What will these kittens look like?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be a layman's term, but Mink is a common way to refer to non-pointed ragdolls, for whatever reason. Unsure how or why that came about. I believe it was something invented by backyard breeders to make them sound more rare and appealing.
I think you might be confusing some things. There are some breeders that do produce sepia and mink Ragdolls (even though these are not correct to the standard). Technically these cats are "non pointed" because they don't fall into the pointed category required by the standard. They also have lower contrast between body and points, compared to a pointed Ragdoll, so it might not be obvious in a picture that they are sepia or mink (especially when this is combined with tabby points or lots of white). However, mink doesn't mean "any non pointed cat."

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you might be confusing some things. There are some breeders that do produce sepia and mink Ragdolls (even though these are not correct to the standard). Technically these cats are "non pointed" because they don't fall into the pointed category required by the standard. They also have lower contrast between body and points, compared to a pointed Ragdoll, so it might not be obvious in a picture that they are sepia or mink (especially when this is combined with tabby points or lots of white). However, mink doesn't mean "any non pointed cat."
Oh! Understood, I appreciate the clarification! I believe my confusion came from all the instances of coming across people online claiming they own/are selling non-pointed Ragdolls and calling them 'rare Minks'. What you've explained makes way more sense, thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's some pictures of the girl when she was about 8-9 weeks old:
Emmy still as a kitten.jpg

Emmy as a kitten.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww she's so cute!

I believe she's a blue point though. Lilac points have pinkish-gray noses, blues have slate-colored noses, and hers sure looks slate to me.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some pictures of the girl when she was about 8-9 weeks old
Very cute kitten. Her color is definitely blue point, not lilac point. A lilac point would be lighter in color and more pink in tone, and would have pinkish nose leather rather than slate blue. Here is an example of a lilac point kitten so you can see the nose color.

8d78d217545ed924738cb48c7820b9dc.jpg

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww she's so cute!

I believe she's a blue point though. Lilac points have pinkish-gray noses, blues have slate-colored noses, and hers sure looks slate to me.
Thank you! I think so, too.
Very cute kitten. Her color is definitely blue point, not lilac point. A lilac point would be lighter in color and more pink in tone, and would have pinkish nose leather rather than slate blue. Here is an example of a lilac point kitten so you can see the nose color.

View attachment 374701
Oh, wow. I definitely see the pinkish-colored nose! Thank you!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So to answer your original question about what colors might appear in a litter from these two parents:
  • You're likely to see some brown tabby kittens. If dad doesn't carry any recessive genes, they will all be brown tabby.
  • If dad carries solid, some might be solid black.
  • If dad carries dilute (blue), some might be blue tabby (or solid blue if he also carries solid).
  • If dad carries colorpoint, some might be pointed versions of the above colors (seal lynx point, seal point, blue lynx point, blue point).
Hair length would depend on if mom carries longhair. If she doesn't carry longhair, they will all be shorthaired. If she carries longhair, each kitten has a 50% chance of being longhaired.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I hope that there's at least one pointed kitten. Maybe he's a ragdoll mix.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I looked at his parents' papers. Both the dam and sire are registered with TICA. The dam is white and the sire is a blue point. His grandparents, great-grandparents, and so on, were blue point and seal point. Farther down the line there are some lilac points. One thing is a white cat has to have a white parent. I'm pretty sure that the papers said that the dam's parents were seal point and blue point. Also, a tabby has to have at least a tabby parent, right?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I looked at his parents' papers. Both the dam and sire are registered with TICA. The dam is white and the sire is a blue point. His grandparents, great-grandparents, and so on, were blue point and seal point. Farther down the line there are some lilac points. One thing is a white cat has to have a white parent. I'm pretty sure that the papers said that the dam's parents were seal point and blue point. Also, a tabby has to have at least a tabby parent, right?
Did you get a scan or photo of the papers? If you like, you could send them to me in a private message and I can look them over.

You are correct that those colors don't make sense genetically. If mom is white, she can't have seal point and blue point parents... something is wrong there. And in order to produce a non-pointed kitten, the mother would need to be genetically non-pointed "under" the white, so she would need to have a non-pointed parent. So those are two problems with the colors on the papers.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah he's just a DLH brown tabby, not a ragdoll. The "breeder" is falsifying papers. Mom is probably just a DSH as well.
I would run from that "breeder" and look at TICA for registered breeders near you. :)

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you get a scan or photo of the papers? If you like, you could send them to me in a private message and I can look them over.

You are correct that those colors don't make sense genetically. If mom is white, she can't have seal point and blue point parents... something is wrong there. And in order to produce a non-pointed kitten, the mother would need to be genetically non-pointed "under" the white, so she would need to have a non-pointed parent. So those are two problems with the colors on the papers.
No, I was going to a picture of the papers but I'd have a phone or camera with me. As soon as I get a pic, I'll send it to you.

Yep, that's definitely what I was thinking.

Another thing is that the papers said that the lady who was selling them was just the owner of the cat's parents but the "breeder" of the dam and sire were two totally different people. What does that mean, exactly?

Thank you so much for your help, lutece lutece !

Yah he's just a DLH brown tabby, not a ragdoll. The "breeder" is falsifying papers. Mom is probably just a DSH as well.
I would run from that "breeder" and look at TICA for registered breeders near you. :)
😔
Off topic, but how fun! I put in our two spayed female cats just to see what their kittens would be! :crazy:
I know! This is so fun!!!!!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing is that the papers said that the lady who was selling them was just the owner of the cat's parents but the "breeder" of the dam and sire were two totally different people. What does that mean, exactly?
The breeder of a kitten or cat is generally defined as the owner of the mother (technically, the owner or lessee of the mother at the time of mating). It's often the case that the breeder of a cat is different from the owner of the cat. So that part, at least, doesn't sound too suspicious. Lots of other things about these papers sound suspicious, though.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, okay. Thank you!

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
K KittyJ shes so pretty , is that the one that you are going to get ?
Thank you! She's the future mother of the future kitten I'm going to get. The colorpoint kittens should look like her (if the dad carries the colorpoint gene). I'm thinking I want a longhaired seal point (both parents carry the longhaired gene). I will be overloading y'all with pics!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not just rescue a pointed cat from a shelter, rather than support a suspected BYB? They're hardly guaranteed to have pointed kittens, either, given the supposed ragdoll parent seems to have falsified papers (and, as such, unlikely to have pointed ancestors), or ones just stolen off another cat.

The pointing gene is fairly common amongst the stray population at this point, as well, so you shouldn't have a particularly hard time finding one, either.