What type of cat is this?

Linseylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! My name is Linsey. I have 3 cats, and I know what kind of breeds 2 of them are, but I’m still lost on the other one, James. He is roughly 4 y/old, and is a medium sized cat, with an orange tabby pattern and color, with what seems like medium hair (I’m pretty sure his eyes are hazel, but I’m not sure lol). I thought he might be a domestic medium haired orange tabby, but honestly I’m not sure now. Here’s some photos of him!
DISCLAIMER - Before anyone says anything, I know he’s really fat lol, I’m working on It. We used to free-feed (we don’t anymore), so that’s why he’s overweight. I’ve got him on a weight loss diet, and is exercising 10 minutes a day, along with our other cats because they are very fat too, so that’s under control! Lol
(In one of the photos there are 2 cats - the one in the front is James)
F900BBFC-7F41-4A80-8CBD-C620A704FD48.jpeg
6ED133E3-A585-4CD3-8EBC-11E1C3B2D54C.jpeg
C0E166F3-C65C-4B43-AB9B-694D96E38A36.jpeg
14265AF1-BBAD-4B95-A8E3-44EAB5E3C8F0.jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Breed - Domestic Shorthair
Color - Red
Coat Pattern - Tabby

Most cats are domestic cats. The whole idea of there even being specific breeds within domestic cats is only a few hundred years old and there simply aren't the numbers for most cats to even have distant relations with any named breed. Nearly any cat you run across out there will be a domestic cat unless you have their lineage paperwork to support something else.

As to weight, he is healthy. I can see the outline of his knee against his midsection in a photo. His abdomen doesn't appear to be rounded as is the case in overweight cats. He does have a nice primordial pouch hanging down but those aren't any indicator of weight or body condition. Those are evolutionary traits that some cats just have, you can see them in wild cats too. The purpose isn't clear to science but there are theories. I personally wouldn't be trying to get that cat to lose weight unless looking at him from above is showing a vastly different profile. If standing over and looking down you see a pinching between ribs and hips, he is fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Linseylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Breed - Domestic Shorthair
Color - Red
Coat Pattern - Tabby

Most cats are domestic cats. The whole idea of there even being specific breeds within domestic cats is only a few hundred years old and there simply aren't the numbers for most cats to even have distant relations with any named breed. Nearly any cat you run across out there will be a domestic cat unless you have their lineage paperwork to support something else.

As to weight, he is healthy. I can see the outline of his knee against his midsection in a photo. His abdomen doesn't appear to be rounded as is the case in overweight cats. He does have a nice primordial pouch hanging down but those aren't any indicator of weight or body condition. Those are evolutionary traits that some cats just have, you can see them in wild cats too. The purpose isn't clear to science but there are theories. I personally wouldn't be trying to get that cat to lose weight unless looking at him from above is showing a vastly different profile. If standing over and looking down you see a pinching between ribs and hips, he is fine.
Okay, thanks for your help!
And yes, from above he does look a bit round. He weighs 16 Ib right now. I think a healthy weight for him would be around 15 Ib. He is not EXTREMELY overweight, as I might’ve made It sound. My 2 other cats weigh much more lol.
Thank you very much!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just to agree. What Im wondering about, is I dont see clearly any visible stripes, spots nor bulls eye on his sides nor back. ( I will guard myself by saying, the exact pattern may be difficult to see on longhairs, its easier on the shorthairs)
And thus; he is probably a ticked tabby.

I think this is why you had difficulties to label him previously.... Ticked tabby isnt so common.
HERE in our forum, we see them quite often, because people come here with their difficult to identyfy cats.

Ps. 10 minutes a day is really too little if you want to count this as a good exercise... Double this at least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Linseylou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to agree. What Im wondering about, is I dont see clearly any visible stripes, spots nor bulls eye on his sides nor back. ( I will guard myself by saying, the exact pattern may be difficult to see on longhairs, its easier on the shorthairs)
And thus; he is probably a ticked tabby.

I think this is why you had difficulties to label him previously.... Ticked tabby isnt so common.
HERE in our forum, we see them quite often, because people come here with their difficult to identyfy cats.

Ps. 10 minutes a day is really too little if you want to count this as a good exercise... Double this at least.
okay thanks! And yes, I have read a lot
More things and have got a lot more replies, so I have been exercising them for at least 30 minutes a day now! Thanks!!