What To Do W Cats When Workmen Come Inside

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just have the one cat, which makes it easier.

Jasmine's kibble and water bowl are both in the guest bathroom (on opposite sides of the toilet so she doesn't get kibble in her water) and she has a small litter box there as well, so if it's a long job she goes in there, and I'm careful to put her there in advance so she doesn't panic and hide when the doorbell rings.

If it's going to be a short job she gets the bedroom to herself. Her main litter boxes are in there, as well as two scratching posts and several windows. Frequently it's just a matter of quietly closing the door while she naps. :evilgrin:

If her vet is coming she gets her harness and leash put on well in advance, and I'll tie the leash to a leg of the heavy table in the living room, the one the television is on. It's the only way I've found to make sure she's available for the vet. Not happy about it, but available.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s something to try for my younger male, assuming I could get a harness on him.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are actually going to experience this week while I have my entire bathroom gutted and remodeled. The girls are going to have four fun-filled days confined to my bedroom! (Yes, that's sarcasm!) We've been preparing for a few weeks now, they've always had a litter box in there as well so that isn't new. They now have food and water dishes which we've been using to get them adjusted to eating there and we've bought a few new toys for interest and distraction. They like my room and have access to it on a regular basis but this will be the first time they are confined to it for any type of duration. I'm sure we'll manage.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
That might work with the older ones but the young one becomes suspicious anytime I try to lure him into a room with treats.
Plus, I don’t have a safe room downstairs, which means I’d have to start feeding them their regular meals upstairs to get everybody used to going in there.
:hellocomputer:Randomly pass out treats without trying to lure anywhere so that when you do need to lure they won't have any idea that you are. Try to wear them out with play so hopefully they will sleep while they are confined. Try to stay calm, they will pick up on your stress. :goodluck:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used a small bicycle type horn to get the cats back from the door when we had to keep them separated. Another thing we used was an oinking pig dog toy. Some might consider it mean, but they were okay with it, they would just move back from the door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They get treats everyday and sometimes in th bedroom. However, when I call them to give them treats in the bedroom, they know something’s up and won’t come in the room.

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It depends on what they are doing. I rent so I'm not having renovations done, but my Super has to come by and fix things from time to time.

When I had Fios installed, the guy had to keep going in and out of the apartment. I was tempted to put Maya in another room, but that stresses her out and she doesn't need anymore stress (plus it breaks my heart to her her meowing behind the door!) When he'd open the door she'd run away to somewhere else in the apartment, then come sneaking out again, and so on...I just kept an eye on her and told the guy to keep the door closed when he went in and out. Anyway, by the time he was almost done she was practically giving him a kiss. (She was literally next to his head. It was super cute but I don't think he appreciated it.)

I'm less concerned with her running out the door than getting hurt or just plain being in the person's way b/c she's so curious. She's always like, "whatcha doooin??" with her nose in everything. But I live in an apartment building so while I obviously don't want her to get loose, at least she's not running into the street if she did escape.

I put her in the bathroom when I was having the ac vents cleaned, and a piece of the dryer replaced, more so for health reasons. I don't want her around dust or anything like that. For other things like having the shower head replaced, or a lightbulb changed (we can't do that ourselves b/c of the way the lights are installed.) I let her roam free and just keep an eye on her so she doesn't bother the worker (though, all of my Supers have loved her and didn't mind). Sometimes I can distract her with treats or a toy, but even that doesn't doesn't always stop her!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
When they installed a new HVAC system, I stayed in my bedroom with Artie.. food, water, litter box in there. He was so hyper.

I did not want him getting in the way, or sneaking out onto the balcony, in the middle of a winter snow storm.

When I left the room, he would really cry.

He became used to the super.. and the super, him.. He sometimes investigated, but later just stayed in his 'tent'....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they installed a new HVAC system, I stayed in my bedroom with Artie.. food, water, litter box in there. He was so hyper.

I did not want him getting in the way, or sneaking out onto the balcony, in the middle of a winter snow storm.

When I left the room, he would really cry.

He became used to the super.. and the super, him.. He sometimes investigated, but later just stayed in his 'tent'....
It's great that he did, but even greater than you put HIS safety and wellbeing first. I wish everyone would!

Christoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For now, I lock one cat in the spare "cat room" and the other chills with me in my, the main, bedroom. It's easy since the spare "cat room" was both cats safe space, Buds when I moved and Meja when I got her.

Before I got Meja, workers had to come in and install appliances and do some painting. So I had to dump poor Bud in the bedroom all day. He really hates being cooped up, and I had to work so I couldn't sit there and comfort him all day, but I'd rather have a crying cat at home than a sick cat at a vet.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had an electrician come the other day - actually I wasn't expecting him to come - my landlady texted us and asked if either of us was home because he was available - so I didn't plan ahead.

The cats mostly stayed out of the way, though we do have a pocket door, and when Lelia was getting too curious (or if he hadn't been okay with the cats) I probably would have put them in the other half of the apartment. Granted, that's a lot easier than locking them in one room. We put my bf's cat in one room when we moved him in and she was miserable, but we didn't want her getting out.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have people in my home to do work I actually ask them if they are comfortable around cats. Depending on the type of work I am having done I leave my cats alone. One of mine will hide on her own. Two of them will watch from a distance. Casey will ask for pets and then just sit near by and watch. When I was having my house painted by a family friend and I was not home Casey was kept in the basement and Apollo stayed down there with him for company. When I was home I did not need to lock anyone up because Casey stayed away from the paint on his own. If the person doing the work is fine with being around my cats then I leave them out when I am home. I have put everyone in the basement when I have not been home. My cats can open my bedroom door so I can not secure them in there. If I have someone coming into my home I let the company know I have cats to avoid having someone sent to my house that could have a severe allergic reaction. Most of the people I have had in my house doing work have cats of there own at home so they already know to close outside doors. I always tell everyone if my cats are bothering you let me know and I will secure them.

I had one person in my home to do an estimate for flooring that was very allergic to cats. He asked me if I had cats and cats and we put Casey in the bathroom upstairs with food and water for the 30 minutes he was in our home. Casey went to the bathroom right before the guy showed up. If it had been longer I would have put a litter box in there. The guy was nice and did an excellent job helping us pick out carpet for our living room. He mentioned to us that the company kept knowingly sending him to homes with multiple cats even though he could have a severe reaction and clients were letting the company know they had cats. My hubby called the company the next day and gave the gentleman a great review. He also had some stern words with a supervisor about putting this guy's life in danger. My hubby is a legal assistant and knows how to use legal terms to scare people when he needs to. A week later the guy called my hubby personally and thanked him for his help. It turned out one of the people doing the scheduling did not believe cat or dog allergies were real. After my hubby's phone call the supervisor figured out what the issue was. This person was doing the same thing to someone else who was allergic to dogs. The employee was ordered to stop putting people in danger or find a new job. It was company policy to ask about pets in the home and not send people with allergies to do work there. The company was supposed to send employees with allergies to homes without pets. I felt bad for this poor guy. If I had known this issue ahead of time I would have deep cleaned my house and secured all the cats before he set foot in my house.

Last edited: