What To Do About Elderly Mother In-law's Cat?

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wasn't sure where to post this so I apologize if wrong. My mother-in-law has a 5 year old male cat. The cat is healthy but she has become ill and has moved in with one of her sons. She will likely be moving to a long term assisted living facility soon. The son (who lives in her town) has a dog, 2 kids and a wife who is allergic to cats so they can't take the cat in.

My husband and I live 5 hours away and have 7 indoor only cats of our own. We would be happy to take the cat but I'm worried about putting him in a house full of cats when he has been alone his whole life. Plus he really loved my MIL and it breaks my heart that she can't keep him or see him again.

I'm torn. I want to do what's best for the cat, but the thought of sending him with strangers makes me so sad. Do you think he'll be ok living with us, and if so, any suggestions on how to transition him into the mix?
Thanks in advance.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is a tough one. Is there any way that your mother in law would be able to keep the cat once she moved into assisted living? Many of them allow one small pet (or allow emotional support animals,) if the senior owner can somewhat take care of it. Maybe you could figure out something temporary for the cat until he could move there with her? It's great that you're trying to help him!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ideally the assisted living home would allow it, however I haven't run into one that does. They might have a therapy animal on site but it is a trained animal that doesn't live there.

I'd try to integrate him into your household. If that doesn't work you can try to find him a home where he will be an only cat. Rescues or fosters in your area may be able to help in that.

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in a very similar situation to you - fostering my grandmother's 5-year old solitary cat for an indefinite amount of time. While it's been very hard seeing a cat unused to any sort of change try and adjust to living in my apartment bedroom, my grandmother is so much happier knowing that her cat is with me. She loves that I can send her pictures whenever she asks and can tell her stories about what her cat is up to.

If you think your mother-in-law could feel the same way, it might be worth giving it a shot for her sake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the suggestions. Depending on the assisted living facility, she might be able to keep him. I don't think she could change his litter box but I'm sure her son could when he visits. But that's likely a few months away.

So it's looking like we are going to take him in and keep him separate from our gang for a while and slowly integrate. She would be very happy to know he is with us, so we can send her pictures and update her. It's going to be tough to get him in the car for a 5 hour drive, but hopefully he won't be too stressed. I can always try some felaway or rescue remedy. I just hope he thrives in his new place because now he's in her house, alone only getting visits every couple of days from her son who checks on him. We won't be able to get him until the weekend. The entire situation breaks my heart. Thanks again everyone.