What should get for vitamins?

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
So i want to start adding vitamins to spookys food when the pandemic is over what should be the top ones i should i get

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he eats commercial cat food there's no reason to add vitamins, and it could actually be dangerous.

Is there a particular concern you're trying to remedy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
just trying to keep her heathy shes one and i just want the best for her ive been giving her egg yoke once in a while i heard good things about coconut oil

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good, those things won't hurt her and are nice for a treat now and then. Some fish oil wouldn't hurt (cats do better with animal products so that would be better than coconut oil) but not every day.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
And i dont give her it everyday she gets it once in a while

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probiotcs, maybe. If she doesn't have stomach issues I don't know if it would do any good but it can't hurt anyway.

But no vitamin/mineral supplements under normal circumstances. It's too easy to overdose.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vitamins, be they for humans or pets, are a waste of money, generally speaking.

The body takes in what it needs then excretes the excess. What happens when vitamin supplements are given is that most of them pass out of the body as urine. Since most vitamin supplements are relatively costly, you basically end up with very expensive pee.

If you feed your cat (or yourself) a good, balanced diet vitamin supplements aren’t necessary and most of the money you spend on vitamins literally goes down the toilet.

If you and your vet believe that there is a problem associated with lack of a certain substance in your cat’s diet, you can give supplements to make up for the deficiency but it is often cheaper, easier and better to feed better food that includes the needed thing.

You also need to be careful when giving supplements because certain vitamins like Vitamin-D can be toxic to cats if given too much.

It is always best to make sure that your cat is eating the best, most nutritionally balanced diet and only give vitamin supplements if, and when, your vet tells you that they are needed and only in the amounts necessary.

Giving vitamins “shotgun style” is a bad idea. It is expensive, time consuming and could end up harming your cat more than it helps.

90% of the stuff sold in stores as vitamin supplements or “health food” is little more than snake oil, anyhow. Save your money and use it to buy good food for your cat, instead.

I like the idea of feeding egg yolk, tuna or other goodies. :)

I think it is good to vary your cat’s diet, giving different things to your cat to eat, in small amounts, on a rotating basis. It can keep your cat healthy if you don’t overdo it. Don’t feed too much fish or too much egg, all at once and not for a long time. Just add a spoonful of fish or egg, etc., to your cat’s regular feedings every few days.

It will be good for your cat. It will help prevent your cat getting bored with her food and it will be more fun for you, too.

Your cat will love you for giving her “yummies” to eat instead of the same old, same-old every day. ;)

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
So i buy the tuna in the water and thats ok to mix in her food once in a while with a egg yoke

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper rarely eats anything except his regular cat food. (Dry food alternating with canned food.) He's set in his ways and just doesn't want anything else.

Only on occasion, will he nibble on anything else.

When we, humans, make something with tuna for dinner, we save him a spoonful of the bits from the bottom of the can and he likes to eat that. If I make eggs for breakfast, he likes to have a taste of that, too. Casper likes eggs best when they are loosely scrambled. Just crack and egg into a hot pan with a spot of butter and stir it around. Let it stay kind of "stringy" and don't cook it until it's completely dry. Only cook it about half way... enough to take care of any bacteria but not enough to make it dry and solid.

If I make roast chicken or something and offer him a little piece, he'll sniff it, turn up his nose and walk away.

Once in a blue moon, he'll have a lick of Vegemite. (Never had a cat that didn't like Vegemite, at least a little bit.)

One time when Casper was sick and off his food, I warmed up a bit of liverwurst in the microwave (just warm) and crumbled it up for him. That got him eating again. :)

I would love it if Casper would eat a little chicken or something else, once in a while, but he sticks to his regular old cat food like glue.