What sounds do your kitties like?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing guaranteed to flush them
out of hiding is to wrinkle and crinkle the treats bag.

Or, similarly, to crumple the cat food bag or open a tin of canned cat food.

What sounds do your kitties like?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely the treat bag
Me asking, "Do you want some of mama's steak/roast beef/turkey/chicken?" The answer is always YES and they come running
Kitten sounds on a video. They come running to see where the little babies are

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
neely neely as im sure you know and for anyone who might see this and not think about it.. these paper bags are a blast for our cats yes.
If unsupervised please remove the bag or remember to cut off the handles.
It actually happened to my friends uncle.. he had a bag like this one out for his cat and wasn't in the same room I think she said her uncle was cooking... He heard some kind of commotion and when he went to look at what was going on he seen his baby with the handle around her neck and I guess it scared her so she took off and got caught on something. Thank God he was home and heard her panicking and was able to help her.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If unsupervised please remove the bag or remember to cut off the handles.
Good reminder! Fortunately Carleton isn't interested in the handles and we do pick the bag(s) up if we're not home or cut them off if we're not in the room. He also likes empty boxes - I throw one of his toy balls in it and he bats it around to make noise.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats will always come running at the crinkle of a treat bag! They also love the sound of a can opening. One of mine loves when I ask him if he wants a lil soup! He goes crazy for those!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My whole group is trained to their names (yes, uniqely) and whistles. But they also will all respond to the treat jar opening/shaking too. My crew does go outside so sometimes response takes a few minutes.

Link-
• Name: 70%
• Whsitle: 95%
• Treat Jar: 80%

Rocket-
• Name: 80%
• Whsitle: 95%
• Treat Jar: 90%

Fury -
• Name: 50%
• Whsitle: 90%
• Treat Jar: 99%

Rabbits (Bonus)
• Name: 20%, Gladys definitely knows her name and will look up, coming is another thing. Frodo does not know his name specifically.
• Treat container opening/shaking: 95%

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This might come as a surprise to everyone, but the sound of the treat bag! :lol: I didn't know there were so many others whose cats responded to the same thing! :thumbsup:

Daisy and Sally are very interested in the sounds of kittens in videos I play on YouTube. I never have figured out if they actually like the sound or not. It is unknown whether Daisy has ever had kittens. She will start searching for them. Sally tries to look for them behind the computer, though she has definitely never had a litter.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Water running in the kitchen sink..she hears it from afar and comes running, sits in front of her placemat like a soldier and waits for food..even if it is not time for food! I guess she was trained to do that in her younger years.

Crinkling paper..she thinks it is a treat bag and comes running.

Robins at 3:am calling in the trees.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morning doves!

If you would play the sound of this video in our house where Casper can hear he'll run to the patio door and start searching outside.

I played it, one time, late at night and Casper went to the door looking for it but he had a quizzical look on his face like he was saying, "What the...? Those birds aren't supposed to be out at this time of night!"

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty and Krista are both trained to appreciate the microwave timer for different reasons.

Krista was briefly on famotidine with the instructions to give her the medicine first and then wait 30 minutes before feeding her. Even though Krista was only on that medicine for a couple of weeks, she learned that the microwave timer going off meant she could finally eat. For the rest of her life after that, I would either have to stop the microwave before it hit zero or have Krista run into the kitchen expecting a meal. 🤦‍♂️
:runningcat:
Betty has learned that setting the microwave timer means that I am available for the next however many minutes to fuss her up, or "rub the flub".

She also knows that in the morning, when I set that first timer, she's also going to get her joint chews. She might still be laying in bed when I finish brushing my teeth and start cooking breakfast. But when that first timer is set, she'll make her way off the bed to the edge of the kitchen for her treats and a rubdown.
:purr:

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats love the sound the dvd player makes when it turns on, after years of watching "Mewvie: Backyard Buffet".

Amazon.com

We mostly watch streaming videos now, like Paul Dinning's Wildlife in Cornwall youtube channel, but sometimes we'll accidentally turn on the dvd player and the kitties go running and sit down in front of the tv, patiently waiting 😂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow likes the sound of the TV coming on. No matter what has gone on during the day or what her anxiety level is, she will come out as soon as she hears me turn it on. It seems to signal to her that everything is back to normal and the house is safe.
And, I'll bet you're sitting or lying down and receptive to her loving attention!