What to do with recently OPENED dry cat food no longer needed?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, I lost my cat today after his battle with cancer.

I still have almost an entire bag of Hills ONC dry food, which was the only food he would eat during his cancer months, and kept him nourished.

I also have another almost full, recently opened bag of another type of dry food, which I tried when my cat was getting picky with foods.

What can possibly be done with these? I really don't want them to go to waste, and would love to give to someone in need. The Hills ONC food was $60 per bag and hard to afford for me. I'm sure someone else is in a similar position.

I'm sure that you can't donate opened food, for good reason. But what would you do if you had opened bags like I do, that are pretty fresh and almost full? Post locally to see if anyone in your area is in need? I could even provide receipts if anyone wanted to see when the food was purchased.

I'd just really hate to throw it away... any ideas welcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss... The shelters in my area take opened food. Might be worth asking.
Thanks. That's interesting... I was always told by "conventional wisdom" (though I can't remember by whom, exactly) that opened bags are just not accepted. I haven't actually looked into it.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, depending on where you purchased, some places will take back food. They ask the bag still be mostly full or something. I had asked their policy when I was trying to find the right food for a cat and wanted to try some.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just came to say the same thing - some shelters do take resealed dry food, so worth checking indeed.
Alright, I will check tomorrow and follow-up here with what I find to be true in my area.

I want to do this ASAP, as I know that while dry food can last a long time when properly sealed, it is better when fresher.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry for your loss ❤

I donated Lily's dry food on my local Buy Nothing Group. She was on a separate food than Nobel.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[Sorry] to hear this

You may want too pay a tribute to Willy and your may do so here in Crossing the Bridge
Thanks. I plan to. I am not done with the medical thread yet (I have more info to add soon). Then will be making a new thread in the Bridge forum.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Just about anywhere I know of that sells "Hills" dry foods will refund returned bags ( opened or unopened)- Pet Supermarket,Petco,PetSmart & Vets that sell Rx Science Diet if you purchased from them.....

Call pet shelters and even they don't accept opened bags ask them for volunteers that feed colonies to give you a call,they could use donations

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, again.. so sorry... ((hugs))
Many rescues will use the opened bags for ferals.. I know, not what you would want, but they may have some special needs cats which could be in need of the specialized food. I did that with Artie's food and supplies...

If you have evidence of a receipt, then you can try to return it to the store.. If they are affiliated with a rescue, they would probably give it to them..
Again, 💕 love and hugs...

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cmshap cmshap , so sorry to hear of your loss...........
Thank you for being so concerned about what to do with freshly opened dry food, that other cats could use.......If I was around your area, I'd take it in a minute for my colony........
And yes, my local dog/cat shelter(if you can call it that) would gladly take your just-opened dry food, they are always asking for any kind of donations......
Once again, Thanks for the concern over un-used dry that others could use.......A REAL CAT PERSON.....