What Would Cause Stray Cats To Leave?

thecatfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

We had 6 (4 now) stray cats that we have been feeding and taking care of for a while now. Basically a colony almost.

Started with two small female kittens (showed up around the end of 2016), then 5 as one got pregnant and her kitties were born in May of 2017.

One small tuxedo kitten (about 3 month old at that time) showed up the beginning of September this year when we got back from Labor Day weekend. Literally had appeared out of nowhere, but seemed to fit in with the other cats, so ended up staying.

To get to the point, around mid-September this year, one of the stray cats (one that was born in May of 2017) suddenly disappeared. And then about a week later (around 7-10 days), another went missing (another one that was born in May of 2017). At that point, we started getting worried that someone might have been targeting them as how do both go missing at almost around the same timeframe.

A twist in the whole thing is that on November 11th this year, the small tuxedo kitten also disappeared. At this point, it likely couldn't have been a coincidence. About 9 days or so later, my parents were walking up the block and heard a meowing noise. Turns out, the tuxedo kitten was trapped in someone's garage (3 houses over to us on the right side of the block). We rang the door bell and the guy came out of the window and my parents told him of the kitten in his garage, he started going off about how he hates cats, how they pee and poop in his backyard, etc. He threatened to call the cops after, but we threatened him back unless he opened his garage and he did. Don't know if he had trapped it on purpose, or he genuinely didn't know it was in his garage. Either way, it would appear he has some issues of some sort. We rescued it, but then my mom feels like that guy may have done something to the other two cats that disappeared in September (although, don't know for sure, of course).

Point is, would there be a reason for a stray cat(s) to just disappear if we're feeding and taking care of it?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: thecatfiend, welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking care of the strays around your area :clapcat:

Regarding your questions, many things could have happened. One is that mishap could have fallen on them. Two, they could have been rescued and placed in the shelter and three, they could be adopted by someone but not as trapped deliberately by cat haters.

Hopefully, they are adopted by someone.

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the ones missing are in a safe place, in safe homes. I understand your being worried but just think that they could be in much better places now. It also happened to me before, when my street cats went missing one by one. I literally searched for them outside, calling their names (Yes, I gave each one their names), and got really so sad when they did not return. It happens. We all have to be hopeful that they are in much better hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thecatfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:hellosmiley: thecatfiend, welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking care of the strays around your area :clapcat:

Regarding your questions, many things could have happened. One is that mishap could have fallen on them. Two, they could have been rescued and placed in the shelter and three, they could be adopted by someone but not as trapped deliberately by cat haters.

Hopefully, they are adopted by someone.
Maybe, but I don't think two cats had mishap happen upon then, but who knows!

My mom is convinced that the guy either poisoned them, or had them intentionally trapped in his garage until they died. I'm not saying that isn't a scenario that could have happened, but to me, neither situation adds up. Even if he did poison them, they wouldn't have died right away (at least that's how I think poison works with animals?). As for trapping an animal in a garage intentionally, is that even a thing? I would think a person that hates cats wouldn't want one in their house period.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Most likely the cats somehow got into the wrong garage which is this guy's garage. And if he wanted to poison them and get rid of them, he'll not have left evidence on his premises, like trapping them in his own garage and poisoning them there.

You may want to ask around the more friendly neighbors if they have seen them or adopted them. Otherwise, it's the worse we could think off is any mishap that had happened.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is yet another possibility that no one mentioned and that is they could be off looking for a mate. You didn't say, (or I missed it if you did) if they have been neutered or spayed. Boys especially but also females will go looking for a mate when they begin to mature. It is not unusual for a male to be gone for weeks. And for a real life example I have one hanging around now.
Not to change the subject but I have a feral female and her 2, now grown, kittens still hiding in my entryway. Ever so slowly they are becoming tame but they are taking longer than any of my others did. They are now locked in as the door is always closed since it is winter here. They also have access to under the house but not to the outside. The mom has gone into heat. The reason I know for sure is a tom has showed up looking for whoever is putting out those irresistible pheromones. He is not feral. He was afraid of me at first but talked to me from under the car. Pretty funny how he would answer me back every time I said anything. In a few hours he came over to make friends. He was not afraid and responded instantly to the universal cat call of dry food in a can shaken. (They should make a drink called that). Anyway he belongs to somebody because he is usually well fed and very tame. I can pick him up and carry him around with no problems. He is not a stray, he is a runaway. He wants the lady locked up in the entry. Well, now the weather has gotten really cold and instead of just visiting he has moved into my shop. Homer and another of my dedicated outside cats has a nice setup in my shop and they have a place they can go in and out of. There is a heated bed and a heated water dish and food. So the other day when I went in to fill the food dish this tom was laying in the bed. It was a Goldie locks tale. He has moved in. As a result Homer has been at the door wanting to come in and eat. That is because his food is being snacked by this other guy. I don't know if his owners have even noticed that he has been gone. I have thought of taking a picture and going around and ask about him. I have also thought about getting him neutered and just letting him merge into the group. I don't know, but I do know that if he keeps running across the road to come and visit he is going to be roadkill.
So cats leave for all kinds of reasons, sometimes it's just for a heated bed and a chance to maybe get a girl. It's actually nice for a change that he doesn't hiss and growl at me and appreciates the amenities. Even if he is a freeloader.

As far as poison goes, I don't think most people would go that route. It takes to long and is to dangerous for other animals. Most cat haters would use violence as they would find it more gratifying. Sad to say that. Killing kittens with a hammer is more like the kind of thing they would do.

thecatfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most likely the cats somehow got into the wrong garage which is this guy's garage. And if he wanted to poison them and get rid of them, he'll not have left evidence on his premises, like trapping them in his own garage and poisoning them there.

You may want to ask around the more friendly neighbors if they have seen them or adopted them. Otherwise, it's the worse we could think off is any mishap that had happened.
Maybe, but if that was the case, then why didn't he do that to the little tuxedo kitten that was trapped in his garage for 9-10 days? He could have poisoned it then, unless he somehow didn't know it ended up there.

thecatfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is yet another possibility that no one mentioned and that is they could be off looking for a mate. You didn't say, (or I missed it if you did) if they have been neutered or spayed. Boys especially but also females will go looking for a mate when they begin to mature. It is not unusual for a male to be gone for weeks. And for a real life example I have one hanging around now.
Not to change the subject but I have a feral female and her 2, now grown, kittens still hiding in my entryway. Ever so slowly they are becoming tame but they are taking longer than any of my others did. They are now locked in as the door is always closed since it is winter here. They also have access to under the house but not to the outside. The mom has gone into heat. The reason I know for sure is a tom has showed up looking for whoever is putting out those irresistible pheromones. He is not feral. He was afraid of me at first but talked to me from under the car. Pretty funny how he would answer me back every time I said anything. In a few hours he came over to make friends. He was not afraid and responded instantly to the universal cat call of dry food in a can shaken. (They should make a drink called that). Anyway he belongs to somebody because he is usually well fed and very tame. I can pick him up and carry him around with no problems. He is not a stray, he is a runaway. He wants the lady locked up in the entry. Well, now the weather has gotten really cold and instead of just visiting he has moved into my shop. Homer and another of my dedicated outside cats has a nice setup in my shop and they have a place they can go in and out of. There is a heated bed and a heated water dish and food. So the other day when I went in to fill the food dish this tom was laying in the bed. It was a Goldie locks tale. He has moved in. As a result Homer has been at the door wanting to come in and eat. That is because his food is being snacked by this other guy. I don't know if his owners have even noticed that he has been gone. I have thought of taking a picture and going around and ask about him. I have also thought about getting him neutered and just letting him merge into the group. I don't know, but I do know that if he keeps running across the road to come and visit he is going to be roadkill.
So cats leave for all kinds of reasons, sometimes it's just for a heated bed and a chance to maybe get a girl. It's actually nice for a change that he doesn't hiss and growl at me and appreciates the amenities. Even if he is a freeloader.

As far as poison goes, I don't think most people would go that route. It takes to long and is to dangerous for other animals. Most cat haters would use violence as they would find it more gratifying. Sad to say that. Killing kittens with a hammer is more like the kind of thing they would do.
The two missing ones are female, and had been spayed.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Maybe, but if that was the case, then why didn't he do that to the little tuxedo kitten that was trapped in his garage for 9-10 days? He could have poisoned it then, unless he somehow didn't know it ended up there.
Let's hope for the best for these kitties and nothing of such sorts happen to them.

thecatfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:

Even worse news. The little tuxedo kitty is also gone, again! :(

Last time we saw it was when my Mom was outside the house doing some stuff. yesterday. This was around 12-1 ish PM in the afternoon (Monday, 12/17). It got a bit scared because my Mom was moving some bags around, but nothing too crazy. It wandered off somewhere (usually does for a bit, but then it comes back), and hasn't been back since. My parents and me went back to that guy's garage to try to listen in and see if it maybe it ended up getting trapped in there again, but so far, no kitty noises in there.

Should note again that the little tuxedo kitty is female and appears to be unspayed/unneutered. It's around a 6-7 month old as well. Could it be that it wandered off to look for a male cat to mate?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Sometimes it's because of the noise and moving of bags could have startled her and that's why she took off. She could be in hiding from the moving of bags.

Try looking for her in another direction or possible places not necessary to be in that guy's garage where she can be hiding in.

Leave food out for her and hopefully when hunger calls , she'll return to eat.

thecatfiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes it's because of the noise and moving of bags could have startled her and that's why she took off. She could be in hiding from the moving of bags.

Try looking for her in another direction or possible places not necessary to be in that guy's garage where she can be hiding in.

Leave food out for her and hopefully when hunger calls , she'll return to eat.
So far, she's still missing :(

I feel like she's close by, but may have gotten stuck somewhere :(

Made a post on Nextdoor, and considering making flyers to put around.