What Type Of Dish Do You Use For Wet Food?

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm curious what people are serving their cat's food on...

I was feeding Molly from a small bowl but some food always ended up stuck along the edges and I read that bowls aren't great for their whiskers... So, this morning I tried a saucer and though she seemed to enjoy it, when she was finished eating and I went to remove the dish, there was a bunch of food underneath it that she apparently had pushed off the edges and didn't realize it...

What do you feed your cat's from? Do they push food off of a plate/saucer? Do you think it's something she will adjust to and learn to stop pushing food onto the floor or should I go back to a bowl?

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm curious what people are serving their cat's food on...

I was feeding Molly from a small bowl but some food always ended up stuck along the edges and I read that bowls aren't great for their whiskers... So, this morning I tried a saucer and though she seemed to enjoy it, when she was finished eating and I went to remove the dish, there was a bunch of food underneath it that she apparently had pushed off the edges and didn't realize it...

What do you feed your cat's from? Do they push food off of a plate/saucer? Do you think it's something she will adjust to and learn to stop pushing food onto the floor or should I go back to a bowl?
I use a ceramic saucer. At first she did push the food to the edges, but now she doesn't. She generally licks the plate clean, so there's no food stuck anywhere.

dreamr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was using shallow cat food bowls until - like you - I read about using plates. I tried, but I had the same experience with them pushing food off of the plate that you did, so I went back to their bowls. They are very shallow bowls, so I figure they aren't too bad on their whiskers.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've got 3 different types: there are the stainless steel bowls, ceramic saucers, and a shallow bowl. Most of the time I use the first two though, depending on how much water I put with my cat's wet/raw food.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a couple small ceramic bowels and two that are ceramic but flatter like for tiny tarts. I have been washing everyday as kitty seems to have a cold. I feed both wet and dry in them.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use flat saucers. Two of my cats have table manners and eat over their plates. The third cat does not push her food off her plate; she claws a piece of food, lifts it to the floor, eats it, then "grabs" the next piece. I'd might as well dish her food directly onto the ceramic tile floor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems by some comments that there are cats that get used to it so I will give her some time and see if she learns not to push the food off! If not, I will look into some of these other options... perhaps an oval bowl with lower sides would be a good middle ground.
Thanks everyone.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, I quick posted earlier. Mine has a slight raised lip and ridge on the inside. Between the two it is very uncommon for food to get pushed out of the bowl. Rocket is one who likes to take bites out and eat them on the side so hers still ends up on the floor; but she does that with any type of dish I use.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got 3 different types: there are the stainless steel bowls, ceramic saucers, and a shallow bowl. Most of the time I use the first two though, depending on how much water I put with my cat's wet/raw food.
Same here! One of our cats will pretty much only eat from a (flat) plate. Target sells plain white appetizer plates for about $1.99 -- I bought a nice little stack of them because they store flat and don't take up too much space in the dish washer.

Kieka Kieka -- your snowshoe is a very relaxed eater! (So is ours: she'd eat out of just about any vessel!)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kieka Kieka -- your snowshoe is a very relaxed eater! (So is ours: she'd eat out of just about any vessel!)
He was being a lazy child that evening. The other two had already eaten by the time he came in for dinner; he flopped five feet from the bowl so I scooted it over. That is very typical of Link.

He had some food aggression as a kitten and I worked with him so he wasn't anxious over food. I think it took a little too well because he will gladly give up his food to the other two cats and look to me for replacement for his food. He does wait his turn patiently for the dry food; which is funny because he literally waits directly behind whoever is eating which makes me think of school lunch lines. He also brings neighborhood strays over and tries to bring them inside for a bite.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Elfie has a flat face so I've always used plates (got messy) until I found "Dr. Catsby's whisker relief" bowl. It's wide and shallow and she seems to like it. Was it worth the 15$? For cats like Persians and British shorthairs, yes. I think (I hope) It's made eating easier for her. She isn't a picky eater anymore since I got this bowl so I think that speaks for a lot!

DrCatsbyBowl4.jpg

DrCatsbyBowl5.jpg

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My plates are Vega's plates. I put a foam mat under the plates which I clean weekly.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I use shallow ceramic plates with low lip for my boy. The wideness of the plates does not give him whiskers stress.

I feed him with wet food only and the food hardly falls off the sides unless he flicks the food with his mouth but occasionally one or two bits gets on to the counter but I always have a piece of newspaper below his plate to catch the fallen bits.

The round paw print bowl is his water dish which he hardly drinks from it which is filled to the brim. He gets his water from his food that has lots of gravy.

The cat print bowl is just a spoon rest and I've changed the spoon from a plastic to a stainless steel spoon already.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use ceramic bowls. I make sure to buy ones that are wide enough to accommodate whiskers, and my cats have always seemed fine with them.