What Type Of Dish Do You Use For Wet Food?

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine use shallow stainless steel bowls. When they are hungry enough, they will manage to get every last bite, even from the corners, but sometimes there is some leftover which is a pain to wash after its been sitting there for a while. Mine are both too messy for plates though- more than half the food would end up on the floor.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use shallow ceramic plates with low lip for my boy. The wideness of the plates does not give him whiskers stress. ...
View attachment 197623
I love that oval, floral print bowl, tabbytom.

I use an oval-type, low lip one for Milly but I may have to find a prettier one for her after seeing yours!

Attachments

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Upping this thread because I found the perfect wet food plate for my cat yesterday and just wanted to share the idea...

I'm using the bottom of a butter dish.

The dish looks like the bottom of this one:

Works perfectly for me because it's shallow enough that it doesn't bother the whiskers yet it still has ridges so the food doesn't get licked off the edge of the plate. :banana2:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I love the butter dish bottom! I use fairly flat Corelle bowls for my three. For Iris, it wouldn’t make one bit of difference what kind of dish I use—and I’ve experimented with completely flat plates. Every time she encounters a chunk of meat, no matter how small, she carries it to a rug, drops it, then eats it. She does this even if she has to carry the mess in her mouth four or five feet to reach a rug. Why would she drop it on easily cleaned tile when she can watch Mom tear her hair out at having to clean cat food from the rug? Silly girl. :)

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to use plastic bowls because I drop everything. A ceramic bowl wouldn't last a week. A glass plate wouldn't last one morning. I'm so clumsy in the mornings I'll either use a napkin instead of a plate or I'll eat at the counter so I don't have to carry my bowl. I've also put some nasty dents in stainless steel bowls. The plastic bowls get washed daily and bleached at least once a week. The one for dry food is round and very wide with ridges that help prevent the food being pushed out of the bowl. Her wet food bowl is slightly raised and is also wide, but it's a little deeper because I add a generous amount of water to the wet food. I try to make sure her bowls won't stress her whiskers too much.

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious what people are serving their cat's food on...

I was feeding Molly from a small bowl but some food always ended up stuck along the edges and I read that bowls aren't great for their whiskers... So, this morning I tried a saucer and though she seemed to enjoy it, when she was finished eating and I went to remove the dish, there was a bunch of food underneath it that she apparently had pushed off the edges and didn't realize it...

What do you feed your cat's from? Do they push food off of a plate/saucer? Do you think it's something she will adjust to and learn to stop pushing food onto the floor or should I go back to a bowl?
I've tried all of the things you mentioned. I've gone back to the 5.5 ounce can. I just put a little hot water in and mix it up for Mookie. Next, I may try a human sized plate. The problem I've found with larger dishes is that the food dries too much. But it's definitely easier for her to eat out of, so there's a trade-off.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried all of the things you mentioned. I've gone back to the 5.5 ounce can. I just put a little hot water in and mix it up for Mookie. Next, I may try a human sized plate. The problem I've found with larger dishes is that the food dries too much. But it's definitely easier for her to eat out of, so there's a trade-off.
You serve an entire 5.5oz can at once? Dang!

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You serve an entire 5.5oz can at once? Dang!
Yes. But then I put it away after she's done eating (15 minutes). I put the entire can in a Ziploc bag and in the fridge. It seems to stay fresh that way. Then I add a few drops of hot water and mix it up with a fork before the next meal.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. But then I put it away after she's done eating (15 minutes). I put the entire can in a Ziploc bag and in the fridge. It seems to stay fresh that way. Then I add a few drops of hot water and mix it up with a fork before the next meal.
Ah okay, for some reason I thought your cat ate the whole thing haha.

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah okay, for some reason I thought your cat ate the whole thing haha.
Haha, naw. I wish she ate more. She had surgery on Friday, meaning that the last time she ate was Thursday afternoon. The first time she ate again was Saturday near noon (5.5 ounce can). She is still not done with that can! She's probably eaten 5 ounces in a little over 24-hours.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not give half the 5.5oz can in the morning, then the other half at night?

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why not give half the 5.5oz can in the morning, then the other half at night?
I'll probably try that next. But I've been trying to conserve dishes and also see what she prefers to eat out of. At one point, I was doing the dish thing. She used more than me!

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought a bunch of shallow ceramic plates that I think are supposed to be for wasabi/soy sauce dipping for sushi. I have small dessert plates as well. Mostly I use small paper plates that I compost.

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Trying something new - 5.5 ounce can on platter (larger than normal human plate). :yummy:

IMG_20180312_002922.jpg