to make that choice--I have been there before and had to decline treatment, and like in your case, they gave me a very poor chance of a good outcome, and so that helps me feel I made the right choice regardless of finances.  I also--somehow--just knew in my heart that he didn't want to hurt anymore, and just knew I was doing the right thing.  It was a feeling, and I've learned to go with my gut.

Sadly, my cousin just went through this with her poor kitty and he did have surgery, somewhere to the tune of $5k, and he still didn't make it.  He came home and had complication after complication, and was in pain.  She cried and cried because she believed she just prolonged his suffering.  So either way, sometimes, it just isn't a good outcome.  Your decision put him at peace and he is now pain free. 

HUGS to you!! 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I came home one night late from work and I saw him lying in a weird position on the floor, looking closer I found blood all over his tail and hind legs. I rushed him to my vet and paid for all types of medical care. He (my vet) said he endured a urinary blockage while I was at work earlier that day. The vet was going to preform a surgery to remove the stones that he could not pass, but the vet said at this point it would only have a 30% success rate and he'd need to be on drugs that are likely to cause liver failure later on. Surgery estimate was $4,300. I could not afford that right then, especially with only a 30% success. After much consideration and weighing my two options and (unfortunately) my money's worth too, I had Baloo put to sleep. I understand that this may not of been what others have done, but when your cat is so sick and you can not afford $4,300 start up cost. There is a limit to everything and sadly I was too financially.

Baloo is no longer suffering and is at peace. I had him privately cremated and I have his ashes on my bookcase with Nico and Renato (past Ragdolls, that were put to sleep because of genetic heart problems). He has a name plaque of his name (Baloo) in a pretty wood polished urn box.

I miss Baloo. Rest in peace.
I'm so sorry to hear that. You made the best decision you could considering all the circumstances. 

RIP little Baloo. You will always be loved and never forgotten. 

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for your kind words, but please don't feel sorry for me or Baloo. We had 1 wonderful year together and I had a minute to say goodbye, not everyone in life gets a minute to say goodbye. Our time together was most definitely cut short, but better a great 1 year than none at all. Smile when you think of him. :)

Last edited: