What Would You do with This Cat? Help???

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay long story but I will try to make it as short as possible.

I have a cat (a CFA purebred Ragdoll) and he is neutered and had his front paws declawed by his previous owner. He is 5 years old and I know his exact date of birth - 5-26-2011. He has been living with me for almost 1 year. When I got him, his owner was up front with me about his issue of peeing outside of his litter box. I still took him thinking I could fix it.

He has been to 3 different vets. All of them ran tests and diagnosed bladder crystals and a urinary track infection, I got antibiotics but they kept reoccuring to the point that he is now on a RX urinary food (Science Diet C/D) canned food only, he has been on valium and I tried using the Cat's Attract litter which did nothing, his litter box is absolutely clean, I scoop 3 times a day, he has 2 large litter boxes with clumping unscented litter, low dust, no litter box liner and no litter mat. I have rehomed him twice and was very upfront about his issues, they both returned him to me (these people had no other cats) and I've tried nature's miracle, it did not work, I've tried calming collars and fliway (spelling?), multi cat household and only cat, with dogs and without, scented litter, unscented litter, crystal, natural, clumping, no clumping, large litter box, puppy training pads, little litter box, 1 litter box, 2+ litter boxes, etc. Nothing. Is. Working.

The vets believe that this is behavioral (which explains the valium). I feel like I need valium now as my anxiety, depression, and frustration levels are through the roof. He has done this since he was 2 years old. He can not be a outside cat as he is a Ragdoll (low fighting instinct) and he is front paws declawed by his first owner.

I am strongly considering euthanization. Yes, I know what that does. I am not against euthanizing. I have truly tried everything in my will power to fix him. He has peed on my bed to the point that he is repeating it and I no longer want to sleep in it ( it is awful and I feel like I am sleeping in one big litter box). My bed stinks and no amount of cleaning or chemicals will get that out. He does this everyday now. I have been dealing with this for 1 year.

Can the vet give me Zoloft? Xanax? He needs something stronger. The valium did not work long.
This is costing me hundreds and thousands of dollars. I can not go on with him financially anymore.

What do I do now? Do I get to consider my quality of life in this?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting him in a small, easy to clean room with a litter box? Does he use the box then? There is no reason for you to let him access to the whole house while this is out of control.

Have you tried any other anti-anxiety meds? Upped the dose?

Could you build him an enclosed outdoor area?

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried just getting rid of the litter box and going to puppy pads?  We had a VERY elderly female declawed cat that had major issues from her declawing, and the older she got the worse she got about the litter box.  She had severe arthritis set up in her little paws.  We only had success after we started putting puppy pads down around her litter box and confining her to the laundry room with a baby gate.  She wasn't incontinent, but over time we learned she hated even stepping in kitty litter of any kind.  We had even tried shredded paper.

We started off putting the puppy pads down around the litter box because honestly we just thought she wasn't able to make it there in time, or maybe she was having trouble getting in and out of the box, although she could jump on the couch just fine, or on a chair.  Once we started putting them down she just went on the pads, and if I let her out to go into the kitchen with me she would still go back to use the pads when she needed to go.  I bought those "scented" kind with the puppy attractant and it helped, and we did clean with Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner all the places she had been in the house.

It's worth a shot, I think, at the point you are at.  I was there with Fuzz before she passed away.  But I told my husband that one day if I ever got to that point I would hope he wouldn't put me down because I pooped or peed somewhere LOL  I was at the point of putting diapers on her if we hadn't discovered the puppy pads!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting him in a small, easy to clean room with a litter box? Does he use the box then? There is no reason for you to let him access to the whole house while this is out of control.

Have you tried any other anti-anxiety meds? Upped the dose?

Could you build him an enclosed outdoor area?

Yes, I tried the small room. Didn't work.

He's had valium and OTC drugs.

Yes, I was considering that but I have lots of venomous snakes in my area. :(

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried just getting rid of the litter box and going to puppy pads?  We had a VERY elderly female declawed cat that had major issues from her declawing, and the older she got the worse she got about the litter box.  She had severe arthritis set up in her little paws.  We only had success after we started putting puppy pads down around her litter box and confining her to the laundry room with a baby gate.  She wasn't incontinent, but over time we learned she hated even stepping in kitty litter of any kind.  We had even tried shredded paper.

We started off putting the puppy pads down around the litter box because honestly we just thought she wasn't able to make it there in time, or maybe she was having trouble getting in and out of the box, although she could jump on the couch just fine, or on a chair.  Once we started putting them down she just went on the pads, and if I let her out to go into the kitchen with me she would still go back to use the pads when she needed to go.  I bought those "scented" kind with the puppy attractant and it helped, and we did clean with Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner all the places she had been in the house.

It's worth a shot, I think, at the point you are at.  I was there with Fuzz before she passed away.  But I told my husband that one day if I ever got to that point I would hope he wouldn't put me down because I pooped or peed somewhere LOL  I was at the point of putting diapers on her if we hadn't discovered the puppy pads!

So sorry about your girl. But yes, I tried the puppy pads. They worked for about 3 days before he decided to go else where. :( Did you ever try any drugs on your girl? If yes, what kinds?

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I tried the small room. Didn't work.

He's had valium and OTC drugs.

Yes, I was considering that but I have lots of venomous snakes in my area. :(
I would keep him in a smaller room while you work on this anyway. You don't need your whole house to smell like cat pee.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
We never did anything Rx from the vet, although I did use rescue remedy on her in her water.  It did seem to help somewhat.  She had so many health problems the vet didn't want to add anything her organs would have to process.  I think we just got lucky that she took to the puppy pads, it made my life and hers so much easier, especially towards the end.  My hubby traveled a lot back then for work so I had the majority of her end-of-life care, although he did take her to the vet to have her euthanized when he knew the time was right.

I really, really sympathize about the giant litter box thing as your bed.  Been there, done that.  Have you tried cleaning your mattress with a steam cleaner?  I used a hand held floor shampooer-cleaner with Folex (bought at Lowe's) in it.  That Folex stuff takes the smell out instantly.  I used it and the Nature's Miracle on the carpet where she peed, it didn't really deter her from going back there, but it would eliminate the odor.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
You mention Valium and calming medications, but has he been put on any pain medications? Buprenex and/or Gabapentin? Honestly, it sounds like he might benefit from both. One is a true pain medication, the other is for nerve pain.

I know Swheat Scoop litter has been suggested and used with good results. It's I wif the softest litters around. HOWEVER, my thoughts are that the behavior is a result of pain and, without proper pain management, the behavior will continue.

He would need to be on pain meds for a good 3-7 days before introducing a new litter. Otherwise, the pain will still be there and he will again associate the litter/box with pain.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would keep him in a smaller room while you work on this anyway. You don't need your whole house to smell like cat pee.

He is in my room. There is no other place in the house. He lives with 2 gaint dogs that do not like cats, so my room is the only option really. The house is tiny.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it's a Ragdoll thing. My mom also has a Ragdoll who was de-clawed by a former owner and won't use a litterbox. So far she's just cleaning it up all the time but I think she'll get sick of it eventually. Maybe a Ragdoll rescue would have some idea? If it's common in Ragdolls (perhaps because Ragdolls are already somewhat passive, maybe if they get de-clawed they become extra anxious?) maybe they've dealt with it before.

Anyway, yes, try the other anti-anxiety meds. Sometimes you have to try a few to find one that works.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is in my room. There is no other place in the house. He lives with 2 gaint dogs that do not like cats, so my room is the only option really. The house is tiny.
In that case, he may be peeing because he's stressed out by the dogs and being confined. Have you ever tried walking him on a harness?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few comments/thoughts here.

One is for the pee spots, and using nature's miracle, it really does work well, but only if the directions are followed completely, meaning literally pouring the stuff on the spot and saturating it, and allowing it to dry on it's own, which can take even a couple weeks.

First thought is how commonly this issue comes up when a cat is declawed. Their paws become so sensitive they hate the feel of the litter on them.

I also think dogs might help stress too.

As long as his urinary issues are cleared up, then I would start here-

Cage him in a small cage, his box in it should only have shredded newspaper, plenty of it.

He WILL use it then, and once he does for a few days, you can start expanding his space, gradually bigger until he is able to be out and about as long as he continues using the paper shreds filled box.

If he does not, get his butt on prozac. Some cats there is just no other solution.

At some point if on prozac, you can try tapering him off of it, but no guarantees, might work though, it's time for mind retraining his habits, taking away the reasons why he is peeing.

I also thought it's possible as an option to allow him outdoor access if he is unable to get out of the yard if fenced.

I cat-proofed my entire backyard so my cats would be able to enjoy the great outdoors.

Last edited:

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it's a Ragdoll thing. My mom also has a Ragdoll who was de-clawed by a former owner and won't use a litterbox. So far she's just cleaning it up all the time but I think she'll get sick of it eventually. Maybe a Ragdoll rescue would have some idea? If it's common in Ragdolls (perhaps because Ragdolls are already somewhat passive, maybe if they get de-clawed they become extra anxious?) maybe they've dealt with it before.

Anyway, yes, try the other anti-anxiety meds. Sometimes you have to try a few to find one that works.[/quote

I don't think so. I've had 8 Ragdolls and only 1 has done this. :(

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see it often in any breed of cats who are declawed, it can be physically sensitive  from the surgery, and it also can be how completely defenseless and vulnerable they feel with no claws.

This also can cause them to become biters, their only remaining defense.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We never did anything Rx from the vet, although I did use rescue remedy on her in her water.  It did seem to help somewhat.  She had so many health problems the vet didn't want to add anything her organs would have to process.  I think we just got lucky that she took to the puppy pads, it made my life and hers so much easier, especially towards the end.  My hubby traveled a lot back then for work so I had the majority of her end-of-life care, although he did take her to the vet to have her euthanized when he knew the time was right.

I really, really sympathize about the giant litter box thing as your bed.  Been there, done that.  Have you tried cleaning your mattress with a steam cleaner?  I used a hand held floor shampooer-cleaner with Folex (bought at Lowe's) in it.  That Folex stuff takes the smell out instantly.  I used it and the Nature's Miracle on the carpet where she peed, it didn't really deter her from going back there, but it would eliminate the odor.

No, but I will try that. Can you buy it online? He ruined the carpet in our previous house and I had to steam clean the carpets.

Last edited:

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I see it often in any breed of cats who are declawed, it can be physically sensitive  from the surgery, and it also can be how completely defenseless and vulnerable they feel with no claws.
This also can cause them to become biters, their only remaining defense.
Yeah. He's not a biter. But you're right.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few comments/thoughts here.
One is for the pee spots, and using nature's miracle, it really does work well, but only if the directions are followed completely, meaning literally pouring the stuff on the spot and saturating it, and allowing it to dry on it's own, which can take even a couple weeks.

First thought is how commonly this issue comes up when a cat is declawed. Their paws become so sensitive they hate the feel of the litter on them.
I also think dogs might help stress too.

As long as his urinary issues are cleared up, then I would start here-
Cage him in a small cage, his box in it should only have shredded newspaper, plenty of it.
He WILL use it then, and once he does for a few days, you can start expanding his space, gradually bigger until he is able to be out and about as long as he continues using the paper shreds filled box.

If he does not, get his butt on prozac. Some cats there is just no other solution.
At some point if on prozac, you can try tapering him off of it, but no guarantees, might work though, it's time for mind retraining his habits, taking away the reasons why he is peeing.

I also thought it's possible as an option to allow him outdoor access if he is unable to get out of the yard if fenced.
I cat-proofed my entire backyard so my cats would be able to enjoy the great outdoors.

I tried the cage method already. It was unsuccessful. I tried it for a month. I'll look into Prozac.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In that case, he may be peeing because he's stressed out by the dogs and being confined. Have you ever tried walking him on a harness?

He's been doing this since he was 2 years old, because of this he has always been confined, but I am in there a lot and he's lying by my feet as I type this.

Nope...never tried to take him for walks. I have done that with my previous cats and they loved it.